Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Super Bowl LV - Kansas City Chiefs v Tampa Bay Buccaneers **Official Match Thread**

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Looking forward to it. Plenty of subplots. The GOAT against the kid, the tight end battle of Kelce v Gronk, etc.

For the uninitiated, Tyreek 'Cheetah' Hill should be worth watching. A lightning quick wide receiver, but was only drafted by the Chiefs in the 5th round.

Brady himself was famously only drafted 199th in the 6th round, so it just goes to show that there's usually some value further down the NFL draft.

Despite the home advantage and the TB12 factor, I'm going for a victory for the AFC and the Chiefs to do back to back SBs by a margin of 8 points.

And even if you don't like American Football, there's always the specially made commercials and the halftime show for a taste of true Americana.

Here's a reminder of last year...

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No because they’re all petrified that Lawrence Taylor is going to turn up, plus Carl Banks, Harry Carson and Pepper Johnson...

You have to be of a certain age to appreciate that post! The Giants always depended on their defensive strength of course.

Marino, Payton and Rice are three of my favourite ever players, was lucky enough to see the first one when I took a long weekend out to Miami (which is a bit of dump BTW), as a bonus they were playing the Indianapolis Colts who had signed Eric Dickerson so managed to see two Hall of Famers in the same game...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Years ago I was in the States with work. One of the locals got us tickets to Houston Oilers. So sat there waiting between plays and nothing apart from hotdogs whizzing past my head, beers being drunk etc. Anyway I asked the local what was going on, oh he said we're waiting for the TV guy to say it's ok to go. 30 seconds of action, then another three hotdogs and two beers, and 30 seconds and so on. No wonder they're so fat, they just sit there eating and drinking.

Oh and three rows in front of us a huge fight broke out.

It appeared to me no one really cared about what was going on in the game. No discussion about plays or anything.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You have to be of a certain age to appreciate that post! The Giants always depended on their defensive strength of course.

Marino, Payton and Rice are three of my favourite ever players, was lucky enough to see the first one when I took a long weekend out to Miami (which is a bit of dump BTW), as a bonus they were playing the Indianapolis Colts who had signed Eric Dickerson so managed to see two Hall of Famers in the same game...

Wow - great experience.

Saw the early Wembley games, the great Chicago team etc....

Giants did have Phil Sims, Joe Morris and Mark Bavarro of course 😉

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Weekend is the half-time show

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

The way the Giants are playing these days it hard to believe they won the SB in 2008 and 2012

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wow - great experience.

Saw the early Wembley games, the great Chicago team etc....

Giants did have Phil Sims, Joe Morris and Mark Bavarro of course 😉

A few years ago Mrs Jakarta and I had a Fly/Drive to New York and then New England.

Sadly she wasn't well on the first night (Sunday) and took to bed early, but I was told I could go out for a beer.

The Giants were playing and I found a Bar where I started talking to the locals. They were amazed that a Limey knew so much about the game and that I could name their own greats such as Phil Simms, Mark Bavaro and Lawrence Taylor.

Suffice to say I didn't buy another beer that night and have no idea how I got back to our Hotel. The Giants won so obviously marvellous scenes...

Thankfully Mrs Jakarta was asleep and didn't see me wobbling into the room around midnight! :lolol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just looked up how long game last. Playing time 1 hour but with all the breaks 3/4 hours

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A few years ago Mrs Jakarta and I had a Fly/Drive to New York and then New England.

Sadly she wasn't well on the first night (Sunday) and took to bed early, but I was told I could go out for a beer.

The Giants were playing and I found a Bar where I started talking to the locals. They were amazed that a Limey knew so much about the game and that I could name their own greats such as Phil Simms, Mark Bavaro and Lawrence Taylor.

Suffice to say I didn't buy another beer that night and have no idea how I got back to our Hotel. The Giants won so obviously marvellous scenes...

Thankfully Mrs Jakarta was asleep and didn't see me wobbling into the room around midnight! :lolol:

Brilliant story..... love it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Brilliant story..... love it....

First time in New York and wasn't what I expected, where we stayed (Washington Square in Greenwich Village) was clean and tidy with friendly locals - obviously didn't mention I was a Dolphins Fan when in the Bar!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I find Americans so engaging. I can remember sitting in a bar in Minneapolis watching the baseball (can't remember who was playing), but as soon as they picked up on my accent, I was weirdly the centre of attention - Brits are far rarer in the midwest than NYC I guess, bit more of a novelty. Anyway, I do have half a clue about baseball so could hold my conversation with them on the game we were watching. But it was the Brit fan culture of "soccer" that they really picked up on. We were there for hours and got absolutely spannered talking shit about BHA, away trips, opposition fans being penned into one section, the perils of relegation, insulting chants, all stuff totally alien to their sports culture. A couple of them are still on my FB from that night (yeah I know I know), but its good catching up with them when they give a shout out to a BHA result.

Always irritates me when I see broad generalisations about "dumb" american sports fans. They're really not. Its just different.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I find Americans so engaging. I can remember sitting in a bar in Minneapolis watching the baseball (can't remember who was playing), but as soon as they picked up on my accent, I was weirdly the centre of attention - Brits are far rarer in the midwest than NYC I guess, bit more of a novelty. Anyway, I do have half a clue about baseball so could hold my conversation with them on the game we were watching. But it was the Brit fan culture of "soccer" that they really picked up on. We were there for hours and got absolutely spannered talking shit about BHA, away trips, opposition fans being penned into one section, the perils of relegation, insulting chants, all stuff totally alien to their sports culture. A couple of them are still on my FB from that night (yeah I know I know), but its good catching up with them when they give a shout out to a BHA result.

Always irritates me when I see broad generalisations about "dumb" american sports fans. They're really not. Its just different.

I agree, made a new friend in 2019 when we visited the States, due to our common love of sport.

First thing that awaited me Thursday morning, was an email highlighting our brilliant display at Anfield.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree, made a new friend in 2019 when we visited the States, due to our common love of sport.

First thing that awaited me Thursday morning, was an email highlighting our brilliant display at Anfield.....

American sports fans just want to TALK.

I went to a Mets v Twins game in NYC in my Twins shirt, so was sat amongst a bunch of Mets fans, and they could not be nicer. We chatted through the whole game, they were great fun. Always interested, always listening, always full of questions. Its just a great experience spending time with american sports fans.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
First time in New York and wasn't what I expected, where we stayed (Washington Square in Greenwich Village) was clean and tidy with friendly locals - obviously didn't mention I was a Dolphins Fan when in the Bar!

I think that's what a lot of Brits find and soon find New Yorkers are easy going, generous and have a wicked sense of humour. I love their directness, which some Brits can interpret as rudeness. If I'm standing at a bar by myself waiting for friends to arrive I often find the locals will just come over, engage and start shooting the shit. In about 15 minutes you've had their life history and opinion on pretty much everything.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Just looked at the price of the Official Super Bowl 55 LV 2021 Superbowl Game Program - £27.99 for the National Edition or £32.99 for the Stadium Edition. Don’t know what the difference between them is, but must have some content to justify that price

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Can’t see beyond the Chiefs, they have the firepower to blow anyone out of the water, but if anyone is going to stop them it’s Tom Brady. I shall watch it on GamePass tomorrow.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Has the potential to be a classic. The Goat versus the young man who yet usurp that title from him. I am really looking forward to the game.

Sadly for me the day has been overshadowed by the extremely sad news of Around the NFL's Chris Wesseling's passing. Such a fine man and along with the other "Heroes" on the show a companion in my ears for many many years. So sad for Lakisha as well as Dan, Marc and Gregg and all that knew Chris personally. He will be missed.

I was gutted when I read Lakisha’s tweet, Wess was such a great man, it’s kind of weird feeling so heartbroken about his passing but you’ll probably understand where I’m coming from on this, I feel like we’ve all been on a journey with the Mailman, from his first battle with his health, his marriage announcement, the birth of Lincoln, all regular listeners of ATN have been on the ride with him. He’s such a loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here