Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbuteo

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Just got my lad team Subbuteo and he loves it, i had it as a kid and loved it to.

Anyone else play this game when they were young?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Still got my set with lots of the original accessories, dating from late 60s/early 70s. Great fun.

They did do some bizarre bits and bobs with it, though. I had spring loaded throw-in players who could chuck it the length of the room, and those weird corner takers who were five times bigger than the rest of the players :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I used to love the stands and floodlights. Made it all seem real as a child

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I had countless amount of teams in my collection. Club sides and international teams. Had the astroturf pitch, scoreboard, stands, terraces and floodlights. Loved the game. Every birthday and christmas would ask for new stuff to add to my collection.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I played it for hours & hours right up until I was in my early 20s
Floodlights , scoreboards , stands , tv gantry , advertising boards , corner kickers , world cup ( blue & red goal nets ) , over 50 teams had the lot

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
loved it as a kid,frequently used to liberate new teams from gamleys in church road,and i can clearly remember playing during the hgihbury semi final and going a bit spazzy when case knocked in THAT free kick...

I was particularly keen on the strips that gave you a whole bunch of teams so you could have all sorts of comps....i remember one team i had was sheff weds, bury,finland AND greece -talk about value (and it was free from gamleys :blush:)..not sure what we would have done if finland had been drawn against greece but there you go..

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Still got my set with lots of the original accessories, dating from late 60s/early 70s. Great fun.

They did do some bizarre bits and bobs with it, though. I had spring loaded throw-in players who could chuck it the length of the room, and those weird corner takers who were five times bigger than the rest of the players :lolol:

Yes, I had those too!

The throw in man was ridiculous, you had to be in another room to make it actually land on the pitch.

Used to live about 200yds from their centre of operations. If you wanted to buy anything you could stroll along, go up a firescape and two elderly gents (presumably the dispatch department) would locate it, sell it and give you a hand written receipt.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
loved it as a kid,frequently used to liberate new teams from gamleys in church road,and i can clearly remember playing during the hgihbury semi final and going a bit spazzy when case knocked in THAT free kick...

I was particularly keen on the strips that gave you a whole bunch of teams so you could have all sorts of comps....i remember one team i had was sheff weds, bury,finland AND greece -talk about value (and it was free from gamleys :blush:)..not sure what we would have done if finland had been drawn against greece but there you go..

Do what i did and buy the away kit sets as well as the home kits

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
They do a Brighton team £14.99

Gone up a bit from 52 1/2p when I got mine then!

subb.jpg

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yep, I played it with my brother. I do not know what happened to the teams, playing field etc. after I left my parent's home.

I had my first set back in the fifties. The players were two-dimensional, flat cut-outs and there were only two team colours available - blue and red. The goalkeepers looked like this ...

subbuteo-games.jpg

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Yep, I played it with my brother. I do not know what happened to the teams, playing field etc. after I left my parent's home.

Mum's either got it in the attic or she's flogged it on Ebay and another NSC has bought it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
My little brother managed to break one player from pretty much every team I owned :(

Each year would ask for a new add on for Xmas and just meant took longer and longer to set up! Good times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here