Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Surrounding Refs

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Most of the outrage was due to the inconsistent application (of this law, as well as dozens of others it seems) - he was rightly sent off but it rarely happens :shrug:
Exactly this. I don't think anyone thought Dunk should be allowed to talk to refs as he did but if anyone thinks Dunk was the first player to have abused a ref in Premier League history they are deluded.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was the standard jostling that you get at set pieces where everyone thinks they are a victim. Dunk ended up dropping to the ground and sitting in the middle of the goal, and some players "trying to get the ball" will have been obstructed by him. Looked to me like Moder was caught between the forest defender and the keeper, the keepr jumps over moder and hits the ball against the defender, and follows through punching the defender. I think it's understandable the defender assumed he was hit by Moder behind him, and the keeper will always try to claim a foul if a player is near him when he he goes for the ball. The players that couldn't get past Dunk, or were involved in their own jostling will also try it on (and remember they already feel like the referees are against them given the drop ball and probably some other decisions they disagreed with).
TL;DR

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
We don’t need ‘new’ rules for the surrounding the ref issue. This is for current season. As is often the case, we see rules implemented vigorously at the start of the season … and then 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 178475
Exactly the rule is there already. Like with VAR and other rules, the issue isn't the rules or the technology it is the referees.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Had this discussion at work after the blue card announcement

Should be zero tolerance and the fairest way to introduce that would be in all pre season matches and then follow it up in the league

Yellow-Red
Yellow-Red

The whole lot of them …. Send off 8 or 10 in every match and stamp it out forever.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yet when dunk calls the ref a bald twat and he is quite rightly sent off, the outrage on here was palpable!
Yep one law for oppsing players misdmeanours, and another much more lenient one for Albion players . . . it's long been the NSC way.

For what its worth l think Moder got away with one yesterday, in another game and with a different ref, it would probably have been a red card.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Something has been done about it - it’s a yellow card offence for more than one player to approach the ref to contest a decision but refs being the contrary and inconsistent creatures that they are can’t even apply the rules properly when it is there to protect them. You can be sure, if they do apply it, we’ll be the ones being made an example of pour encourager les autres 🙄

(Teams should also decide as a matter of policy who that is to save match day confusion - the captain in all situations seems the most sensible to me.)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Had this discussion at work after the blue card announcement

Should be zero tolerance and the fairest way to introduce that would be in all pre season matches and then follow it up in the league

Yellow-Red
Yellow-Red

The whole lot of them …. Send off 8 or 10 in every match and stamp it out forever.
In which case all games would need to be abandoned, each team must have at least seven players on the field for the match to continue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Something has been done about it - it’s a yellow card offence for more than one player to approach the ref to contest a decision but refs being the contrary and inconsistent creatures that they are can’t even apply the rules properly when it is there to protect them. You can be sure, if they do apply it, we’ll be the ones being made an example of pour encourager les autres 🙄

(Teams should also decide as a matter of policy who that is to save match day confusion - the captain in all situations seems the most sensible to me.)
Also, yellow card for running towards a free kick taker (or not moving away) to delay a free kick. And, consistent use of the law we already have about kicking the ball away. There were episodes over the weekend where the ref turned a blind eye to the hoofer. Which, in one or two cases, was both eyes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like the new avatar H - I’m I the only one that thinks Moder looks a bit like WBG in that photo 🤓
Apologies - WBG? I can't get my thoughts past 'Wild Bill'

I made the photo from a freeze frame of yesterday's presser. He's certainly a handsome fellow. Like a younger version of myself.

Ahem.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Agree.

I think the first player to approach - who is not the captain - gets a yellow card. Then for every 10 seconds after that, players get carded.

There's no excuse when a goal is scored that is disputable or a yellow card given that is disputable. Players know that VAR will be looking at it. Except for the captain, they have no reason to approach the ref.

In rugby this never happens. A player would not dream of approaching the ref. They know they would be off.
You're right except var doesn't look at yellow cards unless it could be red.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Agree.

I think the first player to approach - who is not the captain - gets a yellow card. Then for every 10 seconds after that, players get carded.

There's no excuse when a goal is scored that is disputable or a yellow card given that is disputable. Players know that VAR will be looking at it. Except for the captain, they have no reason to approach the ref.

In rugby this never happens. A player would not dream of approaching the ref. They know they would be off.
What makes you think the referees would apply this rule when they don't apply the simpler rule currently in place?

Reactions: SAC

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mischievously, did @HWT create it to show support for Moder after people said he's a waste of space?
No, I made it because he's very handsome, and he looked very happy in that interview, and that pleased me.

It goes without saying that I always rated him as a player.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I also saw us do quite a fair bit of time wasting yesterday. Can you all remind me of this when I Iose my shit over everton and villa doing it to us next season.
In the past Albion have been unable to control and see out a game. I think this was a conscious decision to perfect those skills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here