Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex greatest footballers?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was a keeper at Rotherham for years who went to Boundstone

Wasnt his name ???Wood.

Brian Yeo lived in Lanfranc Rd Worthing for many years before playing for Gillingham.

2 players from Chichester played for Worthing in the 50s went to Liverpool Alan Arnell a n old fashioned centre foreward and Fred (?) Perry a right back.

Noticed nobody has mentioned Dean Hammond.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I did not know Bonnetti was from Worthing

He was responible for me going to my very first professional footie game. He bought a dog from my parents who owned a kennels in Shoreham and gave my dad 4 tickets to a Chelsea v Leeds game in 1970. Was 0-0 - I don't remember much about it.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Gareth was born in Watford, but grew up in Crawley - went to Hazelwick School (as did I)

I was a Bennett Boy, had some proper football and Rugby matches against your lot!!

Good times, albeit a shit school for education!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Was going to nominate the very talented but also rather eccentric CB Fry who played for Sussex and England at cricket and for England footie, but to my horror just discovered he was born in Croydon. Also played for Soton and Portsmouth.......so forget about that then.

Among his other claims to fame was to hold the world long jump record, his party piece was to jump from a standing position onto a mantelpiece and also it is claimed that he tried to persuade Nazi Germany to take up test cricket........

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Tommy Cook born in Cuckfield. Played for England, despite playing in Division 3 South. Never recovered from WWII and committed suicide before his 49th birthday.

and played cricket for Sussex. Good enough to be thought of an an international prospect ish..............

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
One that got away:
Russell Martin.

Released 2004, now plying his trade as (bloody) Norwich's first choice right back having worked his way up from Lewes via Wycombe and Peterborough.

Nickname: 'The Norfolk Cafu'

Born in Brighton, just turned 26, Brighton supporter

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I would love it if we bought Russell Martin off of Norwich in a couple of seasons time after some shonky underhand tapping up scandal

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Dean Cox. Debatable if he should be classed as a great though. Some of the youngsters at work who used to go to school with him in Haywards Heath all say he wasnt that player at school.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here