Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Striker?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Totally agree. Still over 3 weeks of the transfer window left. Plenty of time.

By which time we may have dropped how many unnecessary point in games we should expect to do well in. This waiting for the window to close nonsense, while factually correct, could cost us valuable points.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Maybe this is me just growing up, but it doesn't matter that much, if we get a striker we get one, if not there is literally nothing I, you or anyone on this forum (except Paul Barber's burner account) can do about it. Might as well relax about it, have a beer, or maybe a joint I dunno whatever floats your boat fella.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
On a side note can people stop doing that thing where if more than one person posts it then loads of people do? It's not funny, it just makes you seem like you should be in care.

Have a quick peep in the dictionary, I think you may find the word irony, under I somewhere!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Maybe this is me just growing up, but it doesn't matter that much, if we get a striker we get one, if not there is literally nothing I, you or anyone on this forum (except Paul Barber's burner account) can do about it. Might as well relax about it, have a beer, or maybe a joint I dunno whatever floats your boat fella.

This - apart from the joint bit, as obviously that's illegal :smokin:

el punal

Here we go again.all the same shite again.nunez injured and no chance of signing anyway. We will end up with some cheap shitehouse from Europe.and get knockbacks from anyone half decent.

Tell you what, I’ve got this placard knocking around somewhere, written on it is “The End Of The World Is Nigh” you’re more than welcome to parade it around town.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What is it they say? If you don't learn the lessons of the past, you are doomed to repeat them in the future. Club seem to operate on the antiquated notion that there's undiscovered gems to be bought cheaply from all four corners of the earth. Despite the fact that every promising player everywhere has been on every smart club's radar since the age of about six. Algorithms won't help here, and in the Albion's case visual scouting doesn't seem to help very much either. It's all about buy cheap, realise mistake, sell at a loss. One day they might eventually learn what the guys in the cheap seats know earlydoors ie you can't do decent EPL strikers on the cheap :shrug:

I know, right?

Good job the club didn't bother wasting time signing those nothing players that no-one has ever heard of, Robert Sanchez and Ben White. Would have been just more wasted wages pissed up the wall of the training ground.

When is the club going to start listening to your wise words, Tommy? :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think its because we have all been here before. We know the area that needs straightening the most. A few rumours later nothing happens and we go into the season with what we have.

Nobody will be surprised if we struggle for goals again and we stumble over the line at the end of the season.

We should have these deals lined up and be in a position to sign them early and give them a decent amount of pre-season.

Yep, i'd put money on that eventuality being most likely.

Edouard to Stains, Nunez staying at Benfica and we're "Happy with the options we have"!!

Obvs the professionals in the recruitment department are trying their best, but I wonder if moneyball, which has served us well in many so areas should be abandoned for first team ready type strikers......

We've had great success with the likes of Ben white, Sanchez, Biss etc but in the forward areas with Ali J, Locadia its been a hugely expensive waste of many tens of millions of money for no reward.

Im not sure youre goin to find to many value for money prospective punts that can make an almost instant impact in a PL first 11....... Newcastle went out and bought Wilson, Villa Ings etc, and we are lucky to have Welbeck who is our best striker by a mile when fit......... I'd argue the CF or goal scoring attacker positions are the most crucial in the club and maybe a different strategy for this key position may be needed?, even if thats spending 20+ million on 28 year old plus players with some pedigree..... thats still a much better return than the Ali J's or Locadias will give for less money over 3 years.

The clubs philosephy of young prospective talents that can make the step up and potentially be sold for profit is very sound, and maybe one day we'll get lucky with a striker, but I think we need to buck that ethos for this key position and go out and get someone (like Welbeck etc) who you know can do it.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I know, right?

Good job the club didn't bother wasting time signing those nothing players that no-one has ever heard of, Robert Sanchez and Ben White. Would have been just more wasted wages pissed up the wall of the training ground.

When is the club going to start listening to your wise words, Tommy? :shrug:

Could Zak Emmerson be - using Matrix vernacular... The ONE

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Does anyone think that we should sign a striker.

I think it would be a good idea, i'm going to start a thread about it.

Who is in?

You have 6 thumbs up.
Perhaps we should all start a new thread about us needing to sign a striker.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yep, i'd put money on that eventuality being most likely.

Edouard to Stains, Nunez staying at Benfica and we're "Happy with the options we have"!!

Obvs the professionals in the recruitment department are trying their best, but I wonder if moneyball, which has served us well in many so areas should be abandoned for first team ready type strikers......

We've had great success with the likes of Ben white, Sanchez, Biss etc but in the forward areas with Ali J, Locadia its been a hugely expensive waste of many tens of millions of money for no reward.

Im not sure youre goin to find to many value for money prospective punts that can make an almost instant impact in a PL first 11....... Newcastle went out and bought Wilson, Villa Ings etc, and we are lucky to have Welbeck who is our best striker by a mile when fit......... I'd argue the CF or goal scoring attacker positions are the most crucial in the club and maybe a different strategy for this key position may be needed?, even if thats spending 20+ million on 28 year old plus players with some pedigree..... thats still a much better return than the Ali J's or Locadias will give for less money over 3 years.

The clubs philosephy of young prospective talents that can make the step up and potentially be sold for profit is very sound, and maybe one day we'll get lucky with a striker, but I think we need to buck that ethos for this key position and go out and get someone (like Welbeck etc) who you know can do it.

Now that is a genuinely different approach. Like Welbeck, do we look at proven strikers at the other end of their careers, maybe with a history of injury problems and just sign short term ? It is breaking with our approach elsewhere of buy young, buy potential. It seems to have worked with Welbeck so far, but are we prepared to have more than one of this 'type', alongside Maupay (still young and improving) and Zeqiri and Connolly (still really just potential).

It's even possible that we have one in Andone and if we could get another, he could be let go.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Remind me when Albion didn’t sign a first team striker in the summer transfer window.
(Maupay, Welbeck, Andone, Murray, Hemed/Zamora, Baldock, CMS) in the Jan windows going back 10 years. It’s only really happened twice and then we broke our transfer record on a striker in January . (ulloa, locadia)

The idea that club don’t sign strikers and are unaware they need to sign strikers and are “happy with what they have” is a myth.

And this summer they’re clearly looking - sources close to the club have confirmed interest in several big ££ European prospects.

Now whether they’re the right strikers or not is a different issue.

And whether they get something over the line or not - I don’t know. But idea that it’s the same thing year after year is nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here