Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Surrounding Refs

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
In which case all games would need to be abandoned, each team must have at least seven players on the field for the match to continue.
So be it.
Clubs fine their players as well
Very soon sorted and sorted forever

Rules are rules and refs are there to enforce them

If 4 players from each team get a red for throwing a punch- we don’t let the 9th one off just to continue the match

I best time to implement it is in pre season

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You're right except var doesn't look at yellow cards unless it could be red.
Agree, but I believe refs are now using this back up for when they see a card as a bit orange i.e. I think it was a red, but can't be sure, so I'll issue a yellow and let VAR take a look at it.

The same thing happens in rugby. The ref can give a yellow and indicate a bunker review so that during the 10-minute sin bin the TMO can decide whether or not it's a red.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I watched Saturday's MOTD and there were two Brentford players showing imaginary yellow cards to the ref. I thought this was now a yellow card offense?
As per normal you get an initiative at the start of the season….it’s enforced rigidly for say a few months and then forgotten about …bit like a ref getting a player to take a throw in at the start of a match and then gradually not bothering

Ps
(Not exonerating players from there share of the blame

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I think most concern was that the 1st yellow was for being too close to the ref looking at the var monitor. The second one was a reaction to the 1st.
I must have missed the ref going to look at the var monitor ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I must have missed the ref going to look at the var monitor ?
Im talking about forest away where the ref went to look at var to review the forest penalty and booked dunk initially for being to close to the ref while at the var monitor. To which Dunk stupidly responded with what is quoted to be 'ah f*** off you bald twat' at which point he got a deserved yellow card (the second)

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Im talking about forest away where the ref went to look at var to review the forest penalty and booked dunk initially for being to close to the ref while at the var monitor. To which Dunk stupidly responded with what is quoted to be 'ah f*** off you bald twat' at which point he got a deserved yellow card (the second)
Oh right......consigned to history !

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its the consistency and lack of rule application that scuppers any chance of enforcing anything and gives players the foot in the door to kick off. I hate comparing football to rugby, but by george its night and day..Referees that you can hear, VAR that you can understand, no cheating and diving, consistent application of rules should I go on....

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yet when dunk calls the ref a bald twat and he is quite rightly sent off, the outrage on here was palpable!
There's a fine line between an offence and merely stating truthful facts.

we all complain about officiating, and it is sub standard, however, the lack of discipline and respect from players is the main reason and the biggest problem. Officiating consistently whilst being harassed by cheats and actors is impossible.

and VAR can do one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's the rule in rugby and it works well. Captains are allowed to talk to the referee and request reasoning.

Nigel Owens used to be funny. I remember Chris Robshaw standing over him once and Nigel just wagged the finger 'Christopher !' CR then walked away.

A game with so much violence in it, yet very civil. And rugby refs get a lot more wrong. If there are some dark arts going on in the scrum they will often miss it.
Just before 4mins into this

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
‘**** off you bellend’ according to reports at the time (either option factually accurate on Dunk’s part TBF)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I completely agree with the OP. In what other sport do you see this level of entitlement and disrespect towards the officials ? And yes, BHA have been just as guilty on occasions. Pressurising refs to sway decisions has long been the norm in football, its just accepted. I would totally advocate a rule whereby the ONLY person who can approach the ref is the captain. Anyone else - mandatory yellow. You'll end up with some yellows to reds, but eventually these dickheads will read the memo and get the message.
I 100 percent agree with you

But they wont, they will then be accused of ruining a game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I 100 percent agree with you

But they wont, they will then be accused of ruining a game.
Well then the narrative has to shift and we have to blame the players, not the guy in the middle getting surrounded all the time. If the players know the rules - that if they get in the referees face then they WILL be carded - then when it happens its their own stupid fault for ignoring the rules.

It would take strength and consistency from the officials, but it can be done. Eventually, after numerous punishments, the message would get across. Not least from the managers, who would end up with a bunch of players sitting in the stands for totting up cards just for being dicks.

Brian Clough never stood for it. You never saw his Forest side gobbing off en-masse at the officials. It IS doable.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Completely agree with coaches orchestrating this behaviour for incremental gains.
I think it would be great for us to go completely the other way and be the first team that just accepts the decision and gets on with it.Personally I think it’s awful behaviour and really embarrassing to watch
We should try to start a new trend but it has to start with RDZ

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They should bring Lee Mason back. Even both teams plus subs would struggle to surround him these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here