Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Striker?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I know, right?

Good job the club didn't bother wasting time signing those nothing players that no-one has ever heard of, Robert Sanchez and Ben White. Would have been just more wasted wages pissed up the wall of the training ground.

When is the club going to start listening to your wise words, Tommy? :shrug:

Just out if interest which of the two players you mentioned are strikers!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yep, i'd put money on that eventuality being most likely.

Edouard to Stains, Nunez staying at Benfica and we're "Happy with the options we have"!!

Obvs the professionals in the recruitment department are trying their best, but I wonder if moneyball, which has served us well in many so areas should be abandoned for first team ready type strikers......

We've had great success with the likes of Ben white, Sanchez, Biss etc but in the forward areas with Ali J, Locadia its been a hugely expensive waste of many tens of millions of money for no reward.

Im not sure youre goin to find to many value for money prospective punts that can make an almost instant impact in a PL first 11....... Newcastle went out and bought Wilson, Villa Ings etc, and we are lucky to have Welbeck who is our best striker by a mile when fit......... I'd argue the CF or goal scoring attacker positions are the most crucial in the club and maybe a different strategy for this key position may be needed?, even if thats spending 20+ million on 28 year old plus players with some pedigree..... thats still a much better return than the Ali J's or Locadias will give for less money over 3 years.

The clubs philosephy of young prospective talents that can make the step up and potentially be sold for profit is very sound, and maybe one day we'll get lucky with a striker, but I think we need to buck that ethos for this key position and go out and get someone (like Welbeck etc) who you know can do it.

I agree and suggested the same in a previous window

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
And there we were thinking it’s very harsh on the OP :shrug:

Then you don’t know how to read. And nor do the other posters you are referring to. So ****ing rude and unjustified

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Remind me when Albion didn’t sign a first team striker in the summer transfer window.
(Maupay, Welbeck, Andone, Murray, Hemed/Zamora, Baldock, CMS) in the Jan windows going back 10 years. It’s only really happened twice and then we broke our transfer record on a striker in January . (ulloa, locadia)

The idea that club don’t sign strikers and are unaware they need to sign strikers and are “happy with what they have” is a myth.

And this summer they’re clearly looking - sources close to the club have confirmed interest in several big ££ European prospects.

Now whether they’re the right strikers or not is a different issue.

And whether they get something over the line or not - I don’t know. But idea that it’s the same thing year after year is nonsense.

Please do refrain from making sensible and logic based posts in a thread that's boringly tedious and a rehash of dozens of other threads.

You might just bring some intellectual intelligence into a dead end mindless rant.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Please do refrain from making sensible and logic based posts in a thread that's boringly tedious and a rehash of dozens of other threads.

You might just bring some intellectual intelligence into a dead end mindless rant.
I'm not sure why but your post made me chuckle to myself

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Remind me when Albion didn’t sign a first team striker in the summer transfer window.
(Maupay, Welbeck, Andone, Murray, Hemed/Zamora, Baldock, CMS) in the Jan windows going back 10 years. It’s only really happened twice and then we broke our transfer record on a striker in January . (ulloa, locadia)

The idea that club don’t sign strikers and are unaware they need to sign strikers and are “happy with what they have” is a myth.

And this summer they’re clearly looking - sources close to the club have confirmed interest in several big ££ European prospects.

Now whether they’re the right strikers or not is a different issue.

And whether they get something over the line or not - I don’t know. But idea that it’s the same thing year after year is nonsense.

Good post.very factual

But we want a striker and we want one now!!!

Lol

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep, i'd put money on that eventuality being most likely.

Edouard to Stains, Nunez staying at Benfica and we're "Happy with the options we have"!!

Obvs the professionals in the recruitment department are trying their best, but I wonder if moneyball, which has served us well in many so areas should be abandoned for first team ready type strikers......

We've had great success with the likes of Ben white, Sanchez, Biss etc but in the forward areas with Ali J, Locadia its been a hugely expensive waste of many tens of millions of money for no reward.

Im not sure youre goin to find to many value for money prospective punts that can make an almost instant impact in a PL first 11....... Newcastle went out and bought Wilson, Villa Ings etc, and we are lucky to have Welbeck who is our best striker by a mile when fit......... I'd argue the CF or goal scoring attacker positions are the most crucial in the club and maybe a different strategy for this key position may be needed?, even if thats spending 20+ million on 28 year old plus players with some pedigree..... thats still a much better return than the Ali J's or Locadias will give for less money over 3 years.

The clubs philosephy of young prospective talents that can make the step up and potentially be sold for profit is very sound, and maybe one day we'll get lucky with a striker, but I think we need to buck that ethos for this key position and go out and get someone (like Welbeck etc) who you know can do it.

Decent argument but I think the signings of Welbeck and Lallana last season suggest Albion have already shown a willingness to modify their moneyball approach in a limited number of key positions.

The real pain with proven, available strikers in this country is they always seem to be cursed by injuries plus their wages must be off the scale… just can’t see us affording anyone with Danny Ings’ record, and even he could still spend half the year on the sidelines.

In the achievable bracket the one who springs to mind who’d have been reliable at the price was, rather uninspiringly, Chris Wood. At the time though, even that would have been a gamble on a Championship player - and he wouldn’t fit the style at all any more.

So we’re probably always going to be taking a bit of a punt. While a lot of money has been wasted, it’s just as possible and quite easy at Premier League prices to spend that total amount on one player who then makes no discernible difference. Sebastien Haller, for example. We might need to try it, but will have one chance at getting it right instead of 3 chances at striking lucky..,

I agree with everything you say in principle but it’s just an incredibly tricky position to fill with someone who’ll guarantee double figure goals each season (unless we find a spare £80m+).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just 23 days left to sort our Striker flavoured transfer business out.

Up to 4 outs and up to 2 ins.

Let’s get this done!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Naylor says signing a striker is a priority. That’s the first bit of confirmation we’ve needed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Naylor says signing a striker is a priority. That’s the first bit of confirmation we’ve needed.

Just out of interest did he also happen to mention where bears defecate?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta admire how an ABRIDGED (why wasnt O'Grady, et al mentioned) list of charity cases, sicknotes, fifth choices and a DJ can validate 10 years of piss poor centre forward recruitment.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Gotta admire how an ABRIDGED (why wasnt O'Grady, et al mentioned) list of charity cases, sicknotes, fifth choices and a DJ can validate 10 years of piss poor centre forward recruitment.

Hey SB - the point is - we buy a key striker nearly every summer. So the argument from many threads that Potter is saying “we will stick with what we have” or they’re not actively looking or it just won’t happen and that this is something that fans have got used to “every year” doesn’t really hold water.

As for O Grady or Best or Colunga or Leroy Lita being somehow representative of the last decades strike force - a brief moment I grant you - that’s distorting things a bit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for O Grady or Best or Colunga or Leroy Lita being somehow representative of the last decades strike force - a brief moment I grant you - that’s distorting things a bit.

Yet they all arrived AFTER the only successful striker purchase, Ulloa, who you managed to shoe horn into your answer despite it not being as relevant as Big Chris et al would have been.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yet they all arrived AFTER the only successful striker purchase, Ulloa, who you managed to shoe horn into your answer despite it not being as relevant as Big Chris et al would have been.

I think the point was we sign strikers - every year . And there’s nothing to suggest that’s not the intention this summer. Or that the club haven’t clocked this is where we need to strengthen.

Not whether the last decades cast list of goalscorers were half decent or not - another issue obviously. But fill your boots here on the merits or not of Sam Baldock ! Or Will Hoskins !! Or that loan deal for Jesse Lingard !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here