Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Stonehenge - visiting tips

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm going to be visiting Stonehenge next week for the first time in 5 decades. I understand you can't go right up to the stones now but has anyone on here been recently and got any tips? I'm going with my 17yo daughter (who is into history). Also thinking of going into Salisbury.
Cheers.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1692970050302.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm going to be visiting Stonehenge next week for the first time in 5 decades. I understand you can't go right up to the stones now but has anyone on here been recently and got any tips? I'm going with my 17yo daughter (who is into history). Also thinking of going into Salisbury.
Cheers.
If you're daughter's into history, it'd be quicker and cheaper for her to just join NSC.
I'm pretty sure there are some people on here who'll remember Stonehenge going up.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Don’t bother stopping it’s over £20 per person to get in and you can’t touch anything

Go just up the road to Avebury stone circle here you can walk around and touch the stones, if the weathers nice have a pint in the pub garden .

Also a museum at Avebury

Also West Kennet long Barrow a Neolithic burial mound and Silbury Hill a prehistoric man made mound.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A friend of mine recently took some friends from Canada down there. They didn't bother stopping as it rather expensive (£23) unless you are a member of English Heritage.
£23?? Seriously?

Goodness me. My recollection of it is that it was noisy, busy, can't get near it - and not worth the hype.

The complete opposite of Avebury as others have said on here.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
£23?? Seriously?

Goodness me. My recollection of it is that it was noisy, busy, can't get near it - and not worth the hype.

The complete opposite of Avebury as others have said on here.
Yup. Children 12 to 17 £14, so maybe drop her in the car park and wait? :)
Although they will probably fleece you for parking too.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don’t bother stopping it’s over £20 per person to get in and you can’t touch anything

Go just up the road to Avebury stone circle here you can walk around and touch the stones, if the weathers nice have a pint in the pub garden .

Also a museum at Avebury

Also West Kennet long Barrow a Neolithic burial mound and Silbury Hill a prehistoric man made mound.
Seems like sound advice. If your daughter wants to say she’s been there just drop her off for a few minutes and then pick her up and move on.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Cheers.
I went once about 3 years ago. I can’t remember the exact details but I paid a bit extra and visited after all the crowds had gone and you could go right up to the stones and walk around without the crowds for as long as you needed (or so it seemed). It was really worthwhile, I’m not sure if they still do that though and if you have to book it up way in advance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here