Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strength of the Championship this year

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I don't think the Championship is always about the strength of a teams players, obviously that is a big part but so many other factors come into form. QPR will be found out just like they were in the Premiership. I just hope that Poyet's court action doesn't distract our own momentum.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree Boro and I'd add Donny .... after that the rest are all going to think they've got enough for the play offs as a minimum.

Good point. Forgot Donny. I can't see Ipswich, Burnley or Blackpool being relegation candidates but can't see them in play-offs either.

Change a failing manager for another one - I'd agree with you. Acrimoniously change a successful manager, on the up, with a team completely formed and molded by him - however good the replacement is they will surely go backwards before rebounding. At least, thats what usually happens in football. But OK, its football, weird stuff happens :shrug:

Maybe, but my point is that a team doesn't have to go backwards, a good manager could build on the work already done and take it to a new level. I don't see how you can say, at this early stage, that this is beyond Oscar.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Good point. Forgot Donny. I can't see Ipswich, Burnley or Blackpool being relegation candidates but can't see them in play-offs either.

Maybe, but my point is that a team doesn't have to go backwards, a good manager could build on the work already done and take it to a new level. I don't see how you can say, at this early stage, that this is beyond Oscar.

Ipswich could surprise, they are overdue and I think McCarthy has the nous to get that team up there

A lot will depend on how quickly he picks up the particular challenge of getting consistency needed and perhaps more how all the shenanigans of the last couple of months have impacted on the squad as a whole and the key individuals. The behind the scenes "troubles" clearly had an effect on the performances of Wolves, Blackburn and to a lesser extent Bolton, last season and I hope we don't suffer a similar hangover. No doubt in my mind if he can get us challenging he will have done a superb job

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
For what it's worth I think you'll be up there with a shout of an automatic promo place.At least a play off place again.
Look at our form last season!! Especially the later end of the season, Morale and perseverance and Palace's team spirit got us thro as you witnessed at the Amex and Wembley.
I hold my hands up and say I thought you'd annihilate us over the 2 legs.You're a good outfit and if you're not up there I'd be surprised.

Anyway that's enough of being nice, you're still :bhasign::sick::tosser:

And you were doing so well!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Palace benefited from a load of teams that just didn't want to take the opportunity that was in front of them. Everyone bottled because it was a feeble league. Proved by the fact that a very mediocre side won the play-offs.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I've rule out the top three as Wigan, QPR and Reading should comfortably take those positions.

BUT after that there are probably a dozen teams that could reach the okay offs and we are definitely one of those. And that would be more than good enough for me.

Is that a new thing for mid table teams?! :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Palace benefited from a load of teams that just didn't want to take the opportunity that was in front of them. Everyone bottled because it was a feeble league. Proved by the fact that a very mediocre side won the play-offs.

As did Hull and Baadiff ... there must be a few that are still kicking themselves

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I was judging it more on the strength of the sides put out than the results of one week tbh - albeit just my opinion of various players. Can't think of a championship side recently who've had the attacking options of Zamora, Austin, Andy Johnson (who looked very good in the highlights) and Hoilett, and Redknapps a good manager at this level. And I didn't expect Wigan to keep some of the players they have (McManaman etc), they only just went down and Holt is a very good signing for this level. I think those 2 will probably be the top 2.

Yeah without question Wigan and QPR have very very strong sides for champ level. After that theres Reading, watford, us (i hope), blackburn, leceister, forest all fighting for the play offs

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Forgot Bolton as well possibly leeds or middlesborough in the play off mix as well. Definately going to be tough, if we can finish 5th or 6th we'd have done really well

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Having watched The Football League show last night, I'm a bit concerned how strong some of the sides look - feel like it will be much harder to get near automatic promotion this season. QPR had Zamora and Andy Johnson up front, Barton and Hoilett in midfield and brought Charlie Austin off the bench. Wigan have kept most their side who won the FA Cup last year and have added Grant Holt. Watford have most of the same side as last year (minus Vydra) with an extra years experience in a young squad. And Reading have a good side, and Guthrie is probably a good signing.

Am I being pessimistic thinking we'll do very well to get a play off place again, and that's probably the most we can hope for?

I thought it all looked a bit naff and the season started too early for everyone. I did not like the results of the main contenders though. Already two points adrift. Leeds are not contenders. Leeds not as good as the last two seasons. Bolton are even thought they only got a draw.

Ulloa looked better than expected, so much so that we do not now need another striker. Agustein can replace Hammond so although another left midfielder would be a good idea, it is not absolutely essential. But we still need a Van Dijk equivalent or a pacy left back with height. Pity about Crofts not being sharp enough.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It could have been said that League One was tough when we won it, but we managed to do OK. Last season we did pretty well considering the opposition too. We don't have to look at anyone else, just concentrate on our own game and the results will come.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Forgot Bolton as well possibly leeds or middlesborough in the play off mix as well.

So, Rugrat and I think Boro are good candidates for relegation, Davemania thinks they're a play-off possible. Great range of opinion; shows how open the Championship is ...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So, Rugrat and I think Boro are good candidates for relegation, Davemania thinks they're a play-off possible. Great range of opinion; shows how open the Championship is ...

Or in my case how little I really know!!

Boro were woeful 2nd half of last season and haven't really done a squat to strengthen. They'll be fine if they get active but if not who knows?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Or in my case how little I really know!!

Boro were woeful 2nd half of last season and haven't really done a squat to strengthen. They'll be fine if they get active but if not who knows?

That's what I think as well. I know a smoggie who says they have real financial problems and need to shift a few more players, let alone get some more in

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm not convinced by Wigan. Ok they won 4-0 away on the opening day but i'll be interested to see how Owen Coyle copes when his team loses a couple of games in a row.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I'm not convinced by Wigan. Ok they won 4-0 away on the opening day but i'll be interested to see how Owen Coyle copes when his team loses a couple of games in a row.

I'm surprised by how many of last season's team is still there. McManaman and Gomez only made the bench at Barnsley. I think a lot depends on how many players they lose between now and the end of August. If they lose the likes of McCarthy and Maloney then that will be a big blow to them, but with what they have at the moment, they look like they should score quite a number of goals at this level, which is just as well because I think their defence is suspect.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I tend to agree. Also the most oft-quoted Reading view is that they have managed to hold onto the players that got them promoted - I know they went up as champions but they were "not all that" when they went up. It was just their time.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
People say that the league is stronger every year. Last year it was bollocks, the three teams that came down were absolutely diabolical and got rid of any semi-decent players they had.

I don't think Wigan really deserved to come down, another year they'd have easily been strong enough to stay up, I think they'll do brilliantly this season. QPR and Reading both look strong at the moment, but they've spent big. If they don't get out of the league then they're screwed, if they do, then they'll be subject to heavy fines due to FFP.

Que sera, sera, I guess. Looking forward to an exciting season either way. I don't have very high expectations for us at the moment, but a few decent signings could change that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
People say that the league is stronger every year. Last year it was bollocks, the three teams that came down were absolutely diabolical and got rid of any semi-decent players they had.

I don't think Wigan really deserved to come down, another year they'd have easily been strong enough to stay up, I think they'll do brilliantly this season. QPR and Reading both look strong at the moment, but they've spent big. If they don't get out of the league then they're screwed, if they do, then they'll be subject to heavy fines due to FFP.

Que sera, sera, I guess. Looking forward to an exciting season either way. I don't have very high expectations for us at the moment, but a few decent signings could change that.

Can't remember where I read it - it could've been here - but if QPR get promoted this year, then the championship clubs that conform to FFP are in for a big pay pay day (a few million each) due to FFP fines and re-distribution of 2nd season parachute payments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here