Suarez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
My point was, its ridiculous to call our club "a cauldron of hate", just as its ridiculous to link some random fellas twitter as if its reflective of Liverpools whole fanbase or even a part of it.

As for Dalglish and Suarez's actions, as I said before in this thread, they obviously believe that theyve done nothing wrong, whether you agree with that is up to you...

The guy at the Oldham game? The guy doing monkey gestures at Evra at Anfield? These incidents are because of Liverpool and Dalglish and are only damaging YOUR club. I don't really believe these people are racist, they're just the same as Suarez, they say and do stuff without thinking, and they believe its ok because of Liverpool's stance in all this.

They are deluded if they think he's done nothing wrong. But that is another matter.

lfc

Sep 2, 2011
The guy at the Oldham game? The guy doing monkey gestures at Evra at Anfield? These incidents are because of Liverpool and Dalglish and are only damaging YOUR club. I don't really believe these people are racist, they're just the same as Suarez, they say and do stuff without thinking, and they believe its ok because of Liverpool's stance in all this.

They are deluded if they think he's done nothing wrong. But that is another matter.

The guy at the Oldham game got released without charge
The monkey gestures fella I think got banned for life from Anfield and I'm assuming got some form of fine/criminal record/community service, although I dont know for definite.
There was also a man utd fan recently who got nicked for making monkey moises at Kenwyne Jones of Stoke.

the combined attendances for the 3 games I've mentioned was around 150,000 - and we've found 2 racists out of 150,000, one of which was a Man U fan....to further that, nearly a million people watch football at Anfield each season...its not even an issue any more in football, UNLESS it is made one by the press and people with agendas....its flavour of the month now, Sky are now bringing up Stuart Pearce calling Paul Ince a "black ****" in 1994....ironically, at the time, Alex Ferguson defended it as a heat of the moment exchange and got on with things...

Its hardly the 80s any more when racism was much more prevelant, and basically, the statistics show that football in England doesnt have a racism problem in general - isolated incidents yes, but nothing like the press would have you beleive...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When I read the report it said that yes it can be used in an inoffensive manner in certain context but the experts failed to see how this could be the case given the two were arguing. Hence he was banned for 8 games.

I have been referring to this point from my memory of an article on the reporting of the findings. My memory was a little sketch so I've looked at the full report

I don't believe he was banned just because they said that. If so, it's on very shaky ground because they also question evra's accuracy of his statement, and the unusual nature of the supposed insult

The experts noted that the use of the verb form "porque tu eres negro" is not the most usual
form for Montevidean Spanish, since the form of the verb "ser" most commonly used
would be the "vos" form, that is "porque (vos) sos negro".
Nevertheless, a small percentage
of people from Montevideo do use the "tu" form (in contrast to Buenos Aires, where it is
rarely used) or even a mixture of both. In the interview with Mr Suarez the transcription
indicated to the experts that he uses the "tu" form of the verb, though there are other
filmed interviews published on the internet in which he uses the "vos" form of the verb.
Given that he has spent some considerable time in Europe it is possible that his use of
Spanish alters between Uruguayan and European contexts. It is also possible that Mr Evra,
who may have learned his Spanish in Spain, where the "vos" form is not used, may, when
recalling the incident in interview, have rendered Mr Suarez’s usage as the "tu" form, even
if Mr Suarez used the "vos" form.

and further on

The experts considered it worth noting that the phrase "porque tu eres negro" struck both
of them as slightly unusual. In this instance, a direct racial slur would more likely have
been something like "porque eres un negro de mierda" [because you are a shitty black].

(I've still not read the whole thing, just wanted to back up my point about the unnatural nature of the supposed insult)

I'd also point to paragraphs 167-176 that go into detail stressing of the the spanish word negro, in particular stressing the lack of racial connotations to it, delineating it from common english racial slurs - which was my main point of the post you quoted.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

.. didn't hear about our idiot at palace then ? I took a black friend to Brentford away a few year ago and he suffered racist abuse from our supporters. Idiots (albeit a few) at all clubs and in society in general.

Luckily it is changing and most Brighton fans I know would readily report some behaivour from our fans to the authorities.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just refused Evra's handshake at Old Trafford. We'll have to hear endless
chat about that instead of football....again.

I can't be bothered to trawl through 5 pages, but Evra is a drama queen, tried it on with the Chelsea ground staff and he has a history of being a typical french wanker... I salute Suarez.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
The people of Liverpool & particularly supporters of Liverpool FC seem to have an inbred victim like mentality. They take responsibility for nothing & always look to blame others for anything they may be accused of. (Heysel was blamed on West Ham & Chelsea fans by many of them). It is therefore no surprise that they can't accept responsibility for the actions of Suarez. Their attitude is the same as it has been for decades & Dalglish is typical. Really hope we beat them next week.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The people of Liverpool & particularly supporters of Liverpool FC seem to have an inbred victim like mentality. They take responsibility for nothing & always look to blame others for anything they may be accused of. (Heysel was blamed on West Ham & Chelsea fans by many of them). It is therefore no surprise that they can't accept responsibility for the actions of Suarez. Their attitude is the same as it has been for decades & Dalglish is typical. Really hope we beat them next week.

The Heysel Stadium claim was actually a fair shout and fans from places such as Southampton were convicted for it. I don't particularly like Liverpool, although I did support them in Europe in the 70's, as opposed to not supporting Manure in the naughties. Evra is a 100% ****... absolutely deserves everything he gets. I am sure whatever Suarez was banned for was hyped up totally by Evra, and I wouldn't shake the racist French cnuts hand either.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
OMFG, Ferguson is such a ****ing low life ****.

Because he cares so much about Liverpool and Liverpool's history, he says Suarez has shamed Liverpool and he should never play for them again. It's not that he wants to cause problems for a rival club at all, oh no, he wants what's best for them. Why is it that all the Liverpool greats, the owners, the manager, the other players haven't come forward and said the same thing yet? I guess Fergie likes Liverpool more than they do.

Quite. I felt nausious as I heard it. Like reading sanctimonious verbage on here from posters who argued that the Black and White Minstrels was only family entertainment.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The Heysel Stadium claim was actually a fair shout and fans from places such as Southampton were convicted for it. I don't particularly like Liverpool, although I did support them in Europe in the 70's, as opposed to not supporting Manure in the naughties. Evra is a 100% ****... absolutely deserves everything he gets. I am sure whatever Suarez was banned for was hyped up totally by Evra, and I wouldn't shake the racist French cnuts hand either.

I can't see why you would support Suarez in this - I hate Man u with a passion but Dalgleish and Suarez have managed to get a majority of people on Evra's side in this. I think Evra was ready to shake hands but Suarez was not going to in any event. Amazingly Fergie manages to come out good in this - normally he avoids saying anything about his players but even after the rant at Suarez and Liverpool he didn't avoid the issue and DID say Evra should not have wound the crowd up at the end.

And Dalgleish is sinking really low in many peoples eyes - I can't see the Liverpool owners being pleased at this and unless Liverpool do really well in the run in I expect him to step down as soon as a quiet moment comes along.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The only person I saw acting like a twat today was Evra, jumping around like he'd won the world cup.

Suarez decided not to shake his hand, it's his decision, at least he acted maturely with all Evra's flying arms and celebrations at the end.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The only person I saw acting like a twat today was Evra, jumping around like he'd won the world cup.

Anyone notice that raphael (?) started doing it too, as if he noticed Evra might get in trouble so by joining in it could be arged "all of us did it, stop picking on Evra".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just seen it on sky. Evra's hand is there, suarez moves right past it. Rio refuses to shake Suarez's hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports