Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Inviting Australian batsman (former captain and convicted cheat) to play for Sussex is shocking. Giving the opportunity for a convicted cheat to get used to English conditions just before an Ashes series is an act of treachery.

Did i mention that Steve Smith is a convicted cheat?

Not a good look for Sussex CCC.

Get some net sessions in practicing against Robinson and Archer.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I especially like this signing because its a clear sign of intent by Mr Farbrace and his coaches to go with our own young talent at the top of the order. We can now expect a top three of Orr, Haines and Alsopp with the brilliant middle order batter Shadab at 4. As opposed to going for a top class overseas opener who would displace one of our young lads. Plenty to look forward to. #sharklove

I don't think Haines will play in T20's as he historically hasn't.

We do look a top order batter light as we will be without Wright (not that he was in form last summer) + and Rizwan (who could also keep wicket), and we don't have a replacement within the squad.

We still have a spot for one more T20 overseas right? As Rashid isn't returning (or at least no announcement if he is).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Inviting Australian batsman (former captain and convicted cheat) to play for Sussex is shocking. Giving the opportunity for a convicted cheat to get used to English conditions just before an Ashes series is an act of treachery.

Cobblers

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Considering we had Imran Khan as our overseas player for many years, who has freely admitted to taking a bottle top to the ball while at Sussex, I'm not sure it's a hill worth dying on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Considering we had Imran Khan as our overseas player for many years, who has freely admitted to taking a bottle top to the ball while at Sussex, I'm not sure it's a hill worth dying on.
... and, in the last decade, have had two Sussex players banned for betting scams, I'm not sure that we'd have much moral authority to complain.

Besides, I'm really looking forward to see Pujara and Smith batting together

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
... and, in the last decade, have had two Sussex players banned for betting scams, I'm not sure that we'd have much moral authority to complain.

I've been eying the fixture list to see which matches I can make the trip down for. Hoping that there might be at least one game where Robinson and/or Archer are playing as well but I'm not getting my hopes up on that front.
On the ball tampering issue, I'm as close to certain as is possible that picking the seam or deliberately roughing up one side has been as endemic over the years at Sussex as it has every other team in the country. :shrug:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No IPL contract for Garton and hopefully his fitness issues may be behind him. Could be a big player this year and another good batter.

What does the side look like?

Haines
Orr
Clarke
Smith
Pujara
Alsop
Carter
Garton/Ibrahim
Robinson/Atkins/Karvelas
Carson/Crocombe
Archer/Hunt

Smith is only available for 4 matches. Just using us to get acclimatised for the Ashes.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Just because Sussex players have displayed poor morals and behaviours doesn’t mean that us fans don’t have higher standards.

Smith (if he comes) and Pujara might bat together, but Smith is only likely to play one or two home matches so you’ll have to pick your days carefully hoping the weather, fall of wickets, etc are in your favour.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, but remembering Travis Head we know what'll happen: Smith won't get a score in double figures for us - and then he'll get a double century for Australia.

Jul 7, 2003
Could be a big crowd for the only home game that he plays.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yep, Smith, Pujara, Robinson and Labuschagne in the same match ... and not at stupid test match prices. I''ll definitely be there for that
Love watching Labuschagne bat

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'm sure Anderson and Broad will warmly thank Rob Andrew for making the Ashes more competitive...seriously, three matches, what's the point.. ?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
On the club website 'Sussex are also continuing their search for an overseas bowler for the season, following the news of Jayden Seales’ long-term knee injury.'

So if we sign an overseas bowler (much needed) and have Pujara, one of them would have to miss out the 4 games that Smith is here for.

Jul 7, 2003
As a mate of mine said, only Sussex could have two of the best batsmen in the world playing three games and two of them be away from home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here