subsidised travel zone going west

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes. Why is that, it always seems grossly unfair on us 'easterners' !!
The odd thing is that the travel zone DOES include Southease, Newhaven Town, Newhaven Harbour, Bishopstone and Seaford (five stations SOUTH of Lewes), but not Glynde, Berwick or Polegate. Cooksbridge and Plumpton (north-west of Lewes) are also included.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The odd thing is that the travel zone DOES include Southease, Newhaven Town, Newhaven Harbour, Bishopstone and Seaford (five stations SOUTH of Lewes), but not Glynde, Berwick or Polegate. Cooksbridge and Plumpton (north-west of Lewes) are also included.

Same fare from Lewes to Falmer and Seaford to Falmer innit.
I think the people who get on at Haywards Heath get most value for money.

Well National Rail Enquiries says they are both £3.40 return, so someone's lying. :moo:
I've just checked myself. That's new. It wasn't how it was when the Travel Voucher scheme started.

It doesn't change the basic argument, though. Plumpton - Falmer is £4.90 off-peak day return (free to Albion ticket holders). Glynde - Falmer is £4.50 off-peak day return (Albion ticket holders have to pay £3.20 return for the Glynde - Lewes part of the journey; the Travel Voucher effectively gives them a reduction of just £1.30).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think the people who get on at Haywards Heath get most value for money.

To be fair, any train out of Haywards Heath is value for money, regardless of cost.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've just checked myself. That's new. It wasn't how it was when the Travel Voucher scheme started.

It doesn't change the basic argument, though. Plumpton - Falmer is £4.90 off-peak day return (free to Albion ticket holders). Glynde - Falmer is £4.50 off-peak day return (Albion ticket holders have to pay £3.20 return for the Glynde - Lewes part of the journey; the Travel Voucher effectively gives them a reduction of just £1.30).

Plumpton only happens to be included because it is on the route from Haywards Heath. The cost from Glynde to Lewes does seem high but I've never understood how the railways work out their ticket prices.

Looking at the current boundaries the prices for a CDR are as follows:

Shoreham-Falmer: £4.60
Haywards Heath-Falmer: £6.30
Lewes/Seaford-Falmer: £3.40

Redressing the balance to the lowest fare they would be:

Aldrington-Falmer: £3.30
Preston Park-Falmer: £3.30
Lewes/Seaford-Falmer: £3.40

(STH would contribute 38% of this)

To the highest:

Lancing-Falmer: £6.10
Berwick-Falmer: £6.20

(STH would contribute 21% of this)

Extending the eastern boundary to Polegate as [MENTION=23454]HawkTheSeagull[/MENTION] suggests and adjusting the other boundaries to the same value:

Polegate-Falmer: £7.10
West Worthing-Falmer: £6.80

(STH would contribute 18% of this)

Of course we don't know the exact details of the club's deal with the TOCs, so they maybe pay a bit less.
I'd be in favour of the lowest fare redress (then I would say that), except I would include up to Fishersgate to the west.

Of course we don't know the exact details of the club's deal with the TOCs, so they maybe pay a bit less.
I'd be in favour of the lowest fare redress (then I would say that), except I would include up to Fishersgate to the west.
My guess is that the payment is a lump sum, based on the number of supporters arriving at Falmer station and exiting towards the stadium on the days that they did a count. The price will take no account of where individual supporters started their journey - it will mainly be based on Southern's estimate of how much regular train revenue they are missing out on, compared with what they would get if the voucher scheme didn't exist. That would have to take into account the fact that, without the voucher scheme, fewer people would travel by train. Southern would also want to ensure that the payment is big enough to pay for their extra operating costs, to take into account the extra trains that they are laying on.

In other words, the payment will be a negotiated £X,000 a match, rather than £Y.00 per voucher used.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports