Venue:
bet365 Stadium
Date: Saturday 6th January 2024
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Blake Antrobus
Fourth Official: Ben Toner

De Zerbi on Stoke City, Moder fitness and fielding a strong team

Brighton boss Roberto de Zerbi has been speaking to the media before his side's FA Cup third-round tie against Stoke City on Saturday.

Here are the main lines from his news conference:
  • The FA Cup competition is a "very important target" for the club: "We lost the semi-final [last year] in a bad way and we still remember that game. So, it's an important game and I want us to play our best, give our best and play seriously."
  • On opponents Stoke City: "They are a good, aggressive team. In ball possession, they have a very clear style. They play with two full-backs inside of the play. It's another tough game but, to win the game, you have to fight for 90 minutes."
  • In terms of injuries, Adam Webster is "OK" but his physical condition will need to be assessed ahead of the game: "He finished the [last] game with cramp. We don't want to take risks with the players because we cannot lose any more players."
  • Midfielder Jakub Moder will play tomorrow: "He can be important for us because he can play in different positions on the pitch. The other guys love him because he has a great attitude, great behaviour, a very smart player. We're helping him to reach the best condition after his long injury. He needs a lot of time to come back."
  • The FA Cup will not be used as an opportunity to rotate the starting XI: "No. We will play with the best team that I can choose."
  • De Zerbi said his dream is not to lift the FA Cup trophy but to "win tomorrow against Stoke and then to win against Wolves when the Premier League starts again".
  • On wishing Mitoma and Adingra good luck for the Asian Cup and Africa Cup of Nations: "I am the first fan of Japan because I love Japan, and the Ivory coast as well. I am the first fan of my players when they go to play in their national teams."
STATS
  • Stoke and Brighton are meeting for the second consecutive season in the FA Cup, with the Seagulls winning 1-0 away from home in the fifth round last season.
  • Brighton have won just one of their past 18 away games against Stoke in all competitions (D8 L9).
  • Stoke City have lost their past eight FA Cup matches against Premier League opponents, since beating Bolton Wanderers 5-0 in the 2010-11 semi-final.
  • Brighton have lost just one of their past seven FA Cup third-round ties (1-0 v Sheffield Wednesday in 2019-20), reaching the semi-finals last season.
  • Kaoru Mitoma has been involved in four goals in five FA Cup appearances for Brighton (two goals, two assists), with last year's semi-final draw against Manchester United the only game in which he hasn't scored or assisted a goal.

Roberto De Zerbi's Stoke Press Conference

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
On at 11pm our time and I have Paramount !
I will be watching this one and expect us to advance to the next round with confidence................................if I can keep my eyes open, been up since 5.30 this morning and just off to play 'old man's marbles', as the wife calls it.
Going to be 33 degrees today, so will be quite tiring ! (Plus a few pints after !)

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Only question RDZ needs to ask is, can we do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke (or a wet afternoon anyway)?

Should get this done. Won't be easy but u think that they'll play out of their skins for 70-75 mins and then we'll assert ourselves into a comfortable win.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Should be considered a banana skin but I have so much faith in De Zerbi ball that I am feeling very confident today. Moder to be on the score sheet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My last 2 away games

Athens in shorts and t-shirt.

Stoke in...

...Stoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here