Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Cricket Partners with Crawley

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Wow. What a shame that the powers that be at the Amex don't have the nous to try to learn something from the cricket lads who are comfortably the most successful sports team in Sussex and the most successful cricket team in the country for the last decade.

What an opportunity missed by the powers that be at the PROBIZ who have teamed up with a second rate two bit bunch of no hopers when they could have teamed up with the fastest developing football club in the country.

Team up with Crawley? No thanks.

Oct 25, 2003
you see LOADS of albion shirts at the county ground, and i'd imagine sussex have far more brighton-based fans than crawley based...don't think i've seen a SINGLE crawley shirt at the county ground

odd

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Feel like I've been cheated on by my wife.

Brighton & Sussex are my first loves.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
:wrong:Huge Marketing error by Mr Brooks and his team. The Albion and Sussex CCC have always had strong links - I remember the days when the legendary Dennis Foreman and Don Bates turned out for both teams, and of course more recently Joe Gatting wore the stripes before joining Sussex. I go to Horsham week every year - never seen any sign of CTFC.

I certainly dont want to travel 25miles to watch League 2 footy at Broadfield (They wont go up!), when I have the comfort of my seat in the WSU and a jolly good pre-match pie and pint!

:wrong:

:wrong:Huge Marketing error by Mr Brooks and his team. The Albion and Sussex CCC have always had strong links - I remember the days when the legendary Dennis Foreman and Don Bates turned out for both teams, and of course more recently Joe Gatting wore the stripes before joining Sussex. I go to Horsham week every year - never seen any sign of CTFC.

I certainly dont want to travel 25miles to watch League 2 footy at Broadfield (They wont go up!), when I have the comfort of my seat in the WSU and a jolly good pre-match pie and pint!

:wrong:

Maybe not, and as someone has already posted it's Sussex (not Brighton & Hove) CCC. The Horsham festival is usually financially marginal at best, often making a loss for SCCC; hence they're trying to get more punters at the Cricketfield. Tbh, I also doubt that Crawley will pick up many; I might go to have a look but it'll still be the Albion for me - and, with an established business, I'd rather have Brooks than Perry as CEO.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
At one of the Sussex cricket forum roadshows in the autumn, the CEO and Chairman were asked about this - from memory, Brooks said that Albion were "out of their league" now and that for pragmatic reasons they had to look for partnerships that were sustainable... they also said that SCCC has the same number of junior members as Hove rugby club.

Truth is, the albion dont currently need to do deals and have reciprocal arrangements with the likes of Sussex...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is it a marketing error? It's not as though the Albion are going to miss out on anything here.

My guess would be that perhaps they're trying to capitalise on a previously untapped market, whereas loads of Albion fans have taken an interest in SCCC before. Crawley has a relatively large Asian population, a sector that traditionally has an interest in cricket (lots of local leagues in the area), so perhaps they were thinking of that?

Either way, I have no idea why anyone on here should be remotely bothered by it :lolol:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
At one of the Sussex cricket forum roadshows in the autumn, the CEO and Chairman were asked about this - from memory, Brooks said that Albion were "out of their league" now and that for pragmatic reasons they had to look for partnerships that were sustainable... they also said that SCCC has the same number of junior members as Hove rugby club.

Truth is, the albion dont currently need to do deals and have reciprocal arrangements with the likes of Sussex...

I find that quite sad TBH...my brother in law is a crawley season ticket holder and I will be asking him for the free tickets..so they will get one extra through the door at least!!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Why is it a marketing error? It's not as though the Albion are going to miss out on anything here.

My guess would be that perhaps they're trying to capitalise on a previously untapped market, whereas loads of Albion fans have taken an interest in SCCC before. Crawley has a relatively large Asian population, a sector that traditionally has an interest in cricket (lots of local leagues in the area), so perhaps they were thinking of that?

Either way, I have no idea why anyone on here should be remotely bothered by it :lolol:

This.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sussex link to many clubs, mainly the village cricket sides obviously, and although I'm not savvy I believe their players dual sign with the bigger clubs in the County? it's all good PR... no snub to BHAFC.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Sussex CCC has very good relationships with the Albion- especially on the commercial side. The Bloom family are long standing cricket fans. Many Sussex followers support the Albion and vice versa.

The link up between SCCC and Crawley FC make sense. Sussex would like more followers from the north of the county to go to cricket at Horsham and Hove. In turn Crawley need more people to go to the Broadfield with more seats going in. By contrast the Albion has a waiting list of 3k for season tickets.

As Sussex represents the whole county no issues imho.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
no dont like this ... SCCC and BHAFC are the two sporting loves of my life , there is no room for crawley town in this bed

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
f*** crawley, I don't want to share my seat with a rival fan at the amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here