Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suarez: FA publishes reasons for his ban in full

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, you just had to KNOW that Suarez was not simply referring, sweet and innocently, to Evra as a "little black person"(negrito or however his endearing terminology is spelled).
Suarez couldn't deny it completely, so he tried the grey the area and water it down.

Now - if Gus believed his story because he is Uruguayan, or because he has some innate understanding of heritage that allows for belief in your fellow countryman - then I am truly worried for him. As many have already offered, he should really have stayed well clear.

Interesting that the report makes no reference to 'negrito' - Suarez did not claim to use the word nor is that the word which Evra says he heard. So the speculation and debate around that word, of which I and others were a part, proved to be barking up the wrong tree.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It's put Liverpool in the spotlight as they had been backing Suarez.

Doesn't Suarez say he has been calling Glen Johnson it ?

Does Gus really think the same as Suarez and that this is acceptable anywhere?

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
115 pages for a racist insult that's more extensive than some court case submissions

What a waste of time,money and effort
Suarez has come across as very child-like with the pinching and name calling
Liverpool extremely naive in excessive defence of him
What is wrong with a simple apology after the game and be done with (I doubt he has apologized since)
Instead Suarez had just put himself deeper and deeper in it when a hands up would've resolved this pathetic inquest

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Try and read the whole thing. For me, Suarez comes out of it very badly, Kuyt doesn't do himself any favours and I don't think Liverpool do either.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Terry hasn't got away with anything yet. The F.A. can't charge him until the criminal case has been dealt with as any punishment will be seen to prejudice the investigation.

The whole situation is legally interesting. Suarez only had to be judge on the balance of probability while Terry is judged to the much higher beyond reasonable doubt.

If Terry is found innocent in court but there is evidence to suggest he was guilty, will the FA give him a hearing?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What a waste of time,money and effort
Suarez has come across as very child-like with the pinching and name calling
Liverpool extremely naive in excessive defence of him
What is wrong with a simple apology after the game and be done with (I doubt he has apologized since)
Instead Suarez had just put himself deeper and deeper in it when a hands up would've resolved this pathetic inquest

He can't apologise because he doesn't think he has done anything wrong. In his and the others supporting him (including Gus and Liverpool) they are trying to wash over what was said by trivialising it.

You cannot justify what Suarez said in any circumstances or country. Even in insults and wind ups there are differences in what can be said. Calling someone a lanky twat against mocking their brother or sisters illness for example.

You can shake hands and say sorry for calling someone an idiot but how can you apologise for something you actually think is acceptable and normal in everyday life. Like all racists he doesn't think it's that bad and he probably thinks Evra is a lower class because of his skin colour.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
The whole situation is legally interesting. Suarez only had to be judge on the balance of probability while Terry is judged to the much higher beyond reasonable doubt.

If Terry is found innocent in court but there is evidence to suggest he was guilty, will the FA give him a hearing?

They may well do ... in a criminal case, it has to be proven 'beyond reasonable doubt' that Terry is guilty whereas for the FA case, it's the balance of probability that has to be shown.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
He can't apologise because he doesn't think he has done anything wrong. In his and the others supporting him (including Gus and Liverpool) they are trying to wash over what was said by trivialising it.

You cannot justify what Suarez said in any circumstances or country. Even in insults and wind ups there are differences in what can be said. Calling someone a lanky twat against mocking their brother or sisters illness for example.

You can shake hands and say sorry for calling someone an idiot but how can you apologise for something you actually think is acceptable and normal in everyday life. Like all racists he doesn't think it's that bad and he probably thinks Evra is a lower class because of his skin colour.

I'm sure he knows he was being racist
Trying to lie his way out of trouble, the club should have told him to apologize from the start to save all this inquest

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's put Liverpool in the spotlight as they had been backing Suarez.

Doesn't Suarez say he has been calling Glen Johnson it ?

Does Gus really think the same as Suarez and that this is acceptable anywhere?

I think part of his defence was that he called Yaya Toure the same thing last season. Well, don't worry about than Suarez...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They may well do ... in a criminal case, it has to be proven 'beyond reasonable doubt' that Terry is guilty whereas for the FA case, it's the balance of probability that has to be shown.

A reasonable analysis, although will the FA have the guts if he is found innocent in court?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder what Gus has to say on all this...

Was an idiot for leaping to his defence.

Yup. Suarez, Liverpool and Gus all harmed by this. The problem with his club, colleagues and countrymen leaping to his defence without full facts was that if he WAS guilty, they are basically condoning racism.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yup. Suarez, Liverpool and Gus all harmed by this. The problem with his club, colleagues and countrymen leaping to his defence without full facts was that if he WAS guilty, they are basically condoning racism.

Exactly. Gus should have kept his nose out other than, if asked, saying something like, "I have got to know Suarez since he arrived in English football and don't believe he is racist, but if he has been he should be punished etc etc."

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Evra was hardly the innocent victim.

Mr Evra stated that the goalmouth incident started when he addressed Mr Suarez,
beginning with the phrase "Concha de tu hermana". According to the experts, the literal
translation is "your sister's ****" and it can be taken as a general swear word expressing
anger, although the word "concha" is not as taboo as the English word "****". It is thus
equivalent to "f***ing hell" or "f*** me". If directed at someone in particular, it can also be
understood as "[you] son of a bitch".

You are quick to denounce Evra, but no criticism of Suarez? Your post may be interpreted as racism is tolerable if provoked?

I have followed your posts on this issue since day 1, and now we have the official report, still no condemnation of Suarez (or Gus for blindly sticking up for him).

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Surely the transcript of what was said was purely what Evra told them it was with no other evidence. I still fail.to understand how they can charge Suarez on that basis. The are effectively saying they dont believe Suarrez. I can see why Liverpool are upset.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Surely the transcript of what was said was purely what Evra told them it was with no other evidence. I still fail.to understand how they can charge Suarez on that basis. The are effectively saying they dont believe Suarrez. I can see why Liverpool are upset.

Perhaps because Suarez's ever-changing statement contradicted that or Dirk Kuyt, who was doing his best to defend him...

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11

You're sort of right, but only sort of.

Evra complained bitterly during and after the game. His statements and recollection have been consistent and match the video evidence from the game, though no one was able to lip-read what Suarez said. Evra admitted he had sworn at Suarez but Suarez hadn't heard him.

On the other hand Suarez's version of events differed between statements, he was evasive at the hearing and he tried to provide an explanation for his language that the experts didn't accept.

So no one else could corroborate Evra's recollection but on the balance of probability the commission accepted that Suarez is a **** and banned him accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here