Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop acting like a big club.

Jan 30, 2008
Fair enough. But Brighton and Hove Albion is my club, always has been and always will be. I am proud of what they have had to overcome to be where they are today. So for me to make a round four hour journey every home match is a small sacrifice to pay for the enjoyment I get when watching them - even the ropey old games on offer at the moment. Despite the moans and groans about our current plight I'm proud to say that I'm still a loyal fan - through thick and thin. :albion2:
when you find something else in life have a look at what you've posted???
regards
DR

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Really! I bet you wouldn't be saying that if we were challenging for promotion. It's just been a bad season on the pitch, that sort of thing happens in football.

Sorry? That's like saying Best would be good if he scored goals!
Our regression on the pitch is directly linked to what has happened off it. The fact that Barber has survived so far is only down to the fact that Burke was the fall guy. Barber will not survive another season of failure, because the product on the pitch will mean less income off it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Plenty of previous times in our history this could be said? Just our expectations are higher and our disappointment with it.

Absolutely this. A winning team will result in a better experience all round. Yes, it has become a bit sterilised and Americanised, but that's not the Albion, that's football in general.

I've been to watch Crawley a couple of times this year. Anyone who longs for a return to the 'punching above our weight' league 1 days should go an watch a game there. My God it made me appreciate what we have.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Whatever anyone says on this, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I fully understand how everyone feels...........frustrated and dissapointed and quite rightly so.............but hey........this is B&HA.......we should be used to it!! just my opinion like :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We need a CEO who is a football man,choosing Barber over Gordon Smith has cost us 5 years or more at least.
Could see the way it was going when we went cold over the Van Dijk deal.
That's when I knew this club is not about football anymore but bean counters.

Or perhaps Celtic offered him Champions' League football, more money and trophies?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry? That's like saying Best would be good if he scored goals!
Our regression on the pitch is directly linked to what has happened off it. The fact that Barber has survived so far is only down to the fact that Burke was the fall guy. Barber will not survive another season of failure, because the product on the pitch will mean less income off it.

Under what circumstances do you think Tony Bloom would sack Barber ? Is it BARBERS fault that this season has been such a disaster on the pitch ? Did Barber pick the manager ? The Players ? The tactics ?

Odd assertion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My son and myself at least agree on this. When we stood in the rain at the Goldstone or sat in the rain at Withdean and we were crap at least we had the board
to have a go at . The passion has gone. All gone corporate now . They just want more and more of our money. Buy a burger and chips outside the ground for
£4-50 or come and join the 1901 club where you can get said food for £14-00. Or pop in the café before the game for pie and chips for £3-00 or pay £6-50 in the lounge. Yes we have a shiny new stadium but it is not super rich Arsenal at the Emirates where you see top of the premiership football every week and regular
Champions League games. We are a smallish championship club and this year not a very good one. After supporting for 57 years I never thought I would lose the buzz of going to watch my beloved team. But it has and it saddens me.

I struggle to see why you don't buy from the kiosks or outside the ground. Nothing is forcing you to chose the most expensive options. Also, wasn't there corporate entertainment at Withdean, albeit in a porta cabin. I bet it was more expensive than the crap offered from the concession vans!

I've been going nearly 40 years and have seen some crap. At Withdean we had to endure the likes of Kitson so that's a good comparison to Leon Best! We have had three very good seasons and now it's gone a bit pear shaped everyone wants to jump ship. Watching football at Withdean was crap (and wet). The food was shite and you couldn't get a pint. Perhaps the problem is actually that people have got a bit complacent about what we now have.

We need a CEO who is a football man,choosing Barber over Gordon Smith has cost us 5 years or more at least.
Could see the way it was going when we went cold over the Van Dijk deal.
That's when I knew this club is not about football anymore but bean counters.

What utter tripe. What has Gordon Smith done to show that he is a better administrator of a football club than Barber? Barber might not have played the game at a professional level but why does that not make him a football man. Had we employed the ex CEO of a supermarket or a bank then I would agree but that' not the case. Your comments regarding Van Dijk have already been ridiculed so I don't have to.

This have been watching burgess hill this season £9 against £42 15 minutes against two and half hours traveling! no brainer! hillians next season for me!

Why do you have to pay £42 at the Albion? Also, if you are from B/H why does it take you 75 minutes to get to the Amex?

Or perhaps Celtic offered him Champions' League football, more money and trophies?

Van Dijk was ours for a few bob more,a football Man such as Smith would've strongly advised Bloom to pull out all the stops to get the player,instead We get "PLR" "ONE CLUB ONE AMBITION" and all the other old guff that our very own Mandelson comes out with.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
To super generalise, I think the Amex crowd is made up of 3 types of fans with a certain attachment to the club.

Type 1. The hardcore support who have been going nonstop through Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and Amex years.
These guys will stay.

Type 2. New Amex comers. These guys have only seen good football and expect nothing less to accompany the stadium than decent players. They will start to go when the expected standard drops.

Type 3. Old Goldstone regulars that have returned hoping to find a nostalgia and an older style less corporate environment. They will go when they realise the crap football is not compensated for by this.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Van Dijk was ours for a few bob more,a football Man such as Smith would've strongly advised Bloom to pull out all the stops to get the player,instead We get "PLR" "ONE CLUB ONE AMBITION" and all the other old guff that our very own Mandelson comes out with.

Is this the Gordon Smith who was appointed as chief executive at Rangers in June 2011 and 9 months later they went into administration?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
This have been watching burgess hill this season £9 against £42 15 minutes against two and half hours traveling! no brainer! hillians next season for me!

so it takes you 15 minutes to get to burgess hill but 2 and a half hours travelling to get to falmer? ive done both . I live in ardingly and I reckon it takes me an extra 15 minutes to get to falmer depending on the connection. am I missing something?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I thought the game last night had feel of a league 1 game about it. Two terrible teams, only a couple of hundred away fans and a rubbish atmosphere.

I thought to myself this is what it would be like week in week out in League 1

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
It’s a bizarre feeling at the moment, I've been going for 35 years, last night felt strange, people booing the centre forward, people verbally criticizing the team and being told to shut-up by others, people shouting encouragement and no one joining in, people trying to start a song and being looked as if they have just arrived from another planet, no atmosphere.

It seems whatever your action/level of support whether it be positive, negative or just damned frustrated it is viewed dimly by another sat a few rows away.

Big Club? I'm not sure. We certainly need taking down a peg or two at corporate/boardroom level and start trying to find some grit, steel and determination on the pitch. A team that galvanises the support is what is required a bit of modesty, bit of pride.

That video pre-match, Ward, Case, Reinalt, Storer, Zamora, not all good times but we knew how to cheer, moan, celebrate and despair, the difference being we did it together (not the West stand at the Goldstone, they always moaned).

This is spot on!
We are not a big club. Not in any sense really. I preferred the time when we knew we weren't. Other than a short spell in the top flight 30 years ago we are doing what we have always done.
The surroundings are brilliant, no question, but this doesn't make a big club. What makes a great club though is all the fans together as one.

so it takes you 15 minutes to get to burgess hill but 2 and a half hours travelling to get to falmer? ive done both . I live in ardingly and I reckon it takes me an extra 15 minutes to get to falmer depending on the connection. am I missing something?

30 minute walk to palmeria square,75 minutes for a uni bus to turn up,then a 45 slog through the town before getting to the uni. I didn't even include the walk from the uni to stadium.???

to super generalise, i think the amex crowd is made up of 3 types of fans with a certain attachment to the club.

Type 1. The hardcore support who have been going nonstop through goldstone, gillingham, withdean and amex years.
These guys will stay.

Type 2. New amex comers. These guys have only seen good football and expect nothing less to accompany the stadium than decent players. They will start to go when the expected standard drops.

Type 3. Old goldstone regulars that have returned hoping to find a nostalgia and an older style less corporate environment. They will go when they realise the crap football is not compensated for by this.

spent the last 45 years watching the albion but gave up st this year,been to 4 games and don't expect to go at all next season.
Unless they can pull a £20 ticket out the bag

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here