Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters club

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can't expect people to join an organisation that they don't perceive to be of any benefit, surely?

Of benefit to whom? Surely a strong supporters club would be a benefit to both supporters and club. I guess all the details will be on their website.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Of benefit to whom? Surely a strong supporters club would be a benefit to both supporters and club. I guess all the details will be on their website.

Are you being deliberately obtuse or am I not being clear?

The overwhelming majority of Brighton fans are not members of the supporters club. That's either through not knowing that it exists or being of the opinion that there's no benefits to membership. That puts the onus firmly on the Supporters' Club. Why would an apathetic fan choose to look at the Supporters' Club website? Why would an apathetic fan choose to join the Supporters' Club?

Jan 30, 2008
I've been a member for a few years now. While in exile the monthly almanac that Tim Carder compiles was a wonderful way to keep up with Albion news. There is a match report for each game written by a volunteer that usually goes beyond what you'd expect to see (say) in a newspaper and so not just the bare facts and stats.

They also used to have a club season ticket that allowed me to see my 1st match at the Amex, and also used to have 10% discount at the club shop. Although small in number (300-odd at the moment) were quite a voice in troubled times, and they run a good coach service to away matches. So, all-in-all yes they have provided the fan with valuable service.

Times of course do change. They no longer have club discount or season ticket. Information is much more easy to come by if you want a match report etc. So if they wish to survive I guess the supporters club needs to evolve and grow.

Why not get in touch with them and offer some ideas of what you'd like a supporter's club to porvide?
as a supporters club shouldn't they know what to provide or maybe they're a bit out of touch with things , still waiting for some sort of insight from someone in the know .
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Are you being deliberately obtuse or am I not being clear?

The overwhelming majority of Brighton fans are not members of the supporters club. That's either through not knowing that it exists or being of the opinion that there's no benefits to membership. That puts the onus firmly on the Supporters' Club. Why would an apathetic fan choose to look at the Supporters' Club website? Why would an apathetic fan choose to join the Supporters' Club?
it's a worry when doug can't come up with the facts ???
regards
DR

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just to re-iterate, I'm not saying the Supporters' Club don't provide a great service, I'm just picking up on Doug's assertion that the problem is with other fans for not joining.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually think with the invention of the internet, supporters clubs are becoming an irrelevance. In times gone by the supporters club was just that, a group where like minded people discused the matches, arranged travel etc etc....well now we have all the various sites like this one to do so.

There are many supporters groups out there if anyone wants to get involved.

I am a member of Huddersfield town supporters club and get an email one a month, basically depressing everyone as to the state of things behind the scenes. Their match reports are good and advice as to getting to grounds, ticket availability etc is excellent....but all of that I can get from the various fan sites.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Would 'attached to' be a better description then? I certainly don't thing that they should be 'within' the Club.

I think they're totally independent - at least, they say they are.

I'd guess about as independent as, say, The Albion Roar. In other words, the club doesn't have anything to do with the day-to-day stuff, but sometimes there are some dealings to be had - using the club's facilities to interview David Burke, for instance.

Jan 30, 2008
I actually think with the invention of the internet, supporters clubs are becoming an irrelevance. In times gone by the supporters club was just that, a group where like minded people discused the matches, arranged travel etc etc....well now we have all the various sites like this one to do so.

There are many supporters groups out there if anyone wants to get involved.

I am a member of Huddersfield town supporters club and get an email one a month, basically depressing everyone as to the state of things behind the scenes. Their match reports are good and advice as to getting to grounds, ticket availability etc is excellent....but all of that I can get from the various fan sites.
that's a fair point, it comes across as more of a social club FOR THE FEW THAT ARE INVOLVED .
regards
DR

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The advent of groups such as North-West Sussex Seagulls, Mid-Sussex Seagulls, and Seagulls over Burwash hasn't helped the official Supporters Club either. Although these other groups were set up primarily to arrange cheap coach travel to and from the Amex for games, they have also become unofficial supporters clubs in their own right.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The advent of groups such as North-West Sussex Seagulls, Mid-Sussex Seagulls, and Seagulls over Burwash hasn't helped the official Supporters Club either. Although these other groups were set up primarily to arrange cheap coach travel to and from the Amex for games, they have also become unofficial supporters clubs in their own right.

....especially where they are invited to meetings with the management as representatives of the fans.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
as a supporters club shouldn't they know what to provide or maybe they're a bit out of touch with things , still waiting for some sort of insight from someone in the know .
regards
DR

As a football club, shouldn't the Albion know what to provide - doesn't seem to stop many on here from making suggestions though :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here