Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sue Gray is Red

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You have a point. Blair set up an instant rebuttal unit to deal with tory medial lies when in opposition. No doubt we have moved on a bit now in terms of organization. I don't see any need for Starmer to do anything presently. If others are correct the appointment has to be sanctioned by Sunak who apparently has the power to set the period of her gardening leave (albeit....although others have said this I have yet to see it confirmed as fact).

My guess is that Sunak will not block the appointment but will coninue his dirty trick of making false claims at the end of PMQT when Starmer can't reply.

Frankly, there are of course people who will always think that all politicians are the same. There are people like NSC's own dear tory trolls JCFG (now posting under a different name) who will always say anything to smear labour and paint he tories in a good light but, frankly, does it really matter?

I suspect Starmer will have to drop a genuine bollock to see his progress to number 10 derailed. There is a million miles between saintly Sue and, er, whatbout Diane Abbott!
In fairness, most Labour supporters do the same with the Tories. It’s okay as you say, nobody is expecting non-partisan, considered and unbiased reactions from a politics thread on an internet forum. Only the elite posters here do that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfortunately he may have, as there are a huge number of rules, regulations, checks, security checks and various other hoops that you have to agree and sign up to, to if you want to be a senior civil servant.

Interestingly enough, none of these rules, regulations or security checks apply if you want to be an MP, Minister of State, or even Prime Minister ???
I have made further reference to this, above.

In short, the best Sunak can do to disrupt this process is, perhaps, to retrospectively invoke a period of gardening leave (just as Dan Ashworth was required to do, albeit this was in Ashworth's contract). Sue Grey has already resigned as a civil servant. So we are simply down to the weird possibility that a tory PM can veto an appointment by the labour party.

Here is what I have found about the appointment process. I can't see anything here that says Sunak can veto anything:

The Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACOBA) considers applications under the business appointment rules about new jobs for former ministers, senior civil servants and other Crown servants.
ACOBA is an advisory non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Cabinet Office.
Read more about what we do

1677843290257.png

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I really fail to see the issue here.

Whether she has resigned or not, anyone is allowed to offer her a job.

Hell, NSC could offer her a job as a moderator. Would JCFG be jumping up and down saying that it's a fix and clearly NSC is a front for the communist party?

If this is all that the Tories have got to cling onto then they are a more desperate bunch than I realised.

Thankfully Sunak has so far steered well clear of this Johnson-led circus. I don't like his politics and I've no idea what will happen at the next election, but we do need a functioning Conservative and Labour party. For too long, we've had neither.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In fairness, most Labour supporters do the same with the Tories. It’s okay as you say, nobody is expecting non-partisan, considered and unbiased reactions from a politics thread on an internet forum. Only the elite posters here do that.
:lolol: Do you mean labour supporters who spoke against Corbyn? ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It amused me, when searching to see who will make the decision on her appointment, that many outlets, Sky News, Independent online and others, are reporting 'Tory FURY' at the appointment.

I am not sure that FURY is likely to be their best strategy. Of course they are furious - that someone with impeccable integrity and talent has been recruited by the enemy.

But is FURY a good look? Johnson supporters are FURIOUSLY demanding that the Sue Grey report, the anticipation of which Johnson so lovingly used as a reason for not making any statements on any talk of any wrongdoing during his brief and unpleasant period as PM, be redacted as Red Labour Lies. Presumably to herald the Return of Johnson as PM.

Good luck with that.

I would have though that sly digs and po-face hubris, of the sort that are meat and two veg for the likes of Mogg, would have been a better strategy than FURY.

Personally I am overjoyed with tory FURY. I find it pleasing, nay, delightful. Long may it continue.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
couldnt think of anyone more detached from the realities of Burnley council estate residents, than a public school prefect married to a billionaire.

He's going beyond John Major 1997 levels of wipeout.

No cost of living crisis in the Sunak household and having the ignominy of shopping in Waitrose when Fortnum and Mason run out of your favourite Wild boar with Apricot and pistacchio pate is as near as he gets to understanding real struggles.

I dont think he'll be PM at the election, the Tories who are pretty efficient at knifing their own, wont walk into electoral suicide without another knight of the long knives. If the polls are still like this come Autumn, fishy Rishy will be ousted.
Does he wear a leather apron?

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I can't see why Keir wanted to get involved in the media now, he has been so good at keeping them off his and the Labour parties back.
Let's hope this calms down quickly, I think he has made a bit of a mess by appointing her.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Johnson can be as furious as he wants but the facts are the facts

Timestamps on the messages also show that the government issued a tier 4 alert, ordering people in south-east England to stay at home over Christmas, while a lockdown party was taking place in Downing Street.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
More irrelevant smoke and mirrors whipped up by the Tories and their buddies in the MSM to muddy the waters whilst they get on with their abhorrent policies.

I think most people are intelligent enough to see it for what it is

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The only issue I see is the furore around this detracts from highlighting the detestable comments in Matt Hancocks Whatsapp texts which are a great insight into Tory thinking.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I can't see why Keir wanted to get involved in the media now, he has been so good at keeping them off his and the Labour parties back.
Let's hope this calms down quickly, I think he has made a bit of a mess by appointing her.
Possibly they took the view that this will be a storm in a teacup, and will subside quickly - and that the longer term objective of having someone of her calibre on their side is worth it. Plus, of course, it reminds everyone of Partygate. Plus, also, the House of Commons investigation is up and running, and will make its own decision soon about whether Johnson deliberately misled Parliament.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only issue I see is the furore around this detracts from highlighting the detestable comments in Matt Hancocks Whatsapp texts which are a great insight into Tory thinking.
I think the reverse. All the Tories jumping up and down about Gray are just reminding everyone of the parties

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t have a dog in the fight but this is as suspect as United getting 10 home games on the bounce in English cup competitions :wink:

Take that how you like

Johnson is not cleared by this development though.

No idea where to post this so here will have to do

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Ofcom need more power, GB News is a slippery slope in broadcast media. You only have to look at the US to see what happens when you have a toothless regulator.

You end up with Fox News, a channel that isn't a news channel at all and has to resort to pure propaganda to exist. Murdoch created a monster and now can't to the gene back in the bottle. See Fox / Dominion ongoing case....

Fox doesn't need propoganda to exist.

More Democrats are watching Fox News during prime time than CNN, according to data from Per Nielsen MRI Fusion.

Fox News also beats both CNN and MSNBC for the largest number of independents watching the network during both the day and prime time.

So yeah there's that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here