Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stop the boats

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The government didn't cause Brexit; the majority of people in the UK voted for it.
17,410,742 people voted for Brexit. By no means the majority - just a slight majority of those who voted.

1700174034582.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The government didn't cause Brexit; the majority of people in the UK voted for it.
And who called the referendum in the first place?

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Note his line

“It’s been good for me so I’m happy”

A true Tory.
So are you against people doing okay and being happy? Are you against people who strive to be better. It's not politics, it's just hard word work and determination. I started with fck all and it didn't matter to me what government was in charge, I just did my best and came out ok.

A true sTory.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes, that's how referendums work. The side with most VOTES wins.
Yes, I know. I'm not arguing with the result of the referendum.

But the poster said 'the majority of people in the UK voted for it'. But it's 'the majority of those who voted, voted for it', not the 'majority of people'. If he's going to put points out there, then they should be factually correct.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's not politics, it's just hard word work and determination. I started with fck all and it didn't matter to me what government was in charge, I just did my best and came out ok.

A true sTory.
In which case your success has nothing to do with Brexit, Immigration Policies, or the Tories. So, it was pointless mentioning it on a thread like this - because it has no relevance.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Cameron was the one that called a referendum, it was solely his choice and he called it because he thought he could win - our exit from the EU wasn’t inevitable - it was a minority of the Tory Euro-sceptics that were demanding a vote fed up with the coalition and worried Farage and his UKIP minions were going to take their Tory seats in marginals - by the time the vote came, so much anti-EU rhetoric from the euro-sceptical Tories and UKIP had been plastered all over the Daily Mail (and buses!) and other right wing MSM outlets for months, half the electorate actually believed the shite they were reading - that eg. £350 million per week would be spent on the health service from the savings made by dropping out of Europe - (we have never shown a net saving from Brexit) - that immigration was to blame for the pressure on our public services, yet while net EU immigration is down, public services have continued to decline as a result of the loss of thousands of healthcare workers no longer eligible to work in the UK... months later, the whole Country is in lockdown ’to save the NHS’ - followed after the pandemic by the biggest strikes in the history of the NHS due to low staffing and wages structures - by the end of the Brexit campaign people generally believed Brexit would be bad for the economy but good for the NHS - 51.89% of those who voted (72.2% of the electorate) may have voted to Leave but they didn’t have a clue what they were leaving or what the impact would be if we did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, that's how referendums work. The side with most VOTES wins.
Switzerland has frequent referendums, but re-ran one a few years ago, because the information given to the population was false.
It has been shown there were many lies told about Brexit. Referendums can also be set with a minimum of voters voting for change, ie 60%.
in Britain, referendums are advisory only, not binding, but you know all of that.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The only valuable conclusion to be drawn is the electorate usually always makes the wrong decision. people voted tory in the last 3 elections. The Tory party members voted overwhelmingly to install Liz Truss as PM. We voted against second preference voting sytem

Direct democracy doesn't work, the general public are being asked to make political decisions on policy they do not understand and aren't aware of the overall implications, complexities and consequences. More than half of the general public are not politically engaged

Asking the country to make a decision on constitutional change does not represent the best interests of the country, amd 52/48 equates to inconclusive, to take that and say the people voted to leave is simply absurd

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So are you against people doing okay and being happy? Are you against people who strive to be better. It's not politics, it's just hard word work and determination. I started with fck all and it didn't matter to me what government was in charge, I just did my best and came out ok.

A true sTory.
No, most on here I would guess are happy that some do ok and are happy. What gets up their nose is people that do ok and are happy and don't give a flying f*** about people not so fortunate. Round here we call them tories!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Christ…the press Braverman continues to get. Just ignore her, Beeb need to get a grip and stop taking their lead from the Daily Hate

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Christ…the press Braverman continues to get. Just ignore her, Beeb need to get a grip and stop taking their lead from the Daily Hate
The Beeb does as it’s told by number 10, as long as number 10 appoints the Chair & directors.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
So, the Conservative rhetoric on this will continue into the next general election campaign, which will presumably be run along the lines of “let us do all the hateful things we were too incompetent to manage in the fourteen years we’ve already been in power.”

However, as has been pointed out, the U.K government unilaterally and without evidence declaring Rwanda a safe destination wouldn’t actually shift the dial. The judges have seen significant evidence to confirm that Rwanda is not a safe destination, and the Conservative Party saying “Oh yes it is” in a pantomime voice won’t change reality.

The best thing the Conservative Party could do is take us back to where we were before their ill-conceived and poorly thought through plan of closing all legal routes of migration was put in place.

They won’t though. Like a poorly housetrained dog, this government are just going to leave their messes all over the carpet for whoever comes in next to clean up.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So, the Conservative rhetoric on this will continue into the next general election campaign, which will presumably be run along the lines of “let us do all the hateful things we were too incompetent to manage in the fourteen years we’ve already been in power.”

However, as has been pointed out, the U.K government unilaterally and without evidence declaring Rwanda a safe destination wouldn’t actually shift the dial. The judges have seen significant evidence to confirm that Rwanda is not a safe destination, and the Conservative Party saying “Oh yes it is” in a pantomime voice won’t change reality.

The best thing the Conservative Party could do is take us back to where we were before their ill-conceived and poorly thought through plan of closing all legal routes of migration was put in place.

They won’t though. Like a poorly housetrained dog, this government are just going to leave their messes all over the carpet for whoever comes in next to clean up.

Agree with all of that, but we actually need them to go back to before they closed the legal routes, to when they actually stopped the decades old policy of allowing asylum applications from abroad in September 2011. This channel boats 'issue' is the latest result of total incompetence over a very long term, because shirley it couldn't be a deliberate policy to force people to use boats and people smugglers could it ???

As a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention, the UK fully considers all asylum applications lodged in the UK. However, the UK’s international obligations under the Convention do not extend to the consideration of asylum applications lodged abroad and there is no provision in our Immigration Rules for someone abroad to be given permission to travel to the UK to seek asylum. The policy guidance on the discretionary referral to the UK Border Agency of applications for asylum by individuals in a third country who have not been recognised as refugees by another country or by the UNHCR under its mandate, has been withdrawn. No applications will be considered by a UK visa-issuing post or by the UK Border Agency pending a review of the policy and guidance.

20 September 2011

https://freemovement.org.uk/does-the-uk-consider-asylum-applications-made-from-abroad/

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
No, most on here I would guess are happy that some do ok and are happy. What gets up their nose is people that do ok and are happy and don't give a flying f*** about people not so fortunate. Round here we call them tories!
By round here, do you mean on NSC?
Anyway, an unjustified sweeping statement and an insult to a lot of decent people who don’t share your politics. Just because this Government has largely been a shit show and deserve to be kicked out, it doesn’t mean that all those people who hold traditional centre right views are selfish and don’t give a flying f—k about those less fortunate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
By round here, do you mean on NSC?
Anyway, an unjustified sweeping statement and an insult to a lot of decent people who don’t share your politics. Just because this Government has largely been a shit show and deserve to be kicked out, it doesn’t mean that all those people who hold traditional centre right views are selfish and don’t give a flying f—k about those less fortunate.

Of course you're welcome to your opinion as am I. One Nation, Broad Church etc etc are just PR stunts to fool people but at the end of the day, those Tories in power are in it just to line their own pockets and those of their friends and donors. Their handling of the pandemic surely is evidence of that!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here