Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Slipping away. 20 overs left (minus 2 for change of innings). Worcester still 8 down. Robinson just collapsed mid-delivery and bus being treated for cramp 🙄

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Obvious statement that we will miss him when he is on England duty?

Any team would miss him.
Any team would indeed miss him but the difference in quality between Robinson and the other Sussex bowlers in this game is embarrassing. Hunt, Crocombe, Atkins , Garton , and the spinners (jury out on Carson) are not good enough to take regular wickets at this level.
The sooner Karvelas and McAndrew return the better, and possibly Brad Currie. Having Steve Smith is fun but it hasn’t strengthened our team as we need McAndrew.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Any team would indeed miss him but the difference in quality between Robinson and the other Sussex bowlers in this game is embarrassing. Hunt, Crocombe, Atkins , Garton , and the spinners (jury out on Carson) are not good enough to take regular wickets at this level.
The sooner Karvelas and McAndrew return the better, and possibly Brad Currie. Having Steve Smith is fun but it hasn’t strengthened our team as we need McAndrew.
The above with bells, whistles and the fanciest of packaging.

Pujara almost has 500 runs for the season.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The above with bells, whistles and the fanciest of packaging.

Pujara almost has 500 runs for the season.
Used to be 1000 runs by the end of May was the metric, but then again we didn't have the County Championship stuffed into the stupid setup we now have.

I would risk a few bob on Pujara getting his 1000 before the end of the month, what a great signing for the club.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Used to be 1000 runs by the end of May was the metric, but then again we didn't have the County Championship stuffed into the stupid setup we now have.

I would risk a few bob on Pujara getting his 1000 before the end of the month, what a great signing for the club.
If he manages it, he'd only be the third since the second world war (and the first since Hick in 1988).
Because there are fewer first class matches now compared to the 60s and earlier, it's only achievable because so many games are wedged into April and May.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If he manages it, he'd only be the third since the second world war (and the first since Hick in 1988).
Because there are fewer first class matches now compared to the 60s and earlier, it's only achievable because so many games are wedged into April and May.
I see Glenn Turner is on there for 1973. Has to be one of the best overseas players ever. My first full season watching county cricket was 1982, he averaged 90 that year- including a treble ton against Warwickshire. 100 odd centuries in county cricket alone.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I see Glenn Turner is on there for 1973. has to be one of the best overseas players ever. My first full season watching county cricket was 1982, he averaged 90 that year- including a treble ton against Warwickshire. 100 odd centuries in county cricket alone.
More specifically, 300 in less than a day against an attack including Bob Willis and Gladstone Small (and Jim Cumbes, who I assume plenty of people on here will remember playing for Villa among other teams).
The description I've read of this innings suggests it largely involved backing away and hacking the bowlers through point, so probably not all that reflective of his normal approach. I'd also guess that Willis wasn't exactly steaming in like Headingley 81.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
More specifically, 300 in less than a day against an attack including Bob Willis and Gladstone Small (and Jim Cumbes, who I assume plenty of people on here will remember playing for Villa among other teams).
The description I've read of this innings suggests it largely involved backing away and hacking the bowlers through point, so probably not all that reflective of his normal approach. I'd also guess that Willis wasn't exactly steaming in like Headingley 81.
Turner was a huge loss to the Kiwis. He didn't play anywhere near as many Tests as he should have done. He played the World Cup in '83 but not the Test series. I don't know why. They could have done with him.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Turner was a huge loss to the Kiwis. He didn't play anywhere near as many Tests as he should have done. He played the World Cup in '83 but not the Test series. I don't know why. They could have done with him.
This article suggests he'd effectively retired from tests in March 1983, at least in part due to disagreements with the NZ board.
As an aside, looking at this led me to an entirely charming article about childhood memories by Jonathan Wilson, hooked on his recollection of the first test of that series.

Jul 7, 2003
After a washout yesterday, Sussex 72/2 from 23 overs. Alsop 18* Pujara 10*

Decent multi camera coverage on YouTube

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here