Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbuteo

Oct 25, 2003
i used to LOVE subbuteo, unfortunately it was probably in the midst of it's decline when i was a lad so hardly any of my mates were into it :(

Oct 25, 2003
some of the accessories were BIZARRE....the aforementioned throw in takers were just ridiculous, they put rory delap to shame, they really didn't think that one through at all....and the corner takers who would essentially just punt it really hard across the box....you weren't really going to head it in were you.

the subs bench where the bench was so tiny that it was basically impossible for the subs to stay on for a full game, and they even had a really DOUR manager who was permanently sat with his head in his hands

did anyone else have the cricket version? not sure if it was made by the same people, but i remember it being absolutely INFURIATING

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
London Road Co-op used to sell single players. I had a 'Malmo' who would play for my other teams.

Also remember Match magazine coupons that you saved and sent away for random teams. Got Watford and Charleroi

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes after school round my parents. Tournaments the lot all to a prince/t rex soundtrack!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i was really RUBBISH at it, all my players used to end up in the same corner of the pitch

or on the floor :(

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Essex Eagle,

That did make me laugh - but it's worth pointing out
that the Palace subbuteo team and ground accessories are free if you send in
2 bags of food waste.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Used to love it, the only problem was, so did my cat. Pitch invaded by monster cat, there was a bloodbath and game over.

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
Just got my lad team Subbuteo and he loves it, i had it as a kid and loved it to.

Anyone else play this game when they were young?

Yeah. I had the world cup edition which had stands and floodlights, only thinking the other day I must get it down from the loft for my boy, that's definately on my to do list tonight, mine was from the late seventies so my Brighton team was a classic :lolol:

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
if you buy the Liverpool team now is the weight offset in Suarez so the tosser wont stay upright :facepalm:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yep, I used to love it. Shame no one else in my family liked it as much, but at least it meant I could play against myself most of the time.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Also remember Match magazine coupons that you saved and sent away for random teams. Got Watford and Charleroi

Ha! I did that too - got Ajax.

I remember being in Beatties at the bottom of Dyke Road and almost begging my mum to borrow £1.99 to buy Liverpool

Anyone get one of the '86 'World Cup Squads'? Really pointless - a team of 21 players although I suppose it did have 'spares' for when you'd break a player

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
My own personal favourite Subbuteo accessories.

Attachments

• male streaker.jpg
    male streaker.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 126
  • female streaker.jpg
    female streaker.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 127

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Cor,that reminds me of bits i used to have - the Tango footballs, the ref/linesmen, the replica trophies...loved the scoreboard, though it was unfuriating trying to find and then cut out the teams i wanted at the time.
I never had a decent space big enough to play it that wasn't annoying, so i used my bed with the covers taken off...worked quite well, though the scoreboard used to topple over the edge on more than one occasion :(

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For about 5 yeas in the late 1970s we had a 'Boys Club' (run by a Catholic Priest...) where we played football in our old primary school playground, then ping-pong and Subbuteo in the Church Hall. There were about 20 of us, so we had three divisions, and loads of cup competitions (we even had a EUFA Cup and a Fairs Cup to have as many as possible!). The leagues ran for about 4 months at a time, with 2 games for each of us each week (we had about 5 pitches). It was great, and overall we must have had about 10 'seasons'. I was always in the bottom division - although I did hold the lad who won everything to a 1-1 draw in the European Cup once.

The club was on a Tuesday night and Sundays - so we'd always have the radio on listening to the European nights. I remember clearly listening to Forest v Liverpool - I think it was the European Cup in the good old days when it was only the real champions in it - plus last year's winners. We had a special boys club day on 5 May 1979 with aoout five radios all around us.

Oct 25, 2003
i can't even begin to imagine how much of an absolute BALL ACHE it must've been to play with the subbuteo "grandstands" around the pitch....you're one heavy lean away from a full scale MASSACRE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here