Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland offer

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hoskins has also started running work, so who knows, where this will lead. There seems to be an obsession these days with ideal starting XIs. Football is a squad game, not just due to injuries and suspensions. Top teams will often change tactics and formations depending on the opposition and this works well ,when teams have the luxury of a choice of good options.

Couldn't agree more. However as I said, not sure you can worry about how CMS fits in when considering new signings when the guy might not make it back. I'm simply saying you wouldn't look at the potential signing of Wickham and say we don't need him because we have CMS and Hoskins in the squad.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
My initial reaction to £3m + Wickham for Bridcutt/Buckley was no deal, but that's mainly because I'm still a little reluctant to lose Buckley. I know he's injury prone and inconsistent, but love watching him when he is on form, he's scores more goals than most others we have, and as he's still youngish I'm ever optimistic that he could out grow the susceptibility to injury.

Thinking with my head it'd have to be a hesitant yes, but we MUST get Conway on a permanent deal as a result too.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I must admit that among all the speculation about Buckley being part of a Bridcutt deal with Sunderland I fear that Gus will actually make a cheeky bid for Ulloa, especially as he was a Gus signing.

Gus will know all too well what a great player Buckley is but also just how fragile he is too, but surely he can't afford to pin his hopes of Prem survival on someone who is regularly injured and can't be certain of gaining top form this season. Now Adam Johnson is back in form it would make more sense (for them) to have a target man like Ulloa who could thrive on decent service.

I don't want to see Buckley or Ulloa go but ultimately everyone has their price. On balance losing Buckley would be better business purely because he is rarely fit and on form.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Given that Bridders is downing tools at the moment then any resolution to his transfer is worth it. More than happy with Ince as replacement so would snap up this deal happily. Just think Sunderland will make us wait and get Bridcutt cheaper than we think.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Given that Bridders is downing tools at the moment then any resolution to his transfer is worth it. More than happy with Ince as replacement so would snap up this deal happily. Just think Sunderland will make us wait and get Bridcutt cheaper than we think.

I don't. I think Bloom will make them wait and pay top dollar. If they are getting upwards of £5m for the player Bridcutt is going to replace then it'd be ridiculous for us not to dig in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hoskins has also started running work, so who knows, where this will lead. There seems to be an obsession these days with ideal starting XIs. Football is a squad game, not just due to injuries and suspensions. Top teams will often change tactics and formations depending on the opposition and this works well ,when teams have the luxury of a choice of good options.

Perhaps starting with 2 strikers at home would be worth an experiment

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When you break it down, that isn't a bad deal at all.

However, that is only if you actually value Liam at what he is worth and not what NSC thinks he's worth.

We have a defensive midfielder who is 24 (i think), has never played in the top division, doesn't score goals and isn't physically massive. He is basically our Leon Britton. This is not, for one single moment, to suggest he isnt a quality player, because he is. But teams will NOT value him highly. He is not an 18 year old goalscorer etc. Also, he wants away. Normally I'd say screw player power but if he is going to be a pain then selling would be sensible.

So, personally I would say £2.5m for him would be a VERY good sum. That means Sunderland have, in my mind, offered us the equivalent of Connor Wickham plus £500k for constantly-injured WIll Buckley. Would that not be MASSIVLY tempting. Connor Wickham cost Sunderland £10m lets not forget and is only 20.

Personally, I would take that.....but this could all be bollocks so I may have just wasted 5 mins typing that.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
When you break it down, that isn't a bad deal at all.

However, that is only if you actually value Liam at what he is worth and not what NSC thinks he's worth.

We have a defensive midfielder who is 24 (i think), has never played in the top division, doesn't score goals and isn't physically massive. He is basically our Leon Britton. This is not, for one single moment, to suggest he isnt a quality player, because he is. But teams will NOT value him highly. He is not an 18 year old goalscorer etc. Also, he wants away. Normally I'd say screw player power but if he is going to be a pain then selling would be sensible.

So, personally I would say £2.5m for him would be a VERY good sum. That means Sunderland have, in my mind, offered us the equivalent of Connor Wickham plus £500k for constantly-injured WIll Buckley. Would that not be MASSIVLY tempting. Connor Wickham cost Sunderland £10m lets not forget and is only 20.

Personally, I would take that.....but this could all be bollocks so I may have just wasted 5 mins typing that.

I fear you are right - we would have a better chance of holding out for a top fee for Liam if he had been injury free and on his best form but sadly a) he's just had a long term injury b) since his return he hasn't showed his true form and now c) has been 'rested', so hardly in peak condition at a time when Sunderland need to him to hit the ground running. No doubt Sunderland will use those factors to drive their offer down.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Nonsense. If he is downing tools he can look forward to a year and a half out the game whilst we hold onto his registration and he makes zero money. Again, if Lee Cattermole is worth £5million, Bridcutt is worth £10.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I must admit that among all the speculation about Buckley being part of a Bridcutt deal with Sunderland I fear that Gus will actually make a cheeky bid for Ulloa, especially as he was a Gus signing.

Gus will know all too well what a great player Buckley is but also just how fragile he is too, but surely he can't afford to pin his hopes of Prem survival on someone who is regularly injured and can't be certain of gaining top form this season. Now Adam Johnson is back in form it would make more sense (for them) to have a target man like Ulloa who could thrive on decent service.

I don't want to see Buckley or Ulloa go but ultimately everyone has their price. On balance losing Buckley would be better business purely because he is rarely fit and on form.

The "cheeky bid for Ulloa" suggestion wouldn't surprise me either. Buckley, Bridcutt and Ulloa as a job lot would have to be worth £10m at least. Although this would both put paid to the rest of this season it would also give Oscar the funds for getting in his own players in the summer and some good quality stop gaps for the rest of this season. At the moment the long dark shadow of GP still hangs over the club and we need to exorcise this once and for all.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nonsense. If he is downing tools he can look forward to a year and a half out the game whilst we hold onto his registration and he makes zero money. Again, if Lee Cattermole is worth £5million, Bridcutt is worth £10.

And we miss out on a transfer fee for him? What would be the point of that?

And secondly, Cattermole was 20 and had a brilliant season in the premier league. Of course he was worth far more than 24 year old Liam Bridcutt who has not played in the prem.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

He will have to be paid during those 18 months and at the end of them the club gets nothing for him.

In such a scenario LB would lose out as he wouldn't be as marketable after such a long lay off which is why I can't see it playing out like that.

It is really down to the club now to decide if his value to the team over the next 18 months is greater than what they are being offered plus the wages that will have to be paid during that period. Personally, although he has been my 'favourite' player, I think the club should negotiate the best price they can for him without letting 'personalities' interfere with what is essentially a business transaction.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is really down to the club now to decide if his value to the team over the next 18 months is greater than what they are being offered plus the wages that will have to be paid during that period. Personally, although he has been my 'favourite' player, I think the club should negotiate the best price they can for him without letting 'personalities' interfere with what is essentially a business transaction.

Tony Bloom didn't become a very successful businessman by letting emotions get in the way of doing deals. If Sunderland meet his valuation then the deal will go ahead regardless of who is manager.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He will have to be paid during those 18 months and at the end of them the club gets nothing for him.

In such a scenario LB would lose out as he wouldn't be as marketable after such a long lay off which is why I can't see it playing out like that.

If he is refusing to play we would not need to pay him.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

My only real concern is Ulloa, he always previously looked happy, he doesn't now. Something has happened, has he been told that someone wants to talk to him & we've declined this offer? Ulloa is our only true hope of promotion, without him we may have a happier bank manager but any replacement won't be enough to lift us up a division. I thought after last summers events that things would be calmer by now but this whole transfer window shenanigans is starting to make me feel very uneasy

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If he is refusing to play we would not need to pay him.

Technically he's not refusing to play is he? Didn't he just say something like his head wasn't right, therefore it was the coaching team's decision not to play him in the end. Of course Bridcutt is effectively saying don't play me, but without actually refusing to play. He's not daft.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Technically he's not refusing to play is he? Didn't he just say something like his head wasn't right, therefore it was the coaching team's decision not to play him in the end. Of course Bridcutt is effectively saying don't play me, but without actually refusing to play. He's not daft.

exactly...and to date one match...be interesting to see what happens next tuesday...if he is still here

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I saw an article by Orlandi where he said he understood where Bridcutt was coming from and that he was training well and not talking about his situation to the others. Tellingly he also said, if my memory is correct, that if this transfer was not resolved by the close of the transfer window he knew Liam would knuckle down and give 100% for the rest of the season. I think he may be right, there is no mileage in Liam sulking if the window passes and he is still an Albion player. He will just get on with his game and wait for the summer to see if Gus comes back for him again.

Edit I've found the item

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...rstands-why-liam-bridcutt-is-considering-move

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here