Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop acting like a big club.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Oh well, can't please everyone.

This has been a rubbish season, but I've endured worse at the Withdean (for my tastes) and personally I'm really happy to be watching decent players (admit it or not, we're a lot better than we were 9 / 10 years ago) playing at a nice stadium in front of decent crowds.

We could do with a better atmosphere, but that will come back with better results, and when we have a team worthy of new songs (we sold the ones we had).

Absolutely this. It really has been worse over the years, and not just the Gillingham wilderness years. I can certainly appreciate the post's frustration, but we are a fickle lot and if we do very well next season (in whatever league!) then the mood changes, as it always has done in my 55 years of Albion supporting. Yes, it is more corporate, but not for the large majority who do not belong to 1901, and, given more excitement on the pitch, are quite capable of creating a good atmosphere, as they always have done. Arsenal this Year? Burnley game when were down to 9 men? Palace when we on 3-0?

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
It’s a bizarre feeling at the moment, I've been going for 35 years, last night felt strange, people booing the centre forward, people verbally criticizing the team and being told to shut-up by others, people shouting encouragement and no one joining in, people trying to start a song and being looked as if they have just arrived from another planet, no atmosphere.

It seems whatever your action/level of support whether it be positive, negative or just damned frustrated it is viewed dimly by another sat a few rows away.

Big Club? I'm not sure. We certainly need taking down a peg or two at corporate/boardroom level and start trying to find some grit, steel and determination on the pitch. A team that <a> galvanises the support is what is required <b> a bit of modesty, bit of pride.

That video pre-match, Ward, Case, Reinalt, Storer, Zamora, not all good times but we knew how to cheer, moan, celebrate and despair, the difference being we did it together (not the West stand at the Goldstone, they always moaned).

A ... The support is rather more bourgeois than in the 'old days' - and I don't state that as a pejorative term.
B... . Those two expressions are almost antonyms

Big Club,?....No, but maybe in the future.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Wait till we're top of the Championship in a couple of years and you'll be back.
Well ok, maybe not you because you're be on Burgess Hills website chatting away I bet. :smile:

He'll be too busy wasting his life watching shit on the idiot box like The Chase I'd wager.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Under what circumstances do you think Tony Bloom would sack Barber ? Is it BARBERS fault that this season has been such a disaster on the pitch ? Did Barber pick the manager ? The Players ? The tactics ?

Odd assertion.

Of course Barber has a significant impact on what happens on the pitch. As CEO, what the fvck is he doing there if not? He employs everybody expect the manager, and we all know who has carried the can for it.

Do you honestly think that Barber is unsackable? We are in even bigger fvcking trouble if he really isn't!

Indy

Apr 19, 2012
There is a lot of great stuff at the club, a stadium envied by many as well as the new training facilities.
Yesterday the park and ride was well run, eating chips n curry sauce in the sun listening to a steel drum band (best act of the season) was a good start to the evening. Inside I find the stewards to be friendly and pre match build up gets the fans going and up to kick off I am happy.
Obviously our goal scoring record is pants and we know where money needs to be spent in the summer, had we managed to keep Darren Bent I am sure we would have had a better run in. However, off the pitch I think most of it is pretty much spot on.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
had we managed to keep Darren Bent I am sure we would have had a better run in.

Do not agree with this at all, we were 2-0 down to Reading and he clearly did not fancy it at all so at the first opportunity fell over waving to be taken off. He did not want to be here and in fact he did us a big favour that night because we came back a gained a point that night, which gave us momentum at a very important time.

Oh as for big club, we have never been or pretend to be a big club however we have at times been a big fish in small pond ie division four, three nothing more nothing less.... But always remember we are premier league ready.... :dunce:

Camicus

Want a world class stadium you have to pay for it. Ive been to some right shitholes watching football Rushden and Diamonds V Telford UTD on a wet Tuesday night in December being a low point. Compared to at least 100 other clubs we are a big club deal with it I don't understand the nostalga for the Withdean

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yes - but what actually constitutes a 'BIG' club.

Seriously perhaps we should consider ourselves a 'Big Club' in waiting.

Bring it on !

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Big club - small team. We get 25k give or take to watch the shite we have been served up this season. How many others in English football would do that? 20 clubs maybe?

If we get a decent team the waiting list will be back and so will the sell outs. Is it as much fun as it used to be? No, not even close, but neither are most things.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Yes - but what actually constitutes a 'BIG' club.

Seriously perhaps we should consider ourselves a 'Big Club' in waiting.

Bring it on !
We are what we are and let's put it all into perspective whatever that means.
Historically we're an old 3rd Div team trying to make it big and one day our dreams will come true, but not this season.
We're almost there but champing at the bit. One day it will happen but not overnight. Once we're there we will stay and be one of the big boys.
But not ready yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course Barber has a significant impact on what happens on the pitch. As CEO, what the fvck is he doing there if not? He employs everybody expect the manager, and we all know who has carried the can for it.

Do you honestly think that Barber is unsackable? We are in even bigger fvcking trouble if he really isn't!

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Barber's remit from Bloom has been to control what happens OFF the pitch in order to help bring us in line with FFP. How exactly is he to blame for the abysmal player recruitment and the performance of the team ? His remit from Tony Bloom was to increase efficiency and drive down running costs, and to that end, he has done exactly what he was brought in to do. We might not LIKE it, but that's the policy Bloom has adopted with a view to bringing this club in line with FFP and ultimately making it self-sufficient. And Barber is the guy charged with achieving that.

No, he's obviously not unsackable. If Barber royally screws up, then he'll be out on his ear (a-la Ken Brown). But blaming Barber for this CACK season is like blaming Kaddy-Lee Preston for telling you its going to PISS down tomorrow.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Fair enough. But Brighton and Hove Albion is my club, always has been and always will be. I am proud of what they have had to overcome to be where they are today. So for me to make a round four hour journey every home match is a small sacrifice to pay for the enjoyment I get when watching them - even the ropey old games on offer at the moment. Despite the moans and groans about our current plight I'm proud to say that I'm still a loyal fan - through thick and thin. :albion2:

Absolutely. I have been a few times down the road to St Mary's with my wife, who is a season ticket holder there, and I just can't get excited about it, even though I would quite like to. I go with my brother to the Albion because we agree that no one else really matters.

And I could just about walk to the Eastleigh stadium mentioned by the OP. My really local team. I am happy they are doing well, but Spitfires aren't Seagulls.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
30 minute walk to palmeria square,75 minutes for a uni bus to turn up,then a 45 slog through the town before getting to the uni. I didn't even include the walk from the uni to stadium.???

I suggest setting off from your house 74 minutes later next time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here