Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sussex Sunday League Football 80s to Today

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Played for Newhaven Town Under 18's in 1990/91 and a couple of times for the first team. Was picked to play for the Sussex FA but was taken off at half time due to being utter dogshit.

Couple of pub teams then packed it in to concentrate on music and getting fat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Played one season for Aymer Athletic in 1990, then became a ref from 1992 till about 2005.

Wow...I played for Aymer athletic when we created the club in the 80’s. I was centre back for a few years and then ended up in goal...all Sussex Sunday divi 13.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You would have known my mum as she worked at The George when they won the league Floss a barmaid.

My Mrs’s nan ran the Walmer Castle, the Golden Cannon, the Constant Service and a couple of others around the area. In the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s Mrs Stockwell.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Aymer athletic have the proud distinction of being the team I managed to score a double hatrick against, admittedly they only had 10 men and my brother was the ref :lolol:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Aymer athletic have the proud distinction of being the team I managed to score a double hatrick against, admittedly they only had 10 men and my brother was the ref :lolol:

You always were good at Subbuteo:wave:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Can I go back a little earlier? I played for Granada FC 1970-71 and unfortunately damaged my neck playing in goal. Ron Pavey was secretary of the SSL at that time, and as I was advised not to play again after the injury he persuaded me to take up refereeing. I followed his suggestion and ended up class 1 ref in Hertfordshire after moving there.

It was amazing just how many teams throughout Sussex there were during this period.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can I go back a little earlier? I played for Granada FC 1970-71 and unfortunately damaged my neck playing in goal. Ron Pavey was secretary of the SSL at that time, and as I was advised not to play again after the injury he persuaded me to take up refereeing. I followed his suggestion and ended up class 1 ref in Hertfordshire after moving there.

It was amazing just how many teams throughout Sussex there were during this period.

Yep, it was an absolutely massive league in its day!

It's a real shame how Sunday football has died over the years - too expensive and too many other distractions I guess...

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
17 divisions back in the day on Sundays, 10 in the Brighton League. So glad I played when I did. Roughly 1976 through to 2010.

Played for Brighton Electricity, Lancing and International Factors on Saturdays.

KTM, Windsor Wanderers, Station Cavaliers and the Hartington on Sundays. Loved every minute.

Both Leagues in a bad way now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Now THAT is what a I call a ringer! Impressive...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here