Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Sunday League all time low?

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
So there is. That must be it. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Sad man that I am, I will have to take a drive up there to check it out!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe Burgess Hill were paying that when they were winning the Sussex County League some years ago.

When I had my pub in Midhurst 2000 ish, a local chap was on £50 playing for Wick. He may have been a 1 off but also played Sundays for a pub side.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Good grief...... just had a look at The Lewes and District Sunday League. A grand total of 13 teams across 2 divisions. When I was playing 20 years ago we pretty much always had a full squad (with hangovers). From memory there were.6 divisions with 11 or 12 teams in each. Subs were £3 a week, home games played at Eastbourne Sixth Form College, Five.Acres, the park by the tennis courts in Old Town and next to Pevensey castle (my favourite).. Played on and off (badly) for Sullys and Castle.Anderida over the course of 3 or 4 seasons. There always seemed be a fight when we played Brophy and The Hurst Arms. Other teams in our division included Edwards High Vacuum, The Sheffield Arms, Grampian Foods, Newhaven Fort, The Brickmakers (Uckfield), Cuckfield, The Grenadier and Happy Valley (who turned out to be a team from Whitehawk who'd been suspended by the Brighton league for collective violent conduct.
Our worst defeat was 15-0, our best victory 12-0.
I threw up in at least 3 games (once after drinking a bottle of pernod the night before, which was particularly unpleasant).

Marvellous scenes.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
When they bang on about non league teams in th FA cup having a postman and a baker it always makes me think of our squad. From memory there was:

A couple of scaffolders, a solicitor, an IFA, 2 sociology teachers, a roofer, a bank manager, a history teacher, a podiatrist, the drummer and one of the guitarists from 'Toploader', a couple of barmen, a French polisher,a hospice worker, a drug dealer, a few blokes on the dole and the chap who looked after the penguin at Drusillas,

Now THAT is a squad.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Started in 78, when I believe there were 14 divisions, as a new team and we worked our way up to Div 8 in 5 seasons before I quit through injury. There were crap facilities then. One season our home pitch was at Hollingbury on one of the pitches next to Ditchling Rd. Bloody nightmare.

The lower divisions weren't necessarily weaker, as new teams tended to be put there. So you had ambitious clubs as well as hopeless cases. We once played a team seven divisions higher in the cup and they were no better than us.

One season our home games were supposed to be played at Mile Oak rec but it was such a quagmire that we ended up playing 'home' matches on the slopes of Stanmer Park. And did better there, actually.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Good grief...... just had a look at The Lewes and District Sunday League. A grand total of 13 teams across 2 divisions. When I was playing 20 years ago we pretty much always had a full squad (with hangovers). From memory there were.6 divisions with 11 or 12 teams in each. Subs were £3 a week, home games played at Eastbourne Sixth Form College, Five.Acres, the park by the tennis courts in Old Town and next to Pevensey castle (my favourite).. Played on and off (badly) for Sullys and Castle.Anderida over the course of 3 or 4 seasons. There always seemed be a fight when we played Brophy and The Hurst Arms. Other teams in our division included Edwards High Vacuum, The Sheffield Arms, Grampian Foods, Newhaven Fort, The Brickmakers (Uckfield), Cuckfield, The Grenadier and Happy Valley (who turned out to be a team from Whitehawk who'd been suspended by the Brighton league for collective violent conduct.
Our worst defeat was 15-0, our best victory 12-0.
I threw up in at least 3 games (once after drinking a bottle of pernod the night before, which was particularly unpleasant).

Marvellous scenes.
Happy Valley = Hikers Rest FC :)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Happy Valley = Hikers Rest FC :)

After the game/ fight I was having a chat and a couple of beers with a few of them in The Hikers and they reckoned our keeper was better then Nicky Rust. I think we lost about 10-0.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here