Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex v Lancs Day 4

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Taylor really bowled well in Kirtley's absence, i think thats put Taylor ahead of Hutchison now so when Kirtley is back i think Hutch will be the man to make way... Lewry is back in the nets aswell now apparently so could it all be coming together at the right time?

That was Lancashire's 1st defeat of the season aswell :clap:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great result. As I posted on an another thread, I'm a bit bemused why Lord B thought Adams was playing for a draw. They scored at over three runs a day yesterday on a wicket that was showing signs of wear.

I do think Adams is a bit over-cautious in his declarations though - he could have declared 10-15 minutes earlier. Still, who am I to criticise?

Who's going to Colchester next week to see them crush Essex?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
  • County Championship

Pos Team Pld W L D Bt Bw Points
    1... Surrey 12 6 0 6 52 32 192.00
    2... Sussex 12 7 3 2 45 36 187.00
    3... Lancashire 11 3 1 7 45 31 146.00
    4... Middlesex 12 3 1 8 32 31 137.00
    5... Kent 12 3 4 5 36 35 133.00
    6... Warwickshire 12 2 3 7 36 29 122.50
    7... Essex 12 1 3 8 22 33 104.00
    8... Leicestershire 12 0 5 7 29 31 87.50
    9... Nottinghamshire 11 1 6 4 24 31 84.00

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Mushtaq stars again

County Championship Division One, Hove, final day (stumps): Sussex 385 & 383-7 dec. beat Lancashire 377 & 139 by 252 runs
Full scorecard
Sussex captain Chris Adams must have been regretting the timing of his declaration against Lancashire when spin-bowling sensation Mushtaq Ahmed took the final wicket with just 10 balls remaining.

Mushtaq ended with 5-49 to go with figures of 6-124 in the first innings and Sussex are now just five points behind champions Surrey as the title race enters its final stages.

Adams, who made scores of 140 and 190 in the match, waited until just 20 minutes before lunch to close his team's second innings.

That left Lancashire with a notional target of 388 but the win was never really a viable option for the visitors.

Billy Taylor, who would not have played had James Kirtley and Jason Lewry been available, started the rot, taking the first four wickets to fall in an inspired display.

That set the stage up for Mushtaq though dogged displays from Chris Schofield and Warren Hegg almost denied Sussex the win.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Another Match Report...

Mushtaq Ahmed took his season's tally to 82 wickets by taking five for 49 as Sussex narrowed the gap on County Championship leaders Surrey with a win over Lancashire.

Billy Taylor also played an important part in the hosts' 252-run win at Hove by claiming four for 42 in only his third game of the season, as Sussex whittled Surrey's lead to five points.

Third-placed Lancashire, set an improbable 392 to win in a minimum of 75 overs, slipped to their first defeat of the campaign by being bowled out for 139 with just 12 minutes remaining.

Leg-spinner Mushtaq grabbed five of the last six wickets on a slow turning pitch to maintain Sussex's hopes of clinching their first-ever title with four matches remaining.

Mushtaq edged his side to victory in a tense finish as, with fielders all round the bat, he was adjudged to have had skipper Warren Hegg caught at short leg by Richard Montgomerie.

Hegg appeared dismayed at umpire Barry Dudleston's decision having nearly seen his side to safety in defending stubbornly for 71 balls in making 25.

Mushtaq weaved his magic and Lancashire lost wickets steadily after the leg-spinner ended a fifth-wicket stand of 33 in 25 overs between Mal Loye and Chris Schofield.

Taylor produced a spell of four wickets for 20 runs in the space of 33 balls at the top of the innings to have Lancashire fighting a rearguard action.

Sussex skipper Adams, resuming on 147, was earlier dismissed for 190 as his side declared on 383 for seven. Adams hit 21 fours and five sixes when Sussex pulled out 25 minutes before lunch.

:clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2:

Gwylan said:
I'm a bit bemused why Lord B thought Adams was playing for a draw. They scored at over three runs a day yesterday on a wicket that was showing signs of wear.

I do think Adams is a bit over-cautious in his declarations though - he could have declared 10-15 minutes earlier. Still, who am I to criticise?
Why did I think Adams was playing for a draw?

Because he spent until teatime on Saturday scoring at 2.3 an over (when it was quite obvious that a faster rate was possible - and even more obvious, given the availability of the short boundary in front of the pavilion). The fact that, by the end of the day, the rate was above 3 just proves how cautious he was playing.

This game was won despite Adams' tactics. We should have been in a position to declare on Saturday 400 runs ahead, giving us plenty of time to bowl them out. Instead, we had 75 overs available to us - and it took all of 73.2 to get there - 10 balls short of a draw.

We were more than 250 runs clear of Lancashire. What justification is there for a declaration that delivers that margin of comfort?

Thankfully, Mushy is still interested in his bonus payments and Taylor has a place to play for. They won this game, not Adams.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
What a great win.When i left for 6 a side Lancashire were on the rocks but I still thought the game was heading for a draw.Bowling bowling Mushy and Taylor!
:clap2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very unexpected result, certainly never thought they'd win - well done Sussex

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
It's a bit hard to criticise Adams after his magnificent batting performance but I do agree with El Presidente that his not the greatest tatician. Having said that was there anything more exciting than that last hour? Great credit to Taylor, Davis and of course Mushi.
Must go and lie down in a darken room after four days of cricket and get ready for Monday night. Let's hope Sussex inspire the Seagulls. Up the Albion.. Good old Sussex by the Sea!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Get in There!

Come on Sussex!!:clap:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lancs got what they deserved after yesterday's (and this morning's) performance in the field. In the end their time wasting tactics prolonged their agony. OK Adams nearly got it wrong, but who was right in the end? - the league table doesn't lie.

Any truth in the rumour that Mushy is on £1k per wicket? Bet the club didn't reckon on 80+ wickets by mid Aug, hope they've got it covered.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
timbha said:
Lancs got what they deserved after yesterday's (and this morning's) performance in the field. In the end their time wasting tactics prolonged their agony. OK Adams nearly got it wrong, but who was right in the end? - the league table doesn't lie.

Any truth in the rumour that Mushy is on £1k per wicket? Bet the club didn't reckon on 80+ wickets by mid Aug, hope they've got it covered.

Before he signed, Mushy told Peter Moores he would get 100 wickets.

Seems he is good for his word.

The Beaconsfield

Aug 17, 2003
How anybody can criticise Chris Adams after today's display is beyond me. We are exceeding all expectations this season and you only have to look at the reaction of the other players when Adams scores runs to see what he means to them.

Mushtaq is undoubtedly the star of the show but criticising Adams considering the achievements of this team is over the top. Most of us were worried about having to bowl Lancs out in the alloted time but we did it and I'm afraid that ends all arguments.

Adams promised everybody a major contribution after his terrible start and we are getting every bit of it. To criticise him is ridiculous.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
1159279.gif

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sussex are in with a chance of winning the championship for the first time ever and people are carping? Sheer lunacy. Surrey have better players in nearly every position but we are still on their tail. This is similar to the Albion chasing Reading for the Championship two seasons ago and yet lots of whingers were getting at Taylor.

Get behind the team:bounce:

Stumpy Tim

El Presidente said:
Sussex are in with a chance of winning the championship for the first time ever and people are carping? Sheer lunacy. Surrey have better players in nearly every position but we are still on their tail. This is similar to the Albion chasing Reading for the Championship two seasons ago and yet lots of whingers were getting at Taylor.

Get behind the team:bounce:

Amen to that. People wouldn't be criticising if we were mid-table. Expectations are far too high

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here