Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supply the entire world with solar electiricty

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's encouraging to see more and more panels on roofs these days. Really should be obligatory .

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Solar/wind/wave power does seem to the future.. though I fear oil prices will soar, the less of it is around, until everyone gets greened up.
Then we need to get one man and his tree hugger out of the path of progress..... stop them putting obstacles in the way of every new sustainable energy scheme that gets proposed.......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A leisure battery will store energy in the chemical compounds that make up the anode (typically zinc), cathode (typically copper) and electrolyte (typically SO4 sulphate). These can be charged and discharged thus giving you electrical storage. It's not electricity that is stored though, just the chemical reaction and charge required to produce electricity.

Thanks for this. As you know your stuff on this: Does this mean that solar energy generated can be stored. If so, can it apply to both micro-generation on houses and massive farms in deserts for instance? Also, is it an expensive technology?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The solar panels were put there by the government. All the houses in the area have also been fitted with them. The electricity bills haven't changed in the slightest.

ah, you live in rented, unfortunate for you (re getting benefits of solar). when you find a way to harness magnetism to do useful work you'll be able to afford a lush house and power all your neighbors for free. until then you (and the rest of us) will have to pay for the energy generation and transport we all demand. its clear though that you don't have a clue, so it will be a long wait.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for this. As you know your stuff on this: Does this mean that solar energy generated can be stored. If so, can it apply to both micro-generation on houses and massive farms in deserts for instance? Also, is it an expensive technology?

Not really, but I know a bit about the technology around this (but not a lot!). The domestic market for solar panels is certainly moving toward commercial applications for electrical storage. This seems obvious as for much of the year we live and work away from the home during the day, and use most of our power at night. The problem is space, as you need a bank of batteries to power your house for the evening, however if you have the space, a storage solution is affordable and in the long run you'll get an even better return on your panels.

As for large scale storage, I believe the CSP plants look more at storing the heat generated rather than electrochemical storage (batteries). For example you can store steam for up to say an hour that condenses, but when you lower the pressure in the storage container it turns back to steam and you can start generating electricity again. I think there is also molten salt that retains a huge amount of heat, that during peak hours the solar generator can use excess heat to heat the salt, which can then be used to power the plant overnight.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does this mean that solar energy generated can be stored.

any energy can be stored. its just most the storage methods we have poor, they either dont scale (that old chestnut), inefficient, or take long time to recharge. see this page for some graphs. you'll see on the second pic how petrol sits way up and out on top. this is the problem, fossil fuels are such a damn good store of energy. we've built a world of infrastructure around this and any alternative has to beat it on all fronts to win. thats a big ask, though not impossible.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
ah, you live in rented, unfortunate for you (re getting benefits of solar). when you find a way to harness magnetism to do useful work you'll be able to afford a lush house and power all your neighbors for free. until then you (and the rest of us) will have to pay for the energy generation and transport we all demand. its clear though that you don't have a clue, so it will be a long wait.

Actually my house accommodates a wheel chair very well and meets the requirements of what my family need.

My point was, We have solar panels on top of our roof and no ones lives around here are any better because of it. Why are people getting charged for 'free energy'?

(not that I'm expecting you'll know)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I always imagined Megazone to be in some self sufficient dwelling somewhere. Not a council drum.

You can live without paying an energy company for your needs. I do it half the year, takes a bit of effort but if people realised how cheap it is they be outraged.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I always imagined Megazone to be in some self sufficient dwelling somewhere. Not a council drum.

I live in a working mans cottage built in 1884. It's a very beautiful looking house just off a pedestrian walkway, but it does annoy me when I order a curry, as it has no door number.

But go ahead, let's start slating people who live in council estates?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I live in a working mans cottage built in 1884. It's a very beautiful looking house just off a pedestrian walkway, but it does annoy me when I order a curry, as it has no door number.

But go ahead, let's start slating people who live in council estates?
I think you may have a persecution complex. I wasn't slating you. I was just surprised. You paint yourself as something quite different. I thought you'd be stig of the dump.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Depression is in the past Badfish.

Do you find yourself there quite a lot?

Well the new you is very you. It certainly suits you.

Even you must admit that as online written word gags go, that wasn't bad.

Any chance of expanding on why magnetic energy is cheaper and more ecologically friendly than solar?

Actually now you mention it I do feel like I have been here before.

Still I must apologise for suggesting that you may hijack my thread and head off after a white rabbit. That was remis of me, like you would ever do that.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Actually my house accommodates a wheel chair very well and meets the requirements of what my family need.

My point was, We have solar panels on top of our roof and no ones lives around here are any better because of it. Why are people getting charged for 'free energy'?

(not that I'm expecting you'll know)

Is this your house?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here