Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sue Gray

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This is what we have done with our hard earned sovereignty.

Sue Gray's report will go straight to the prime minister, who will then decide, what if any rules have been broken, who is responsible and what are the consequences.
I don't know about you, but I get the feeling that this model of accountability may be a little flawed?

I would like to see this addressed outside of how this specific report is received. Setting aside our current Prime Minister who I believe has lied to the House and broken the ministerial oath on multiple occasions, I want to be governed and not ruled. Even the Prime Minister needs to be held accountable and for those willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time, wait until you have some loony leftie pulling the same stunts and sitting in judgement of their own behaviour.

What model of accountability would you like ? The system has always worked this way and has nothing to do with ‘what we have done with our hard earned sovereignty.’

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If this wasn't so important, it would be very funny.

I don't think the report really matters anymore - he's toast.

Yes. The release of the report will be the trigger for an avalanche of letters to go to the chair of the 1922. That's what's being waited for (unless they choose to act sooner).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is what we have done with our hard earned sovereignty.

Sue Gray's report will go straight to the prime minister, who will then decide, what if any rules have been broken, who is responsible and what are the consequences.
I don't know about you, but I get the feeling that this model of accountability may be a little flawed?

I would like to see this addressed outside of how this specific report is received. Setting aside our current Prime Minister who I believe has lied to the House and broken the ministerial oath on multiple occasions, I want to be governed and not ruled. Even the Prime Minister needs to be held accountable and for those willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time, wait until you have some loony leftie pulling the same stunts and sitting in judgement of their own behaviour.

fair point, this sort of inquiry should report back to parliament directly. not go back to the PM to be redrafted or left down the back of the radiator. you'd hope someone of Sue Gray stature wouldnt stand for much of that, and resign if its not accepted.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Couldnt be more less interested on what drink parties took place and enquiry waste of time and money. In the whole scheme of things far more important things for politics to concentrate on. I am still annoyed about brexit
Before this is over people will come up with statements they had drinks with Labour and Lib Dems etc and it will start all over again drinks

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Yeah the plan will be:
- Wait until the report is released, which will show just enough to implicate BJ but probably not the full detail of who attended and when, and no indication that any rules were broken to the extent that the Met need to get in involved
- get enough letters to trigger leadership contest
- get rid of BJ, install new leader
- "we can now put the report and all of this party business behind us while we focus on leading the country out of the pandemic"
- other cabinet members involved in parties can continue on quietly, or are removed for a year or so before being reinstated in a different position

And the sad thing is it will probably be enough for the majority of the public.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
What model of accountability would you like ? The system has always worked this way and has nothing to do with ‘what we have done with our hard earned sovereignty.’

The 'system' used to be that politicians would fall on their sword if caught doing something improper, or they would be sacked. Or if there's nobody above them, their party would remove them. As much as there would have been improper things going on, there was at least a greater sense of integrity, making a self-governing system more likely to work.

This PM & his cabinet have no integrity or shame and will find the technicality, bend the rules, ignore the rules and try to change them after the event, or just appoint someone favourable / with little clout to investigate so there are no consequences.

Should a system that is no longer fit for purpose stay in place just because it has always been that way? (see also: FPTP)

Last edited:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact we know Cummings will be providing her with evidence.

If there is a smoking gun, I don't see how Johnson wriggles his way out of this one?

I hope you are right but i think you will be disappointed. Even if there is a no confidence vote after all this - i suspect he will hang on. Then i believe they cant have another for a year (??)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yeah the plan will be:
- Wait until the report is released, which will show just enough to implicate BJ but probably not the full detail of who attended and when, and no indication that any rules were broken to the extent that the Met need to get in involved
- get enough letters to trigger leadership contest
- flush out as many of the potential scandals as they can so they are linked to the BoJo regime, giving the new leader a fresh start
- get rid of BJ, install new leader
- "we can now put the report and all of this party business behind us while we focus on leading the country out of the pandemic"
- other cabinet members involved in parties can continue on quietly, or are removed for a year or so before being reinstated in a different position

And the sad thing is it will probably be enough for the majority of the public.

You missed a stage, so I've added it for you.

I expect an avalanche of stories in the coming days - unless there's some sort of deal made for him to go 'quietly', but they will still want to drop a reasonable amount of sh|t in his lap before he goes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope you are right but i think you will be disappointed. Even if there is a no confidence vote after all this - i suspect he will hang on. Then i believe they cant have another for a year (??)

To be honest, if someone’s wider goal is the Tories being out at the next election, I think I’d rather Johnson carries on.

Otherwise someone like Sunak is going to come in, look all sensible and and competent and statesmanlike in comparison, and the Tories go back up in the polls.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
To be honest, if someone’s wider goal is the Tories being out at the next election, I think I’d rather Johnson carries on.

Otherwise someone like Sunak is going to come in, look all sensible and and competent and statesmanlike in comparison, and the Tories go back up in the polls.

I don't have a crystal ball or a stake in the decision, but Sunak as prime minister is a much bigger step than most people imagine. All your comparisons are spot on, but I think he has little in the way of a public personality or grass root Tory popularity. I think he will prove to be a very hard sell for people to relate to and will be quite easily brushed aside should he stand.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think he... ...will be quite easily brushed aside should he stand.

He is rather lightweight...

gm-9a5d67d7-0b00-47c6-9851-1397abb07c0e-rishi.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

And scales back on net zero ambitions, continues public sector pay freeze/reductions, limits long overdue payments to the NHS to meet the ongoing rise in demand, privatises further elements of it, oversees continuing growth in the food bank industry (and other banking industries), and pulls a rabbit out the hat just before the election to reduce taxes (most of which goes into the pockets of the wealthy).

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I don't have a crystal ball or a stake in the decision, but Sunak as prime minister is a much bigger step than most people imagine. All your comparisons are spot on, but I think he has little in the way of a public personality or grass root Tory popularity. I think he will prove to be a very hard sell for people to relate to and will be quite easily brushed aside should he stand.

Was the key speaker at a function up in a Golf/Country Club in Cheshire me & Mrs Jakarta were staying at before Christmas (and no we were not there to see him - it has a good Gym/Spa/Swimming Pool!).

Pulled a big crowd of Tory Movers & Shakers including half a dozen MPs - seeing as the Tories have already had two Women PM's I can't see him having a problem as being the first Asian PM.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Was the key speaker at a function up in a Golf/Country Club in Cheshire me & Mrs Jakarta were staying at before Christmas (and no we were not there to see him - it has a good Gym/Spa/Swimming Pool!).

Pulled a big crowd of Tory Movers & Shakers including half a dozen MPs - seeing as the Tories have already had two Women PM's I can't see him having a problem as being the first Asian PM.

Yep, I see the character assassination has begun already but he and Starmer would make for a serious choice at the next election. Way before then there will of course be many on NSC calling him Rishi liar. Sad really.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I think he demonstrated by his childish strop off of a live tv interview earlier in the week that he is probably not got a lot in terms of leadership potential.
Yes, Johnson runs away too when the questions get too difficult but at least he ran and hid in a fridge.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If this wasn't so important, it would be very funny.

I don't think the report really matters anymore - he's toast.

Tory MPs are apparently backing off binning Johnson. Apparently they are impressed with how sorry, how very sorry he is. Therefore they want to wait and see what Sue White's report says.

I think it will focus on the followinfg.

It is clear that rules were broken but the PM sincerely thought that everything that had happened was within the rules.

The PM is very sorry that some people are upset and angry because they think that rules were broken.

It is evidently the case that the PM sincerely apologies for any mistakes that people think may have been made.

Given the strength of the PM's sincerity then it cannot be said that he personally is responsible for any breaches of the regulations that may or may not have taken place.

Er,

That's it.

There will then be a massive rallying around from people who think he is their best hope for retaining their seat in the next GE. Some will be visibly moved.

Defund the BBC

Whatabout Jeremy Corbyn.

Sit on the fence again Starmer.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is certainly my wider goal but I have stated previously that despite being a labour member I would prefer to see Johnson replaced by a decent tory even if it means risking another tory government after the next GE than see Johnson soldier on. Johnson is the worst possible type of ****, plausible, shameless, narcissistic, and capable of destroying anything in the pursuit of vainglory, including the country. He has to go.

The greater good always trumps party politics.

And people used to complain during the Blair era that politics was boring, there was too little difference between the parties, and the various crackpot wheezes conjured up by the tory opposition to make them look different and edgy were easily ignored. Now their wishes have been fulfilled, and we have a government led by someone who has nothing but crackpot wheezes in his locker. And a nudie lady or two, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here