[Sussex] Storm Ciaran on its way or here?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My barometer is at 956 millibars, the lowest I've seen it. Helpfully is says 'Stormy'.

Given this is the lowest recorded pressure in 200 years then yes, its unlikely you've seen lower.

My digital weather station is currently reading 953, and the traditional one 959.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Given this is the lowest recorded pressure in 200 years then yes, its unlikely you've seen lower.
Here's the article I guess you're referring to:

Do you think this is another manifestation of climate change? A big question I know, but records are being broken every year now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Currently 965 here in RH16

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Me too. That’s the last time I’m cooking vegy food for my wife.
My wife's farts only smell of flowers. And when she goes to the loo, she only produces ice cream and lemonade.

There's definitely a vast difference between male and female waste material. I'm convinced that climate change is down to the male species.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From the bbc website….this guy lives in a motorhome and just happened to get out of bed for a drink of water …a near miss 👀

We've just heard from Aaron Waterer who is shaken after a very near miss in his motorhome last night in Broadstairs, Kent.

A large tree branch was ripped off in strong winds and pierced through the motorhome roof - finishing just centimetre above his mattress. By a stroke of luck, Aaron, 47, was out of bed getting a drink of water at the time.

"I woke up probably around 2am. I fancied a drink of water so jumped out the bed and just as my feet hit the floor there's this crack. This branch landed straight through the roof where I was asleep.

“I got outside, phoned the landlord at the pub who I know, and luckily he was awake. He let me in, my nerves were all shot.

“I just didn’t know what to do, it was just shock. I still don’t think it has sunk in that much, it's just bizarre."
IMG_1686.jpeg

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Here's the article I guess you're referring to:

Do you think this is another manifestation of climate change? A big question I know, but records are being broken every year now.
What is a fact is that there is considerably more energy in the system due to the warming climate. Given the intensity of storms (and rain) is a product of the strength of the polar jet stream, which itself is driven by the temperature differential (in this case across North America) then it's hard not to conclude that a percentage of the severity of storm Ciarán can be attributed to climate change.

But that's just speculation on my part. I do have time for experts, and I'll wait to see what they say.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What is a fact is that there is considerably more energy in the system due to the warming climate. Given the intensity of storms (and rain) is a product of the strength of the polar jet stream, which itself is driven by the temperature differential (in this case across North America) then it's hard not to conclude that a percentage of the severity of storm Ciarán can be attributed to climate change.

But that's just speculation on my part. I do have time for experts, and I'll wait to see what they say.
Thanks for that. I'm a long way from being an expert. My background is a geography degree, with a module in applied climatology, i.e. a little knowledge allied with great interest.

My takeaway from your reply is that I'm probably focusing on the headlines (lowest pressure, highest temperature, warmest September on record etc) without an appreciation of the bigger picture and how these sit within the whole system. More reading is required.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My take on this is that climate change is a step change in the annual pattern in qualitative or quantitative terms, measurable by averaging, and determinable only by accumulating many years' worth of data.

Weather, however is what happens during a day.

But you knew that :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Council website saying bin collections cancelled today
The Adur binmen collected my rubbish as normal. I heard the lorry as I laid in bed.

I guess the conditions over in B&H must have been much, much worse this morning for their binmen. Can't be too careful can you.

Jul 7, 2003
Mate of mine lives up on the hill between Folkestone and Dover - very strong winds there and he has lost fence panels and roof tiles this morning.

As for the drama, Mrs DCH's family home in Worthing was badly damaged in the 1987 storm with walls on two sides being ripped open. Luckily nobody was injured but they were all very shaken.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mate of mine lives up on the hill between Folkestone and Dover - very strong winds there and he has lost fence panels and roof tiles this morning.

As for the drama, Mrs DCH's family home in Worthing was badly damaged in the 1987 storm with walls on two sides being ripped open. Luckily nobody was injured but they were all very shaken.
Up on the north Kent coast, some of the leaves on my trees have blown off, and are all over my lawn. I wasn't expecting that, this autumn.

We are going to follow the advice of the head of the coastguard this morning, and head off later in search of Big Waves. I think that's what he was advising. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports