Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange Bloke on Roundabout

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember him, 10 years or so ago.

Only seen him once but he's the sort of guy you don't forget.

Worthing or Shoreham (with his bike) in a park.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Blimey! I remember him from what must be about 20 years ago. As I recall, I always saw him outside the Bridge pub in Shoreham.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Just to back up what people on here have already said, his name was Horace and he has been dead for quite a few years now.

He used to pop up on show all over the Worthing area and it was great when I was a kid as he used to amuse greatly.

One of my best mate's Dad was not a big fan of his after he gate-crashed his wedding in full 'Horace' gear.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I remember seeing him give someone a f*** off tablet for giving him abuse out the car window.It was almost dissapointing if we came in to Worthing and he wasn't at the offington roundabout.:lolol:

The Duke Of Shoreham !

Well that's what I knew him as anyway - also used to sport a bowler and monacle. He sat a 'bit too high' on his old bike, and around the mid-seventies he was accompanied by an old bird with victorian gear on.
Rumour has it that he won the pools and chucked in his job to be an eccentric 'character' living in a bygone age. Excellent to see around for a laugh. If you gave him a cheer he'd tip his hat or wave. Weird eh?

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
I remember seeing him too but it must have been years ago. He was a bit of a nutter.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
NMH I'm glad you mentioned the bowler because that's how I remembered him and I was wondering if my memory was playing tricks.

I like eccentrics and wish there were more of them about.

Huddersfield has one who was called Worzel Gummidge but then changed his name to The Occupier by deed poll.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I remember his from when I was a kid always always seemed to be on one of the roundabouts in Worthing. A great character.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
:clap2:

Bounced as he was involved in other threads recently, only one I'm bouncing but this is deservedly so!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Horace Duke was his name ... so "Dukie" was his nickname.

He worked as a cleaner at Marylebone Optical Company in Brougham Road Worthing for Donkey's years (I temped there between school and college many moons ago).

As has been mentioned, he sadly departed a long while ago - probably over 10 years now.

He was a real down to earth, spit and sawdust person when wearing his brown coat and pushing his broom .... but dress him up, put him on his bike, and a lot of people really did beleive he was an eccentric member of the nobility

:lolol: :lolol:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Icy Gull said:
He died a few years ago. I believe he was a dustman and spent most w/e on roundabouts in the Worthing Area.

Pushed an old bike and waved to everyone. Eccentrics like him seem to be a thing of the past :(
No doubt he'd get beaten up and mugged these days
He`s not from Croydon is he.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yep definitely a Norfolk Bridge regular all through my school days ( long time ago late 70's)..... apparrently lived on one of the houseboats on the Adur ( the old converted WWII MTB's)...... used to mime to music from a transistor radio he carried with him.

Yep he is dead, my Gran says so, and she knows everything in Shoreham ( most grans do).

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Also used to wear a deerstalker, monocle and plus fours. Washed cars for a living among other things. Would always wave or doff his hat. Often around Tollbridge House and the Old Toll Bridge at Shoreham and on the Worthing road ... remember him from late 1960s to mid to late 1970s.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Yorkie said:
NMH I'm glad you mentioned the bowler because that's how I remembered him and I was wondering if my memory was playing tricks.

I like eccentrics and wish there were more of them about.

Huddersfield has one who was called Worzel Gummidge but then changed his name to The Occupier by deed poll.

I Know I shouldn't post this, but at my work (can't say where), I have a copy of his deed poll (D.P.A)...He is a... Thomas Henry Erasmus Occupier.

ie " The Occupier!"

Ace!!

He has a group of mad friends who also have weird names!!

HAHA Small world!!

the Worthing man however, he was famous in the Worthing area. I recall it being more late 70's I used to see him. You would cheer him and he would acknowledge you!!

marvellous scenes!
:clap2:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
i remember him from when i was a little girl. always on the teville gate roundabout. he was a nutter but made me laugh

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Everyone I think felt he was a nutter but still loved seeing him!

Great bloke!

:clap:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The Northstander said:
I Know I shouldn't post this, but at my work (can't say where), I have a copy of his deed poll (D.P.A)...He is a... Thomas Henry Erasmus Occupier.

ie " The Occupier!"

Ace!!

He has a group of mad friends who also have weird names!!

Reminds me of my early days working in a dole orifice. Had a claimant who was legally Harold Tensixtysix. Of course, kids these days wouldn't get the significance of that. Don't suppose they teach history anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here