Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When will these great young players with loads of potential start to come good? I don't expect miracles but we're consistently nowhere near other teams levels.

It's really frustrating. Give us a glimmer of hope lads.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think the prone who run cricket have let much killed it off with their stupidity and shortsightedness. I have no idea what fixture is being played when (and I'm a further regular at Hove), there's no rhythm to the season and any local affiliation has been broken (players seem to move clubs so often). Add to that the woeful state of our occasionally great club, it makes me weep.

Youngsters have little or no chance of becoming deeply attached to the county.

It feels like are watching the death throes of an entire sport.

Jul 7, 2003
Another embarrassing defeat for Sussex today. No Pujara in the side either.

I sometimes think Rob Andrew is a secret agent for those who want to get rid of the smaller counties. If he is, he is doing a damn fine job of ruining a Sussex cricket.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Another embarrassing defeat for Sussex today. No Pujara in the side either.

I sometimes think Rob Andrew is a secret agent for those who want to get rid of the smaller counties. If he is, he is doing a damn fine job of ruining a Sussex cricket.

Think people have to understand that the 4 day format of the game has been the priority for the club this season. Presently they are in the promotion places with a great chance of promotion back to Division 1.

Blast and Royal London form hasn’t been good enough and that’s no doubt something that will be looked at over the winter.

Farbrace wants a competitive squad that feature in all formats of the game, with some high profile exits (and some squad trimming to no doubt follow) I have every confidence that we will see a much more competitive Sussex in all formats next season.

Keep the faith #GOSBTS

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Think people have to understand that the 4 day format of the game has been the priority for the club this season. Presently they are in the promotion places with a great chance of promotion back to Division 1.

Blast and Royal London form hasn’t been good enough and that’s no doubt something that will be looked at over the winter.

Farbrace wants a competitive squad that feature in all formats of the game, with some high profile exits (and some squad trimming to no doubt follow) I have every confidence that we will see a much more competitive Sussex in all formats next season.

Keep the faith #GOSBTS
Take your point but our performances in the 50 over stuff have been pitiful, we’ve won one game in the championship (early April), and were out of the Blast before we got started. Promotion in the CC is a long shot and would be a disaster unless we make major changes very quickly.

Our bowling attack is the weakest I can remember.

Vetinari

Jan 22, 2023
I agree we are targeting promotion however people pay good money to see the blast and the one day cup and are being massively short changed!!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That young Sussex side were always going to be lambs to the slaughter today at New Road. Just get Tuesday out of the way against Warwickshire, file our white ball season under 'Dreadful' and see what we can do in the four September Championship games left.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
I've completely lost interest in this one day cup and sussex generally. Everytime I check the results we've been absolutely hammered (again). Looks like we're giving the youngsters a go which is probably the right decision when there's not much riding on the games - Lion-Cachet, Tear and Foreman all played today. Currie seems to have bowled reasonably well in some games. No one seems to be able to perform with any consistency - Ward, Haines, Alsop, Coles etc have all shown some promise batting but none got many runs (again) today.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I can’t remember being less interested in a Sussex side than this year. Sad.

Jul 7, 2003

Keep the faith #GOSBTS
I love the optimism but as @timbha said, we have only won one game in the championship so far and 2019 was the last time we won more than 1 game in a championship season and the one day stuff has been embarrassing in the most part.

I don't blame Farbrace - his frustration is obvious.

We've been absolute pants for far too long and that coincides with Rob Andrew being put in charge. In any other world, he would have been either kicked out or voted out a long time ago.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Keep the faith #GOSBTS
With one win it is amazing they are still in with a chance. Among there many drawers were 2 draws against Yorkshire they were certain to lose

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It may not have been noted, but Bertie Foreman, who made his debut today, is the grandson of Denis Foreman.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
TBH I dont even think they're that great these young players. They're just the ones that go to the right schools. Lets face it the club are skint and are effectively putting out a club side plus a few overseas pros

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If we go up (quite possible as Robinson can win games single-handedly) it will be horrible.
We have already done what is probably the bulk of our recruitment (Lamb and Wright) and they are nowhere good enough for Div One. Cast offs, the pair of them.
Also, I think I’m right in saying Robinson and Archer contracts are up at the end of this season.
Sussex would be better off rebuilding in the lower league, so the younger players have a chance to develop in a softer environment. None of them have outgrown division two.
We also need a clear out. Although many of those who should be moved on have been given long contracts. Crocombe, Hunt, Atkins, Clark will all be at Sussex next season despite not setting the world on fire. If it wasn’t for Finn’s intervention, he’d have been knocking around too.
Lenham will probably go - tough call as we wanted him to succeEd, but he hasn’t done enough.
Farbrace will be ruthless where he can. Why give cannonfodder Crocombe a long term contract though? Dear dear.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
TBH I dont even think they're that great these young players. They're just the ones that go to the right schools. Lets face it the club are skint and are effectively putting out a club side plus a few overseas pros
I think thats a little harsh on the youngsters when they've barely started their careers. There are some very good players out there but, for whatever reason, its just not happening for them right now. I have my own opinions on what some of the problems are - but I wont be sharing them on a public forum, understandably.
Didn't someone say a while ago that the club arent skint either?, and that they actually have a healthy amount to fall back on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here