Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great effort and I would LOVE to see this become a reality every week at The Amex. However, the length is definitely a problem. People will not sing it for two minutes. One verse and one chorus is all you need. Cut it down to that and I hope/think you're on to a WINNER:thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments - Biscuit put a huge amount of work into making it as good as it is - I think the concept is sound and the template is there now...

you might be right about length... it would be straightforward to leave out the "We're the men from Sussex" verse, jump to the chorus and only have one chorus... I think this issue divides opinion and merits further discussion

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Very well done but the" Let your hearts be gay" will certainly bring derision from the opposition as we all know the word has changed from being happy ...sure that bit be changed,how I don't know....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think its a great idea. If we have two choruses we should have the first using the traditional words and the second using the 'going up and we'll win the cup'. I know some people will have a dig about the 'gay' bit. Petty I know. It could be changed to now give your hearts a say. Or something equally trite!

Length may be a problem so maly need three versions. One using the full music, one with one chorus and one using the abridged version (which personally dont like). Also at the end we used to have rousing fanfare type ending which isn't on this or the club one.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
That video is fantastic. And for any people uncomfortable with singing the word 'gay', three points:

1 Sussex by the Sea is a traditional football song, with traditional words. Anyone want to sing new words to 'Abide with me' while were at it?

2 If the real words were good enough to be sung by countless thousands of rough, tough squaddies from the Royal Sussex Regiment, that'll do for me.

3 Since when did we give a stuff about what opposition fans think? This is our unique song. Time to man up.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Ken - not sure that is a problem... it doesn't really matter what the players are doing - they can be walking out, shaking hands, running off to do their final warm-ups, whacking a few shots over the bar, etc etc while we sing away...

I think you missed my original point Moshe - the length of the version the club play has to be that short to fit in the reading of the team news for both teams afterwards prior to kick-off - this can't be on the screen at the same time as the team line-up for the away team and our home version with the players appearing can it!

As I say, I like what you've done but for timing purposes the club simply can't/won't go for it - make it just one verse and one chorus to match their own timings and I think you're onto a winner!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
That video is fantastic. And for any people uncomfortable with singing the word 'gay', three points:

1 Sussex by the Sea is a traditional football song, with traditional words. Anyone want to sing new words to 'Abide with me' while were at it?

2 If the real words were good enough to be sung by countless thousands of rough, tough squaddies from the Royal Sussex Regiment, that'll do for me.

3 Since when did we give a stuff about what opposition fans think? This is our unique song. Time to man up.

This.

And for those that say 'It is too long', I say 'I don't think it's long enough' and it should start before the teams come out anyway.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Damn fine video (though why no shots of downtown Crawley in the montage?)

I have to agree that one verse and one chorus is the format that would work, otherwise it's just too long. And I agree entirely with Gilliver on the gay thing - it's traditionational and who gives a stuff what others think, we're more grown up than they are.

Albion4Ev3R

Aug 23, 2010
Hove
Awesome cause at the beginning of every game i feel like the only twat who knows the word to sussex by the sea nice one

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thankyou Moshe and Biscuit, SBTS is an important part of our identity, it must be right for us to try to sing it in unison. I tend to agree with Dumlum's point about "Sussex, Sussex by the sea" but then I try to sing the right words and understand that others aren't as sad as me. The only other suggestion I'd like to add is to change "may tell them all" to "can tell them all"......lets hope the club takes notice!

Good work lads.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Thanks everyone.

I think we need to get everyone singing this. Once everyone knows the lyrics and there is no need for a video no one will care about the word gay.

We need to get 20,000 singing it. It'd send shivers!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Awesome cause at the beginning of every game i feel like the only twat who knows the word to sussex by the sea nice one

Me too I swear people who sit around me think im on crack and making up words. I have started to gee people up and now theres 4-5 people around who sing the words with me.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Great job lads really great. Have you had a reply from TB yet?

I think this is spot on I can see it now

The players line up in the tunnel
Pitchside announcer says lets hear you albion fans look at the screens get behind the team.
Play video
Sing your hearts out
Start of the second verse start to walk the players out
ends on a massive 20,000 people singing as the players line up "AND YOU CAN TELL THEM ALL THAT WE STAND OR FALL FOR SUSSEX BY THE SEA"

You need to keep the second verse just for that line. Hair stands up on the back of the players necks the pride of Sussex which we are. That line being sung every game gives the players that real boost.

Bloody hell im feeling it just writing this post. SEAGULLS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here