Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Storm Ciaran on its way or here?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I know. I was in Worthing at the time, and the curtains got sucked out through the windows. Didn't think much about it, and slept all night, to wake up to devastation.
Anyway, in Cheshire, we get a lot of rain, bit of wind, but never a storm as such.

Edit to add, completely off topic.... at the moment I have Mr and Mrs swan, and no less than 5 cygnets outside my front door. Looks like that f***ing horrible bird flu may have gone away for a bit...
I lived in Kemptown at the time of the 87 storm. It did feel a bit windy and with no radio the next day, I thought nothing of it so waited for the No 7 bus to take me to the station for a train to London as usual. The bus never arrived so off I trotted to the station by foot. The penny dropped during my walk to the station via the seafront, that it was quite a big storm With lorries blown onto their side and all the trees down by the Old Steine. I remember a crane weather vaning in the wind at some ridiculous speed at the top of North Road and the station was all locked up. Didn’t the financial crash happen that week and traders couldn’t trade with phone lines being down? The worst of it though was the night after the storm with a power cut in The Rock pub,so we could only play pool with torches and hand pumped beer only ( in my lager youth).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I lived in Kemptown at the time of the 87 storm. It did feel a bit windy and with no radio the next day, I thought nothing of it so waited for the No 7 bus to take me to the station for a train to London as usual. The bus never arrived so off I trotted to the station by foot. The penny dropped during my walk to the station via the seafront, that it was quite a big storm With lorries blown onto their side and all the trees down by the Old Steine. I remember a crane weather vaning in the wind at some ridiculous speed at the top of North Road and the station was all locked up. Didn’t the financial crash happen that week and traders couldn’t trade with phone lines being down? The worst of it though was the night after the storm with a power cut in The Rock pub,so we could only play pool with torches and hand pumped beer only ( in my lager youth).
I can still picture the two old ladies waiting at a bus stop in town.

With a tree down completely blocking the road ahead of them. And a tree down completely blocking the road behind them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can still picture the two old ladies waiting at a bus stop in town.

With a tree down completely blocking the road ahead of them. And a tree down completely blocking the road behind them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Still no power, went off 7 this morning.
Power finally on albeit via a generator. Apparently when they repaired the overhead line it caused a fire further down the line underground.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Thank you - but it still doesn't explain why! Calling a storm "betty" eg is more likely to make people titter rather than think "jeez, that's gonna be dangerous". So if a storm has a name I know it is a "big storm" but that still doesn't tell me what I need to know.

Oh well. The world has bigger problems.
What is it you want to know beyond what you are already being told ?

Giving it a name doesn't mean they tell you any less, it just means it's got a name.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thank you - but it still doesn't explain why! Calling a storm "betty" eg is more likely to make people titter rather than think "jeez, that's gonna be dangerous". So if a storm has a name I know it is a "big storm" but that still doesn't tell me what I need to know.

Oh well. The world has bigger problems.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It seems that storm Ciaran hasn't finished.

At least six people died in Italy.

'Moment cars swept away by floodwaters as Storm Ciarán hits Italy'

We were lucky.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A bit of late Storm Ciaran news.

80 mile a hour winds hit the Croydon area last night.

Selhurst Park was particularly affected.

It caused £50,000 worth of improvements.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Crappy name for a storm anyway……. Ciaran.
It could have been Charley or Colin.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here