Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Kent - match thread***

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've sent in answer for this (I don't know if it's right - it's before my time!)

The Gilligan brothers
Maurice tate
Ted Bowley
Vallance Jupp
Tich Cornford
Very good. 5 or 6 there I reckon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very good. 5 or 6 there I reckon.

I found the team. I had five of them - Street was the wicket keeper, not Cornford

EDIT. It seems scarcely necessary to point this out but, despite this being Glamorgan's first first-class match and Sussex having six test players, Sussex lost

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Stevens not a bad performer at 45 and has played every game this season. Our 25year olds need resting after a couple of games

That reminds me that I am older than Jack Simmons was when he retired - never thought I'd see the day. In the 80s, he looked like he was at least in his 60s. David Steele too, although he was younger than he looked.

Simmons.jpgsteele.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Kent settling in for a big batting day tomorrow, 22-0.

EDIT I'm claiming that one! 22-1

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does anyone know why Sky Cricket (or anybody else) aren't covering more county cricket now the IPL is off?

Presumably a whole load of free time to fill. Had they known in advance this would be Jofra's comeback they'd probably be showing us.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've sent in answer for this (I don't know if it's right - it's before my time!)

The Gilligan brothers
Maurice tate
Ted Bowley
Vallance Jupp
Tich Cornford

Not sure Sussex have had 6 Test players this century. In the last forty years, since I first took an interest, these are the ones I remember:

Parker (1 Test)
Greig I
Piggott (1 Test by good fortune of being in New Zealand)
Wells A (1 Test)
Adams
Kirtley
Prior
Jordan
Archer

Only four of those nine were born in England.

Not sure if Archer and Robinson bowling together would be a first. Pretty sure Snow bowled with Grieg T and maybe A.N Other Sussex player.

Edit: Missed out Salisbury.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure Sussex have had 6 Test players this century. In the last forty years, since I first took an interest, these are the ones I remember:

Parker (1 Test)
Greig I
Piggott (1 Test by good fortune of being in New Zealand)
Wells A (1 Test)
Adams
Kirtley
Prior
Jordan
Archer

Only four of those nine were born in England.

Not sure if Archer and Robinson bowling together would be a first. Pretty sure Snow bowled with Grieg T and maybe A.N Other Sussex player.

You missed out Salisbury and Panesar (but Adams wasn't playing for Sussex when he was capped)

Snow and Greig played together many times but didn't open the bowling together

The last time (and I think only time) that Sussex provided both opening bowlers was in 1929 when Arthur Gilligan and Maurice Tate did the honours

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You missed out Salisbury and Panesar (but Adams wasn't playing for Sussex when he was capped)

Snow and Greig played together many times but didn't open the bowling together

The last time (and I think only time) that Sussex provided both opening bowlers was in 1929 when Arthur Gilligan and Maurice Tate did the honours

Adams was Sussex captain when he played in RSA (1999).

Forgot Panesar

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
59-2 and I'm sticking with my prediction of a Kent win by 100-150 runs.

:lolol: That would be poor from Sussex. An innings and 150 runs in our rich vein of form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here