Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Super Bowl LV - Kansas City Chiefs v Tampa Bay Buccaneers **Official Match Thread**

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I find Americans so engaging. I can remember sitting in a bar in Minneapolis watching the baseball (can't remember who was playing), but as soon as they picked up on my accent, I was weirdly the centre of attention - Brits are far rarer in the midwest than NYC I guess, bit more of a novelty. Anyway, I do have half a clue about baseball so could hold my conversation with them on the game we were watching. But it was the Brit fan culture of "soccer" that they really picked up on. We were there for hours and got absolutely spannered talking shit about BHA, away trips, opposition fans being penned into one section, the perils of relegation, insulting chants, all stuff totally alien to their sports culture. A couple of them are still on my FB from that night (yeah I know I know), but its good catching up with them when they give a shout out to a BHA result.

Always irritates me when I see broad generalisations about "dumb" american sports fans. They're really not. Its just different.

Totally agree. I've had some cracking evenings in bars in Pittsburgh and California watching sports (the former a city not usually frequented by tourists).
The bars over there seem to be geared to watching the games and engaging with the locals. Loved it. And their sense of humour
really comes out when you're watching a game, but it baseball or American footie.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I work for an American media ad agency. We've got a couple running tonight. Last year we had 3, just the 1 this year (more clients wanting social assets instead of TV) but it cost $5.5Million USD and lasts 45 seconds. It does star John Travolta and his daughter Ella, Martha Stewart, Leslie David Baker, NASCAR driver Kyle Busch, Carl Weathers and fitness instructor Emma Lovewell.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I find Americans so engaging. I can remember sitting in a bar in Minneapolis watching the baseball (can't remember who was playing), but as soon as they picked up on my accent, I was weirdly the centre of attention - Brits are far rarer in the midwest than NYC I guess, bit more of a novelty. Anyway, I do have half a clue about baseball so could hold my conversation with them on the game we were watching. But it was the Brit fan culture of "soccer" that they really picked up on. We were there for hours and got absolutely spannered talking shit about BHA, away trips, opposition fans being penned into one section, the perils of relegation, insulting chants, all stuff totally alien to their sports culture. A couple of them are still on my FB from that night (yeah I know I know), but its good catching up with them when they give a shout out to a BHA result.

Always irritates me when I see broad generalisations about "dumb" american sports fans. They're really not. Its just different.
Yes, I've had some thoroughly enjoyable, engaging evenings talking Baseball and Gridiron in Bars/Pubs in the USA.

They've always welcomed my interest in 'their' favoured games and been genuinely enthused to talk Football Rugby - even, on one memorable evening in Chicago, Cricket.

The language of beer and sport(s) is, in my experience, universal.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
These 8k camera shots they do every now and then make it look fake. Is that because I'm watching on the BBC iPlayer feed on my 4k TV (Assume just HD on iPlayer) or is that how 8k will look?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bucs receiving the ball

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Just looked at the price of the Official Super Bowl 55 LV 2021 Superbowl Game Program - £27.99 for the National Edition or £32.99 for the Stadium Edition. Don’t know what the difference between them is, but must have some content to justify that price

Well they’re $16.99 so that’s with a mark up. And $17 is no different from a Wimbledon programme or something similar.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Chiefs FG

3-0

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That was a textbook drive by the Bucs

hart's shirt