Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stop the boats

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If you want to talk silent majorities how about 56.4% of the voting public who ended up with a totally one-sided parliament they didn't vote for.

If ever there was an election that shows the weakness of our FTPT system it was the 2019 which has lumbered us with a disproportionately large majority for a government that is simply unfit to govern. Brexit, Covid, Public services and yes immigration all handled abysmally and at a shockingly great expense.

Still a few donors and mates managed to coin it during these crises so that's alright then.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's £140million, not £140billion.
I've literally never met anybody who's used billion to mean 10^12.
I know we used to in Britain, at some point, but that was around the same time we were still broadcasting snooker in black and white.
there are still some of us older folk around.

using an American billion was the start of the invasion of Americanisms and TV shows when we started going down hill

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If you were really old, you'd remember when children were being told off for saying "OK" because it was an Americanism.
Indeed. but older rather than really old .

I think we might be digressing from the subject and you are correct its £140 million not £140 thousand million (aka american billion) ;);)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you want to talk silent majorities how about 56.4% of the voting public who ended up with a totally one-sided parliament they didn't vote for.

If ever there was an election that shows the weakness of our FTPT system it was the 2019 which has lumbered us with a disproportionately large majority for a government that is simply unfit to govern. Brexit, Covid, Public services and yes immigration all handled abysmally and at a shockingly great expense.

Still a few donors and mates managed to coin it during these crises so that's alright then.

Or put another way, a huge majority for a Government that 71% of the British electorate didn't vote for :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But there have been surveys that showed that stopping the boats is the population's main worry. I suppose by implication you will now claim that the arrival of thousands of illegal and unchecked immigrants every year is something that the majority of the British people relish.
Where?
When?
What were the sample sizes/geographical spreads/backgrounds of those poled?

A quick search shows it immigration and asylum WAS the main 'worry' in the mid-2010s, but hasn't been the biggest since early 2017. So what gives?

Unless things have changed MASSIVELY since the beginning of the year, the big three seem to be inflation, the economy and the NHS.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's untrue. You said it's people's "main worry". It isn't. So it's untrue.
It must be true. The poster cited multiple surveys that state that was the case. I'm sure they'll post up some links or evidence to the surveys in question to back up their claims soon...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It must be true. The poster cited multiple surveys that state that was the case. I'm sure they'll post up some links or evidence to the surveys in question to back up their claims soon...

Because it certainly wouldn't be something that they 'heard on the radio while driving' and can't remember what station they were listening to :wink:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've had it up to here with facts, experts and their data.

'I have it on good authority, from Professor Ludwig von Krumbein, Emeritus professor of FACTS, UCL London, et cetera, et cetera'. It's all f*****g bollocks.

Give me opinion, assumption, supposition, implication, inferences, voices in my head, Dave down the pub (cheers Dave, good health), all wholly unsupported by any empirical evidence whatsoever.

Sorry, what was the question?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have the boats stopped yet?
Yes, the non-existant plan has worked. And everyone's biggest worry about the UK is long-forgotten.

Rule Brittania and all that nonsense.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But there have been surveys that showed that stopping the boats is the population's main worry. I suppose by implication you will now claim that the arrival of thousands of illegal and unchecked immigrants every year is something that the majority of the British people relish.
For the second time in a couple of weeks I find myself quoting Stan Collymore’s X account.

He’s absolutely spot on. Not only is immigration not the population’s main worry, if it is then they’ve been well and truly gaslit. The likes of Braverman would love people to think that because it takes away from the continuing destruction of working class northern towns by an elite who pretend they’re not an elite.

If you’re working class and voted Tory in the last election I suggest you read this and consider your life choices. This isn’t the middle class, BBC “enemy of the people” Lineker. Stan’s an ordinary Staffordshire lad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For the second time in a couple of weeks I find myself quoting Stan Collymore’s X account.

He’s absolutely spot on. Not only is immigration not the population’s main worry, if it is then they’ve been well and truly gaslit. The likes of Braverman would love people to think that because it takes away from the continuing destruction of working class northern towns by an elite who pretend they’re not an elite.

If you’re working class and voted Tory in the last election I suggest you read this and consider your life choices. This isn’t the middle class, BBC “enemy of the people” Lineker. Stan’s an ordinary Staffordshire lad.

Cannock is a northern town? Geez! :facepalm:

Still, I suppose it is north of Watford, so I guess that counts as northern for some!
Collymore's rant is pretty good on the reasons for the town being run down, with the town centre going to rack and ruin - hard to disagree with any of that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cannock is a northern town? Geez! :facepalm:

Still, I suppose it is north of Watford, so I guess that counts as northern for some!
Collymore's rant is pretty good on the reasons for the town being run down, with the town centre going to rack and ruin - hard to disagree with any of that.
Burgess Hill is up north as far as I’m concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here