Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student deal last tuesday...............

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You sound like an Iranian dessert you xxxx

He's named after a former Albion player, Mick. Are you one of the 'new fans that supported Chelsea before the Amex was built'? And please don't use the word I've edited out - everytime it appear on NSC, we have to deal with half a dozen complaints.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Cant see any of them returning after that performance .If it was the doughnuts chanting "we are top of the league" i presume in reference to Arsenal as they came out the North west corner GOOD! We dont need any more two club bell ends .

They were probably referring to the pie league

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Cant see any of them returning after that performance .If it was the doughnuts chanting "we are top of the league" i presume in reference to Arsenal as they came out the North west corner GOOD! We dont need any more two club bell ends .

Yeah you tell 'em, Mick.

How dare the club try and use their iniative to fill the excess seats! There's always been a fair amount of criticism levelled at the club's marketing department for not introducing more promotions of this kind, particularly with reference to the large student population.

From what you say, there were chanting as they LEFT the ground. It's not like they were standing up during the game.

If this has wound you up as much as your post suggests, you must have a pretty stress-free life on the whole. :thumbsup:

Can't help but think there is an agenda here.

Student football fans go to watch local football wherever they find themselves studying, it's far from a unique situation at Brighton. I wonder what the OPs problem is with this quite normal state of affairs in a University area?
Indeed. I went to my first game at the Goldstone when I found myself (then a Birmingham City supporter) living as a student in Hove. An Albion supporting mate suggested a walk along Old Shoreham Road might be a good idea. I'm now an Albion supporter.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
@ Super phil "there were 600 odd fans at the other end who occasionally sung Sheffield Wednesday songs," ....youre not really getting it are you . Dunno whether you noticed ARSENAL WERN'T PLAYING!

They were playing actually, about 60 miles away and yes they are top of the league

1 Arsenal 2 3 6
2 Napoli 2 -1 3
3 Borussia Dortmund 2 2 3
4 Marseille 2 -4 0

so, who actually cares, it was outside the ground, their seats were full rather than empty, they may decide to come again (more cash for the club), do be careful when you get off your high horse, don't want you to fall and hurt yourself

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I went to Brighton University when I was 26 and I have supported the Albion since the age of 8 so not a kid and not a 2 team Johnny. I used to regularly go to the Goldstone even on student money and in those days you had to spend a fortune on ale as the team were so poor.

I would jump at the offer of a £15 ticket for the Amex so good ideal in my book.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The club were selling these tickets to students at Brighton University. The club should be applauded for this type of enterprise. I am more than happy for thousands of students to adopt us as their second club and come and spend money in the stadium, I don't understand why anyone would be upset by this?
I Agree but they should also give tickets to brighton fustal team as many them are not seagull Surporters going by the players profiles!!!!

Jimmy Grimble

I was in the North West section for the game (I'm a ST holder in the North but my friend and I decided to 'sneak' in there to sample the view) so might be able to shed a bit of light here.

There did appear to be some Arsenal followers in that section. Amongst a group of about ten, I'd say it seemed like two or three of them were interested in Arsenal, as they were notably happy when they discovered via their phones, which they were checking regularly, that Arsenal had gone 1-0/2-0 up. Yelps of "Ozil!" and "get in!" followed by high-fiving were part of the give away.

In spite of this, those same two/three chaps were the one's most actively trying to drum up an atmosphere in that section, and the only one's openly shouting our players names in encouragement. In other words, they seemed like the only one's who had been to a football match before!

We walked out of the ground at the same time as them, and I heard no chants of 'we are top of the league'.

What dissapointed me most was the amount of empty seats in that section, there must have been about 50/100. The club should have been able to flog them IMO. A lack of advertisement the cause for this I believe, as I'm based at the Falmer campus at Uni and saw no posters of any kind in the lead up to the game.

The main thing which would put the students off coming again I'd imagine is probably the half-time service. The concourse up there is only small, so when they all went down to get a drink at half-time, the queue actually tailed back to the steps which lead you into the stand! This also meant there was basically no where to stand with your drink/food! At a guess I'd say half the queue failed to get served before the second half started. This was made worse by the fact the stewards wouldn't allow the students to go down into concourse below to use the vouchers for their drink. Not sure what the reasoning behind that was but it definitely needs a re-think.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Another reason I was so disappointed with the crap atmosphere on Tues - hoped the place would be rocking to persuade some new fans to come along in future. Alas the place was akin to a morgue.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What dissapointed me most was the amount of empty seats in that section, there must have been about 50/100. The club should have been able to flog them IMO. A lack of advertisement the cause for this I believe, as I'm based at the Falmer campus at Uni and saw no posters of any kind in the lead up to the game.

The main thing which would put the students off coming again I'd imagine is probably the half-time service. The concourse up there is only small, so when they all went down to get a drink at half-time, the queue actually tailed back to the steps which lead you into the stand! This also meant there was basically no where to stand with your drink/food! At a guess I'd say half the queue failed to get served before the second half started. This was made worse by the fact the stewards wouldn't allow the students to go down into concourse below to use the vouchers for their drink. Not sure what the reasoning behind that was but it definitely needs a re-think.

Another message that should be posted in Ask the Club.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed. I went to my first game at the Goldstone when I found myself (then a Birmingham City supporter) living as a student in Hove. An Albion supporting mate suggested a walk along Old Shoreham Road might be a good idea. I'm now an Albion supporter.
Seen the light well done

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Chanting for a team that isnt playing ? you think that is normal ?

The city has the highest student retention rate outside of London I believe. Good move by the club.

I wasn't at the game, was it a success? Did the area sell out?

el punal

Last season I had a spare season ticket for a game which I sold to a student. He came from Southend (I think) and went to Sussex/Brighton University. When I asked him why he was an Albion fan, he replied that where ever he to university he would support the nearest local club - us! Fair play young man! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here