Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sussex Sunday League Football 80s to Today

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Always recall playing for The Palmeira (I think) at Hove Rec. Other side, god knows who, played a 'joker' with a bloke called Darren Freeman with flowing curly locks.

Marked him, played a blinder, knackered me out with all the running but we drew nil each.

He did hit the post though.

Must have been about '93.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Possibly played against you for Durrington (now disbanded), around 1983/84, I was 15 then.
We had some good players from Steyning who were County League champions around then, Littlehampton and Arundel.

I think there was some sort of issue one of those years you won, as a team withdrew in the final week of the season, and instead of awarding a victory to their final opponents (as only one game remaining), all the results were expunged......

To be honest I can't remember the exact facts.....

Don’t remember that, but don’t remember much to be honest! Don’t think that happened as think we won the league in those years quite easy. Think Hove Dynamos were our closest rivals. Think Durrington were before us and disbanded long before we dominated the league for a few years. We had some very good players who played for us for years from the old Steyning league days. Wish I could play again now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I played against AFC George several times.

I played for Gold Star/Kayel Gold Star based in Horsham Park throughout the 80s

Went through the North Divisions and into the Premier League where we played for several years.

There were some good players playing in that league then, including Mark (Lewis's Dad) Dunk who played for Melford (they played at Whitehawk's ground)

Yeap, he left a big scar on my leg, still have it today.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
You would have known my mum as she worked at The George when they won the league Floss a barmaid.

Sure do, Floss was simply the best bar maid ever, as soon as we walked in the bar, she had our glass down and was poring my pint of Bass. RIP Floss

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I played for the mighty Billingshurst Beavers from 1978 - 1986 in the Horsham Mini-Minor League ... until an enforced name change (possibly due to the film Naked Gun) :)

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Lewes & District Sunday Football League.
Anyone ever have the pleasure of playing against Lewes Comets?
This being the Lewes Prison inmates team... funnily enough they were never allowed to play an away fixture, so always two matches at the Prison every season.. 9.30am kickoff so you were back at the pub for 11.30am opening..

They were funny days and some of my most enjoyable if not slightly more aggro filled matches :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Always recall playing for The Palmeira (I think) at Hove Rec. Other side, god knows who, played a 'joker' with a bloke called Darren Freeman with flowing curly locks.

Marked him, played a blinder, knackered me out with all the running but we drew nil each.

He did hit the post though.

Must have been about '93.

Our Corals team (late 80s) included Ted Maybank and Sammy Nelson. Only former Albion I can recall in opposition were Steve Jacobs (Brewery Tap) and Jack Dineen (Tongdean Rovers)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Played for Warren Road for 3 seasons, the final season being the 95-96 season. We won our division and some cup that season. I was a right back but split my knee open early in my final season needing stitches and was out for a month. First game I was out our backup right back scored a hat trick in an 8-0 cup victory so I found myself on the bench for a majority of the season.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
17 divisions back in the day on Sundays, 10 in the Brighton League. So glad I played when I did. Roughly 1976 through to 2010.

Played for Brighton Electricity, Lancing and International Factors on Saturdays.

KTM, Windsor Wanderers, Station Cavaliers and the Hartington on Sundays. Loved every minute.

Both Leagues in a bad way now.

we disbanded our team from the Saturday league last season, in our short time (this being the BHDFL) it went from 4 divisions to 2 which absolutely killed us as we were very much a team of mates who were suddenly up against teams taking it super seriously and destroying us week in, week out. That league is in a really bad way, loads of teams leaving each year with maybe a few joining. Won't be long before it goes to 1 division then it'll probably fold not long after that

I ran our team and the amount of admin required of you is ludicrous for that level

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I played for the mighty Billingshurst Beavers from 1978 - 1986 in the Horsham Mini-Minor League ... until an enforced name change (possibly due to the film Naked Gun) :)

Going off on a tangent, I can top that. Locally in the Sheppey Sunday League we had a new team admitted to the league who called themselves MILF Hunters.

This was a few years ago, and clearly no-one at the league had a clue.... however, after about half a dozen games the penny clearly dropped and their name was shortened to just Hunters!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Lewes & District Sunday Football League.
Anyone ever have the pleasure of playing against Lewes Comets?
This being the Lewes Prison inmates team... funnily enough they were never allowed to play an away fixture, so always two matches at the Prison every season.. 9.30am kickoff so you were back at the pub for 11.30am opening..

They were funny days and some of my most enjoyable if not slightly more aggro filled matches :lolol:

Yep playing for Brighton Post office we played the inmates, remember you had to walk through the gym to get to the changing rooms, the pitches were excellent compared to the crap we usually got to play on.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Sussex Sunday Div 13 1988-89 for Varndean Rangers. Younger and fitter than most opposition so we did well despite the hangovers.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Anyone ever have the pleasure of playing against Lewes Comets? This being the Lewes Prison inmates team...

When I played for Brighton Electricity (and I did for many years), we were drawn against Ford United in the semi final of the oddly named Sussex Junior Cup. This was made up of the inmates AND screws of Ford Prison. 1982/83 season.

When we arrived, it was obviously set up for us to have to walk through the prison gym where a load of them were working out and every one of them just stopped and stared us out.

As for the game, there must have been every single prisoner watching, all up one side of the pitch and behind the goal. So loud and intimidating. As a cocky 22 year old, I loved it.

1-1 at 90 minutes, Ford went 2-1 ahead in the 2nd period of ET and we then scored two late goals to win 3-2. They were not happy. As we walked off I had one screw and one inmate either side of me threatening to kill me.

What a day that was. Lost in the bloody final though!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Nah, realised I wasn't that good at football so thought I would ruin everyone else's Sundays instead.

Ha ha. The reason I stopped playing was I ended up at centre-half and decided all that heading was doing me no good. Another reason was I was fed up of the abuse the ref's took (this was in a London Saturday league). Some idiots never quite understood the old adage "no ref - no game".

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
17 divisions back in the day on Sundays, 10 in the Brighton League. So glad I played when I did. Roughly 1976 through to 2010.

Played for Brighton Electricity, Lancing and International Factors on Saturdays.

KTM, Windsor Wanderers, Station Cavaliers and the Hartington on Sundays. Loved every minute.

Both Leagues in a bad way now.

Some of those look familiar, but you would never catch a flair player wearing a BROWN kit :wink:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Some of those look familiar, but you would never catch a flair player wearing a BROWN kit :wink:

You know me too well Watford. For many years it was brown kit on Saturday AND Sunday for me.

Electricity have a new brown kit this year and we are in our 3rd season in the SCFL, the old County League. And we play at Withdean Stadium these days. Not me I hasten to add, far too old.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
There'll be no Sunday football in ten years. Played in the Hastings Sunday League for many years which was I think seven divisions when I started but down to four when I finished. Once it gets down to one or two divisions it'll soon fold as there's no opportunity for sides to find their natural place, the teams of mates find themselves in with the trophy hunters and get smashed every week.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ha ha. The reason I stopped playing was I ended up at centre-half and decided all that heading was doing me no good. Another reason was I was fed up of the abuse the ref's took (this was in a London Saturday league). Some idiots never quite understood the old adage "no ref - no game".

During my time reffing I heard some really scary stuff that would put people off of reffing, refs being chased by people with hammers, being followed home after the game and being assaulted on the pitch. The worst thing I ever had was being accused of being racist after booking a black player, this was despite booking at least three other white players and not booking the other black player on the pitch - that really hurt.

Also one episode where a bloke completely lost the plot after I gave a free-kick and said " no more of those eh..." he absolutely went off on one, refused to give me his name when I went to book him and then got really aggro to the point where I had to send him off and he stood on the side of the pitch giving me evil looks for the rest of the game. His team-mates said " yeah he does that a lot......" Cheers then.

I did enjoy it for many years, but with the diminishing number of teams/leagues and fewer refs I struggle to see where the next Mike Dean / Kevin Friend is coming from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here