Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Strange And Obvious Things You Should Know But Only Found Out Late..

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We pronounce homophones differently depending on whether it's a verb or a noun.

I only recently clocked that we do this with a multitude of words but it never really registered with me.

Some examples:

Project
Permit
Conduct
Suspect
Increase
Progress
Contract

In fact there are so many of these, my mind was blown.

I just found out that I didn't know what homophones means :shrug:

Obviously, I do now, it's the 21st century :thumbsup:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Apparently car headlamps look different to green traffic lights. Being coloured blind I didn't realise until I had been driving for 20+ years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I discover every Saturday night about this time that one can eat too much curry. Urrrghhhhh.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We pronounce homophones differently depending on whether it's a verb or a noun.

I only recently clocked that we do this with a multitude of words but it never really registered with me.

Some examples:

Project
Permit
Conduct
Suspect
Increase
Progress
Contract

In fact there are so many of these, my mind was blown.

Hang on - aren't homophones different words with the same pronunciation but different meanings? What you're referring to are words that are spelt the same, but have different meaning and pronunciation? Homographs. Or possibly homonyns?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My Brother who is 60 has only recently realised that its The Beatles and not The Beetles.
And I only recently got it that Professor Pat Pending from Wacky Races is short for patent pending because he invented things.
And I call others thickos.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
So is IKEA, except they are not a band and the spouses are involved somehow

This isn't (quite) true, either...

From Wikipedia: "The brand used by the group is an acronym that consists of the founder's initials, and those of Elmtaryd, the family farm where he was born, and the nearby village Agunnaryd (his hometown in Småland, southern Sweden)."

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Greater Weever fish is not as poisonous as it's smaller cousin the Lesser Weever fish .

Who knew ! .

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I was about 13 years old when I realised that the space above my eyebrows and below my hairline was a forehead and not a "forrid" as it was always pronounced by my parents and grand-parents.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This isn't (quite) true, either...

From Wikipedia: "The brand used by the group is an acronym that consists of the founder's initials, and those of Elmtaryd, the family farm where he was born, and the nearby village Agunnaryd (his hometown in Småland, southern Sweden)."

Gosh, what a weird founder!! I defo 'found out late' the true meaning - thanks👍👍

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
That the smell of poo doesn't always disperse from a bathroom in10 minutes.
When someone says to me ' I wouldn’t go in there for 10 minutes if I was you' I would take their word for it, but yesterday I went in after my wife gave me the 10 minute warning and it still stank, even with the window open.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here