Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Sunday League all time low?

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
That's the recreation ground on the Downsway Southwick. I can hear the refs whistles from my place.

608b696517d385db342b54e84b081bab.jpg
That could be it but in my mind the pylon was much closer to the corner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Back in the 80's played a few seasons with Wivelsfield Green and one season with St George in the prem - mostly county players having a kick-about and a beer after.
Happy days

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Rememember playing in Div 1 Teams i rememember in league Alpine Rovers, Snipe and Matelots

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
608b696517d385db342b54e84b081bab.jpg
That could be it but in my mind the pylon was much closer to the corner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See the second set of electricity lines where the 19.00 is? Follow the lines down and there's another pylon just to the right of upper pitch.

Have another look at Google.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Being left out of the side for semi final of the cup back around 1974-75. Match was against Market Rovers and we lost 2-1 due to a keeper error. I was playing for St Ives and our manager Mac who was lovely guy, said I didn't have the experience but I'd play all season as the keeper. At 15 bloody hard to take. Large crowds watching at Preston park that day. Overall great memories and with 15 divisions the biggest in the country.

Jul 7, 2003
For my Sunday fun football I preferred the old Steyning League to the Sussex Sunday - not so many people looking to kill you while still p!ssed from the previous night.

There were three memorable pitches from my forays into Brighton & Hove though. There was the pitch at Wild Park where the touchlines were about three feet from the edge of the penalty box - not a place for wingers. There was the pitch up at Patcham by the side of the A23 where the corner flag was at the same level as the crossbar.

The last one was Knoll Rec. First of all, you couldn't find it because it is hidden behind the houses. Then, when you did get to play, when the ball went behind at the south end, you would have to jump over the gravestones to retrieve the ball. Not a major problem usually but when it has hit the flowers just put down by a family on a loved one's grave and they are still standing there, not the best circumstances to ask "please can we have our ball back".

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
For my Sunday fun football I preferred the old Steyning League to the Sussex Sunday - not so many people looking to kill you while still p!ssed from the previous night.

There were three memorable pitches from my forays into Brighton & Hove though. There was the pitch at Wild Park where the touchlines were about three feet from the edge of the penalty box - not a place for wingers. There was the pitch up at Patcham by the side of the A23 where the corner flag was at the same level as the crossbar.

The last one was Knoll Rec. First of all, you couldn't find it because it is hidden behind the houses. Then, when you did get to play, when the ball went behind at the south end, you would have to jump over the gravestones to retrieve the ball. Not a major problem usually but when it has hit the flowers just put down by a family on a loved one's grave and they are still standing there, not the best circumstances to ask "please can we have our ball back".

My team played at Knoll Rec for several years.
First players to arrive had to pick up all the dog shit.
Then we used to sponge off all the water in the goal mouths.
Got my only booking in 22 years there (unbelievable Jeff) for calling the ref a fecking joke.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When I played (and was Secretary too) in the early 80s, I think there were about 15 divisions in the Sussex Sunday league, including the Premier League and two intermediate divisions. As well as Brighton the league covered Crawley, Horsham and East Grinstead. We got to the Premier league which meant travelling from Horsham every other week. Not great on a Sunday morning.

These days Horsham sides play in the Horsham and Worthing Sunday league, the standard of which is shocking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most leagues now do not allow contract players to play so the better players no longer play County standard and above on Saturdays and then Sunday mornings to play with their mates and a beer afterwards.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Plenty playing county(southern combination) then playing on a sunday:ffsparr:

I dont know but I would think the number is a lot less than it was due to FA rules on contract players but possibly the clubs are not aware of their players playing on a Sunday. If I was paying a man £100 + a week or game for my Saturday side I wouldnt be happy with him playing with his mates on a Sunday for fun

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Plenty playing county(southern combination) then playing on a sunday:ffsparr:

if anything it's the clubs that would stop them, not the league

I recall watching SSL Div 1 (top div) in 70's when pitches had to be enclosed. Lower pitches at East Brighton Park had to have canvas down one side and a collection box would go round. Whitehawk Athletic, Newick and Piddinghoe were top teams then.

I dont know but I would think the number is a lot less than it was due to FA rules on contract players but possibly the clubs are not aware of their players playing on a Sunday. If I was paying a man £100 + a week or game for my Saturday side I wouldnt be happy with him playing with his mates on a Sunday for fun

£100 a week:drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here