Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sussex By The Sea - I am ALL in favour.

I did post previously but, I think it was NE who agreed the words were perhaps out of date. We should use the original words OR bring them up to date.

Well done to Moshe and Biscuit for their efforts as it looks good

BUT

Irrespective of words, there is a problem with the key it is performed in - It is too high and most fans cannot reach the higher notes, just listen to what happens when it is sung at the start of a match.

It needs to be to be transcribed into a lower key.

I do agree though that, if sorted, it would be massive and terrifying for the opposition.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great job lads really great. Have you had a reply from TB yet?

I think this is spot on I can see it now

The players line up in the tunnel
Pitchside announcer says lets hear you albion fans look at the screens get behind the team.
Play video
Sing your hearts out
Start of the second verse start to walk the players out
ends on a massive 20,000 people singing as the players line up "AND YOU CAN TELL THEM ALL THAT WE STAND OR FALL FOR SUSSEX BY THE SEA"

You need to keep the second verse just for that line. Hair stands up on the back of the players necks the pride of Sussex which we are. That line being sung every game gives the players that real boost.

Bloody hell im feeling it just writing this post. SEAGULLS
Nice one.

I think it is safe to say that you "get it"...! :lolol:

Hope TB is remotely as keen and presumably it would happen...

Once again today there seemed to be plenty of spare time around the time of the walk-out and just before so I can't really see any problem... the proposed version is only about 30 seconds longer than the music currently played in any case.

My SBTS antennae were obviously on full alert and a nice at least partial rendition at the end of half-time would also seem natural...
The Coventry fans reminded us of how proud fans are of their club anthem. I like their's but it is based on the Eton boat song for goodness sake! The unique provenance of our anthem means it has the potential to be the best in the UK.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I did post previously but, I think it was NE who agreed the words were perhaps out of date. We should use the original words OR bring them up to date.

Well done to Moshe and Biscuit for their efforts as it looks good

BUT

Irrespective of words, there is a problem with the key it is performed in - It is too high and most fans cannot reach the higher notes, just listen to what happens when it is sung at the start of a match.

It needs to be to be transcribed into a lower key.

I do agree though that, if sorted, it would be massive and terrifying for the opposition.
thanks for these comments about the key... I am no expert on massed singing so don't know the answer but I agree there is a potential problem with us all getting too excited too early and setting off towards high notes that we then can't reach... this happens with Liverpool fans singing YNWA...

With practice it is possible to "start low and stay low" and get through without a shift down but I agree that the unpracticed would almost certainly fall into the same trap that catches out the "der-der-de-der-der-der-der" rendition...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It might be a little long but the principle is superb. Definitely leave 'gay' in - it has to be there anyway but imagine the kerfuffle if we took it out. Would quite like to see a couple of Charlie Webb / Peter Ward historic images.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's a definite winner for all those of us who are proud to be from Sussex - bring it on!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
thanks for these comments about the key... I am no expert on massed singing so don't know the answer but I agree there is a potential problem with us all getting too excited too early and setting off towards high notes that we then can't reach... this happens with Liverpool fans singing YNWA...

With practice it is possible to "start low and stay low" and get through without a shift down but I agree that the unpracticed would almost certainly fall into the same trap that catches out the "der-der-de-der-der-der-der" rendition...

It can be sung low. "Think of Swing low sweet chariot" That song is probably as bouncy as SBTS if sung with just one or two people but when 30,000 sing it at Twickers it takes on the low crowd chant.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
I love it. Keep the word Gay, you can't just change words to a traditional song! I don't know all the words to the song so for me this will be fab and I will sing every last word as the team walks out

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If it is sung boisterously enough, the 'second chorus' comes automatically - karaoke or no karaoke words on the screen, and it will be sped up anyway.

As for changing the word at the end of the second line because of some inherent personal concern... give over.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Excellent stuff but the Cup lines must go! Not relevent to the majority of games at the Amex.

HCQ

This. Can't we scrap the lines about the cup and replace with "You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" ? "Going up to win the cup" is alright for the speeded up version.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well Done to all concerned.

I don't think it's too long - why can't it start before the players come out?

Anyway, with all the pre match handshakes etc there's plenty of time for it all.

Well done, now let's hope the club give it a go.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This. Can't we scrap the lines about the cup and replace with "You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" ? "Going up to win the cup" is alright for the speeded up version.
There are lots of "us" who would absolutely love to do that - I personally think it would be much, much stronger and in terms of securing a unique identity and outstanding club anthem it is definitely the way to go...

The proposed words came from Drumstick who has been pushing the more proper singing of SBTS at games for some time.

Any ideas how to decide what is best? Ultimately it will be down to the club, assuming they even go for the concept.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Any ideas how to decide what is best? Ultimately it will be down to the club, assuming they even go for the concept.

How about having Chorus one as the tradtional:

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

...and Chorus two as the football chant.

We're going up and we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the Sea

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Didn't everyone cringe with embarrassment when we put the words to songs on the screens at the start of the season??

What is the difference?

No place in football for karaoke in my opinion.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Great work guys and thanks for your dogged determination in pushing this. What people need to remember is that this song is part of our heritage, and we should be proud of it and everything it stands for.

The words are old-fashioned, but the sentiments are timeless, and if its done properly this could become just as much of a tradition as playing the song has been for many years.

The main sticking point seems to be whether it is too long or not, but the only way to find out is to 'trial it' and see how it goes. The full version is not that much longer, and everyone is going to join in with the chorus anyway.

I hope that Tony Bloom gives it the thumbs up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here