Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Stonehenge - visiting tips

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£23?? Seriously?

Goodness me. My recollection of it is that it was noisy, busy, can't get near it - and not worth the hype.

The complete opposite of Avebury as others have said on here.
By chance I saw a YT video a while back and, from what I recall, there's a public footpath, accessible to all, which goes about as close to the stones as you go if you pay the English Heritage entrance fee.

I suspect a quick Google for "see Stonehenge for free", or similar, will tell you all you need to know.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We visited it for the first time a couple of years back. It was fine, it was interesting to see it, with the new visitor centre it's well planned out. The walk from there to the Stones is nice, but the shuttle bus runs well. It's not too crowded, you go around it one way, there's no real time limit, you just can't go right up to the stones. We were English Heritage members and so didn't feel the pinch of the £23 entrance price. Would I have done that without EH membership? Maybe just the once to say I've done it, but would've been really disappointed for the price.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Thank you for your useful (& not) advice. I've already got Stonehenge tickets but will take in Avebury as well. I've pointed out the historic and famous Salisbury spire on the way to N Devon before, and so I'll give that a miss.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I went once about 3 years ago. I can’t remember the exact details but I paid a bit extra and visited after all the crowds had gone and you could go right up to the stones and walk around without the crowds for as long as you needed (or so it seemed). It was really worthwhile, I’m not sure if they still do that though and if you have to book it up way in advance.
Having just looked at the website, that looks to be the "Stone Circle Experience".
It appears to cost just under £60.
Weirdly, compared to paying over £20 to stand somewhere vaguely near the stones with a bunch of tourists and peer at them in the distance, that sounds like quite good value.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Just as a tip, English Heritage run Stonehenge but they have an agreement that National Trust members can get in free. Its not that well advertised [see half way down here]

I AM A NATIONAL TRUST MEMBER - DO I HAVE TO PAY?

National Trust members get free entry to Stonehenge. Please choose an 'affiliate member' ticket. Please note, this is applicable to the National Trust in England only – it does not include National Trust Scotland or other international National Trust organisations.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have a photo somewhere of my Dad in the 1950s - he cycled there, and leant his bike up against one of the stones.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Go; it is a world icon. You can see the stones plenty close enough. Best advice is go early or late and avoid weekends. Loads of coaches do day visits from London and tend to arrive 1030 onwards then leave around lunchtime. My wife and I went at 3.00 a year ago out of season and were almost alone.
Agree with others about Avebury. You can walk right up to stones

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Also at Avebury is Silbury Hill the largest artificial mound in Europe and thought to be as old as the pyramids.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Don’t bother stopping it’s over £20 per person to get in and you can’t touch anything

Go just up the road to Avebury stone circle here you can walk around and touch the stones, if the weathers nice have a pint in the pub garden .

Also a museum at Avebury

Also West Kennet long Barrow a Neolithic burial mound and Silbury Hill a prehistoric man made mound.
You can touch yourself though surely?

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Just in case it's relevant, it's free for national trust members as well. We went 2 weeks ago and for free it's ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here