Sussex Coastal Towns

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is the coolest resort out of these

• Bognor Regis

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Littlehampton (really the coolest according to a fashion magazine?)

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Worthing

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Eastbourne

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Bexhill

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Hastings

Votes: 9 15.0%

• Total voters

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Hastings.

Go there. And be surprised. It's not what it was.

I lived in Hastings Old Town for 6 months circa 1981 it was quite nice, but the rest was bleak indeed and seemed to be full of bikers, i'm sure it has changed alot.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I was surprised to see that there were other towns than Portslade listed,so I voted for Worthing because I lived and worked there many years ago in a previous (and First Division) existence.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
i thought to qualify as a city there had to be a catherdral, not some dump that is falling down

Either a cathedral, population over a certain criteria or the Sovereign can bestow city status (which was what happened for the Millenium)

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Hastings.

Go there. And be surprised. It's not what it was.

Indeed Lord B. Tatler called Hastings as Notting Hill on Sea,

They are cleaning the place up and the old bohemian crew circ North Lanes in the 1980ies are moving in because we are still jus about affordable

Alexander McQueen has purchased a house here as have the Green and Black founders, Tracy Ewmin was wandering on the prom a few weeks back, graham Norton was drinking here also. Paul Merton and one of the Pet shop Boys live on pett Level and we have some good clubs - the crypt and pubs mainly in the old town. Good bands such as Youngplan

But best of all Richie Morris, the auditor, St leonard and the siverhill warrior and I live here.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Either a cathedral, population over a certain criteria or the Sovereign can bestow city status (which was what happened for the Millenium)

Neither a cathedral nor population are grounds for the granting of city status. A cathedral ceased to be a requirement in the 19th century, and population has never been a factor.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bexhill for me as firstly my great great grandfather ran an Estate Agent business there but the bigger point is the De La Warr pavillion which is the greatest Art Deco building ever IMHO.

Also don't lose sight of the fact that Eddie Izzard was born there

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Neither a cathedral nor population are grounds for the granting of city status. A cathedral ceased to be a requirement in the 19th century, and population has never been a factor.

Leeds hasn't got a cathedral but the population grew.

"The difference between towns and cities

The difference between towns and cities is differently understood in different parts of the English speaking world. There is no one standard international definition of a city: the term may be used either for a town possessing city status; for an urban locality exceeding an arbitrary population size; for a town dominating other towns with particular regional economic or administrative significance. Although city can refer to an agglomeration including suburban and satellite areas, the term is not usually applied to a conurbation (cluster) of distinct urban places, nor for a wider metropolitan area including more than one city, each acting as a focus for parts of the area."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports