Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Storm Ciaran on its way or here?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Are you suggesting that all those years I asked the question 'how do you know we aren't in an interglacial', it was based on no empirical evidence whatsoever, and that it contradicted the very degree course I took? That a non-geographer can know more than a geographer?

If you had known me in my wilderness years, from 1979-1982, you would conclude that this is quite possible. Probable even.

To be fair, I have no recollection at all of studying the holocene and or the anthropocene, which I hadn't even heard of.
So I'm going to plead ignorance.
You can excuse yourself: the anthropocene hadn't been coined when you were a lad; and that's a lively debate as to when it began and, relatedly, whether it's the most apposite term to use for the mire
As to the holocene, that's disgraceful :smile:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Starting to pick up a bit in Cheshire now, but I doubt it will be anything like Sussex has been getting.
We'll see.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You can excuse yourself: the anthropocene hadn't been coined when you were a lad; and that's a lively debate as to when it began and, relatedly, whether it's the most apposite term to use for the mire
As to the holocene, that's disgraceful :smile:
Haha - thank you for your understanding.

Yes, the anthropocene was/is a new term to me, but I've just googled it, and it makes sense to be coined. Human activity is obviously going to affect the landscape and less obviously, the atmosphere, but as to the extent of that effect, or if it can be isolated from naturally occurring processes and quantified, spatially and temporally, I have no idea. I expect there have been some attempts to do so.

I had certainly heard of the Holocene, but without googling it, I couldn't remember its start (and er, end) dates. I seem to have forgotten more than I was taught.
It was a long time ago...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Starting to pick up a bit in Cheshire now, but I doubt it will be anything like Sussex has been getting.
We'll see.
The North West never seem to get it, Remember living in Northwich on the night of the Great Storm and I slept through it while it blew the bin over.
Couldn't believe the fuss the Soft Southern Shites were making when I turned on Breakfast TV... :lolol:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The North West never seem to get it, Remember living in Northwich on the night of the Great Storm and I slept through it while it blew the bin over.
Couldn't believe the fuss the Soft Southern Shites were making when I turned on Breakfast TV... :lolol:
These things tend to come up from the mid-Atlantic, whereby you are shielded by Wales and Ireland, dissipating much of the energy.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It wasn't the BBC or any other media outlet that started giving them names, it was the Met Office and BBC simply reported using the given names. The weather presenters used to be Met office employees. Met as in meteorological, not metropolitan.

'The Met Office decided to start giving storms names back in 2014, in the same way they do in America. The first windstorm to be named was Abigail on 10 November 2015. The Met Office hoped that naming big storms will make people more aware of them and how dangerous they can be'.
Thank you - but it still doesn't explain why! Calling a storm "betty" eg is more likely to make people titter rather than think "jeez, that's gonna be dangerous". So if a storm has a name I know it is a "big storm" but that still doesn't tell me what I need to know.

Oh well. The world has bigger problems.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I know. I was in Worthing at the time, and the curtains got sucked out through the windows. Didn't think much about it, and slept all night, to wake up to devastation.
Anyway, in Cheshire, we get a lot of rain, bit of wind, but never a storm as such.

Edit to add, completely off topic.... at the moment I have Mr and Mrs swan, and no less than 5 cygnets outside my front door. Looks like that f***ing horrible bird flu may have gone away for a bit...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's a bit damp and blowy here at the moment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Still no power, went off 7 this morning.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just watching the BBC evening news and Jersey got hit really hard. Much like Peacehaven in ´87

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How was Big Jet TV today?

I didn't get a chance to watch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thank you - but it still doesn't explain why! Calling a storm "betty" eg is more likely to make people titter rather than think "jeez, that's gonna be dangerous". So if a storm has a name I know it is a "big storm" but that still doesn't tell me what I need to know.

Oh well. The world has bigger problems.
Perhaps the Met Office should have a look at their suggested names spreadsheet and replace these with 'Storm Scary B'stard', 'Storm Absolute C**t', 'Storm Die If You Set Foot Outside', 'Storm F*** Me That's Huge' and, once downgraded, 'Storm Prepare to Pick Up Your Outdoor Furniture' and 'Storm It's Probably OK to Take the Dog Out Now If He Hasn't Shat On the Carpet'.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Perhaps the Met Office should have a look at their suggested names spreadsheet and replace these with 'Storm Scary B'stard', 'Storm Absolute C**t', 'Storm Die If You Set Foot Outside', 'Storm F*** Me That's Huge' and, once downgraded, 'Storm Prepare to Pick Up Your Outdoor Furniture' and 'Storm It's Probably OK to Take the Dog Out Now If He Hasn't Shat On the Carpet'.
Also "Storm I've just been overtaken by a giant flying trampoline that some idiot didn't fasten down properly"

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Edit - misread post!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here