Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Super League

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
To be perfectly honest I wish they would set up the ESL and all the greedy 6 with their greedy owners can f**k off.
So the fans of the ‘top 6’ should suffer because of greedy/bad owners that the fans have next to no control over?

You can’t possibly have supported Brighton in the mid-90’s.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
So the fans of the ‘top 6’ should suffer because of greedy/bad owners that the fans have next to no control over?

You can’t possibly have supported Brighton in the mid-90’s.
Calm down and get down off your high horse.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They won't be playing domestic games in this country as the EPL new regulations don't allow it.

This is a dead duck.

The club's pushing for it are all in huge financial trouble they're trying to get a bit of action from the money in the EPL. They will fail as there's no way our clubs will dip their toes into the water again, they can't unless they resign form the EPL.

Can't say I looked into it, as I don't think it will end up happening.

But didn't a judge rule they couldn't face any punishment.

Over on the Man City thread people don't think they will be kicked out as they are a big club, The PL won't kick out actual big clubs, purely from a business POV they won't, they will instantly devalue the league if they boot out United and Liverpool.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can't say I looked into it, as I don't think it will end up happening.

But didn't a judge rule they couldn't face any punishment.

Over on the Man City thread people don't think they will be kicked out as they are a big club, The PL won't kick out actual big clubs, purely from a business POV they won't, they will instantly devalue the league if they boot out United and Liverpool.
A judge in a different country cannot determine what our domestic league does. All the club's have signed up to not joining any other league. Simply put if they do they will not be allowed in the EPL. No judge can overturn a condition of the league rules as agreed by the members of the league.

All the judge in Europe has agreed to, is that there's nothing stopping a new league forming, that's it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
There’s a little part of me that misses the camaraderie of the “war years”. Who’s up for a bit of a march? Don’t forget your hand painted signs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Smoke and mirrors. A22 were set up by Juve, Barca and Real. Nobody seems to know who've they've spoken to but apparently it's 60/80 clubs. To work they need a heavy investment of broadcast money but won't really be able to attract that without EPL clubs (who've all agreed not to sign up to another league). This is all promoted as a meritocratic league with distribution of money yet the only reason Barca, Real and Juve want a super league is so they can disproportionately increase their income!!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blocking clubs from joining a breakaway European Super League will be among the powers held by English football's new independent regulator.

The big clubs will try again.

Could there finally be a Brexit benefit?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The big clubs will try again.

Could there finally be a Brexit benefit?

There could be (a Brexit benefit) but I'm not instantly following what you mean. UK courts ruling differently? I would be astonished if they did. And if they did the EPL would be sliced away from UEFA, no more European club competition, reliant, like the Saudi league, on local money (and SKY, presumably) and massive local support.

Could work....but my guess is that EPL clubs won't challenge it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know I KNOW it won't ever happen - but if Brighton ever made any noises about being open to joining the ESL, how you WOULD react? What lengths would you go to, to try and make sure it didn't happen?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eufa and Fifa must use the our ball our rules defence.
tell the money grabbing clubs they are free to leave, but they must pay the telly money back. It's not just the fans of these clubs that will be unhappy
My guess is they won't want to leave (the EPL), but will want to play 'extra' competitions, and have the right to duck out of the FA cup and League cup in order to do so. Ducking out completely would not be tolerated by the fans. For example, if the Albion left UK football to play in a European super league, I'd give up my season ticket and stop watching, as it would mean my club no longer exists.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My guess is they won't want to leave (the EPL), but will want to play 'extra' competitions, and have the right to duck out of the FA cup and League cup in order to do so. Ducking out completely would not be tolerated by the fans. For example, if the Albion left UK football to play in a European super league, I'd give up my season ticket and stop watching, as it would mean my club no longer extsts.
Yep - probably heading towards some kind of compromise deal within a few seasons with a ramped up version of the Champions League (Europa League being division 2 perhaps) at the expense of anything other than the PL

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My guess is they won't want to leave (the EPL), but will want to play 'extra' competitions, and have the right to duck out of the FA cup and League cup in order to do so. Ducking out completely would not be tolerated by the fans. For example, if the Albion left UK football to play in a European super league, I'd give up my season ticket and stop watching, as it would mean my club no longer extsts.
More likely they would expect to enter the cups at the quarter final stage and be allowed to have bigger squads.
Would please the boys in Lagos and Jeddah no end.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know I KNOW it won't ever happen - but if Brighton ever made any noises about being open to joining the ESL, how you WOULD react? What lengths would you go to, to try and make sure it didn't happen?
I'd literally walk away - no interest in a closed league without relegation from or promotion to. What's the point of seeing BHA v Real Madrid four times a season with nothing riding on it ? I can't even see why the TV companies would pay for such a boring league.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Great stuff, they can get the league under way now and feck off.

I foresee the clubs will play each team 3 times a year, home, away and yes you guessed a neutral venue, like say...
Saudi...

Chelsea, Manchester City & United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham can all piss off

And take Stuart Atwell, Michaël Oliver, Antony Taylor with you.

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
What will be will be...Ive seen Brighton in Europe in my life time now, we did it the hard and proper way so that's one off the bucket list for me. Don't care what happens re ESL now! Just another LIV golf scenario and look how that turned out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here