Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stronger Outfit

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
YES

Ward,Andrews & Augustein all good new signings plus Ince,March & JFC all breaking into the squad this season, it's gonna be a great season with a couple more signings to come
JUST SIT BACK THIS SEASON PUT YOUR FEET UP AND ENJOY IT IT'S GONNA BE A FUN RIDE ( and in my opinion a successful one)

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
YES

Ward,Andrews & Augustein all good new signings plus Ince,March & JFC all breaking into the squad this season, it's gonna be a great season with a couple more signings to come
JUST SIT BACK THIS SEASON PUT YOUR FEET UP AND ENJOY IT IT'S GONNA BE A FUN RIDE ( and in my opinion a successful one)

Love a positive attitude and I totally agree. This time last season had lost away 3-0 to Swindon in the cup, lost away to Hull 1 - 0 drawn home to Cardfiff 0 - 0 then stuffed Barnsley 5 - 1 at home. So this time last year we had 4 points verses todays 3 after 3 matches plus dropped out of cup to a lower team. Today I feel our team is stronger plus we are due more signings whether loans or buy ins. Our 4th match of last season was against Burnley who we beat away 1 - 3. People seem to forget that OG has been with us very little time.. Heads up.. the season has just begun (hummed to Carpenters song) We've Only Just Begun.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That's a very sweeping statement!

Have you made an in-depth analysis of the squads of each of those clubs? Players out, players in? I thought I had a fairly good knowledge of football but I couldn't begin to make any informed judgement of who will be better than us and who worse without being able to see them play. And even then watching them play us twice in a season, plus a few highlights on TV still wouldn't give me anything like a well-informed view.

Surely, at this stage, anything is a guess, mixed with wishful thinking. And I like wishful thinking - it's better than being a doom merchant!

Have a look at other squads (not including the six teams I omitted) and see who you'd swap for one of our own.
I didn't say we'll play better, because no-one knows, but am convinced we have a better line-up.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
With CMS out until at least September, and Hoskins possibly out for the rest of his contract, we are really light up front this season, and will struggle if Leo gets injured.

This is so true. Although we have Ash I would hate to just rely on him if Leo is crocked. CMS isn't really due back until end of Sept and then its a while 'til he gets match fit. Yep... an aged proven striker until January please... on loan would be fine or a young Spanish jobbie.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I would say our overall squad is stronger, and the fact that we have the likes of Andrews, Agustien, and Ward from the start will really help us, rather than waiting until further into the season to get them or not having them available half the time through injury (like Vicente)...

But we are still missing the big money signings that will transform us from a mid-table team into a play-off contender. We are missing a striker (although this may not be completely necessary once CMS and Hoskins are back) and a creative attacking midfielder who can play at the top of a diamond or out on the wing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Strikers win you matches and points. We have one very good goalscorer in Ulloa, even if he isn't a particularly good player outside the box. However, we have absolutely nothing else of note. It simply isn't realistic for him to be fit, suspension-free and in form over 46 matches. He will miss games and he will have poor periods. QPR have Johnson, Austin, Hoilett and Zamora, Reading have Le Fondre, Blackman and Pogrebnyak, Wigan have Holt and Fortune, Forest have Mackie, Blackstock, Derbyshire, Tudgay and Cox, and Watford have Deeney, Forrestieri and the new guy Fabbrini. Look at their strength in depth compared to ours. That's where we're just not good enough.

You only listed five clubs there. So, we could still make the play-offs in your view?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
As a squad we are now looking better, BUT still need attacking midfielder and a striker.. Who knows when CMS will be back to normal..

We have 2 weeks to finish team building and I wouldn't be surprised to see some money being spent like last year BUT off the back of a player being sold... Lualua/ Barnes type sale.( similar to noone last season financing players)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I thought we'd all agreed last week we were terrible and were going to struggle all season as we had zero organization and were making terrible signings?

No we did not all agree. There were a handful of pessimistic whingers, who really should be supporting Manu to preserve the feelgood factor in their lives. But far more suggested it would take a little time to get things right considering the upheaval of recent months. When I watch the likes of the Palarse manager I'm grateful Mr Tony has the style to recruit quality leaders and I include Paul B in that. We will do well again this season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ulloa, CMS, Barnes.

3 strikers, 1 striking position available. Our options look short at the moment, because CMS is injured. When he is fit we have a full compliment. Barnes is a striker. We all know it, and he scores goals when he plays there. We do not need more players like Hoskins (when fit for his 5-10 games a season) who is kicking their heels. Three strikers is enough. CMS is back in October, no need to splash out. If Ulloa gets injured then we can sign a loanee, the FFP excuse is tired but relevant. Strikers cost money. We're cutting our cloth accordingly. We probably do need to sell to biy.

LuaLua out, left winger in - job's a good'un.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Even terrible teams like Middlesbrough have two recognised strikers in Emnes and Jutkiewicz, while Blackburn have Rhodes, Best and Campbell and Leicester have Wood, Schlupp, Vardy and Nugent. Our options upfront are so lacking compared to most teams in this division yet there never seems to be any suggestion we are close to fixing this. That's why I just don't accept the idea that BHAFC is seriously aiming for promotion.

Football is not about strikers its about offensive capability and when playing an offensive game (as OG does) it doesn't matter if you have Ulloa putting in 25 in a season and three or four others (CMS, Buckley, Dave, Barnes etc...) on 10-15 then offensive support players (Kemy, Orlandi, Andrews) having a handful as well. From your comments i wonder if you would like us to play a sweeper or 442?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought we'd all agreed last week we were terrible and were going to struggle all season as we had zero organization and were making terrible signings?

That was then and now is now. We've won a game so its all alright. Panic over, we are on the march. Oscar knows what he is doing and we are going to wipe the floor with Burnley and Millwall and go into the international break in the top half.
Or we don't and cue the ' bring back Gus brigade '

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That was then and now is now. We've won a game so its all alright. Panic over, we are on the march. Oscar knows what he is doing and we are going to wipe the floor with Burnley and Millwall and go into the international break in the top half.
Or we don't and cue the ' bring back Gus brigade '

Yes, this is soooo right! (Still- would like to see another striker though)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

A week is a long time in football, just as it is in politics.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Football is not about strikers its about offensive capability and when playing an offensive game (as OG does) it doesn't matter if you have Ulloa putting in 25 in a season and three or four others (CMS, Buckley, Dave, Barnes etc...) on 10-15 then offensive support players (Kemy, Orlandi, Andrews) having a handful as well. From your comments i wonder if you would like us to play a sweeper or 442?

How about Ulloa, CMS and Barnes all putting in 20 goals in a season? They are all capable of it, even in CMS's case with missing the first part of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here