Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockport County

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Scarred? That game is one of the all time classics!

Right up there with Leyton Orient in the FA Cup 1998 and Burnley last season... ironically, all games we lost!

Are you some kind of fruit?

Tinpot Man.

Apr 14, 2013
Patcham.
Its scary to see a team like this go down futher. Would be nice to see Wrexham step up from Non-League and back in the football league.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I think it all went wrong when Sale started playing at their ground and Sale's owner got involved with County. Remember chatting to a couple of their fans after the last day survival of a few seasons back - they were very worried then about the club's future.

So pleased we don't have a similar arrangement with a rugby team at The Amex.

Its scary to see a team like this go down futher. Would be nice to see Wrexham step up from Non-League and back in the football league.
Obviously not. Superphil and I intend going to the Play-Off Final to celebrate Newport County tonking our friends from Wrexham.

But we both recognise that this is a minority point of view on NSC.

PS. Wrexham v Kiddy in the first leg of the playoff semis this evening. Grimsby v Newport tomorrow.

Tinpot Man.

Apr 14, 2013
Patcham.
Obviously not. Superphil and I intend going to the Play-Off Final to celebrate Newport County tonking our friends from Wrexham.

But we both recognise that this is a minority point of view on NSC.

PS. Wrexham v Kiddy in the first leg of the playoff semis this evening. Grimsby v Newport tomorrow.

Ill be there at Wembley for the second time this season with Wrexham. family and friends from up there. good day out and was a top win..

Shame to see them loose away at Luton last season. But this year they will triumph.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Up the County...Newport, that is. My grandfather was a Newport County fanatic. They are my second team. I was at Wembley, a year ago, when County played York City in the FA Trophy final.

Got to admire the way Newport County avoided Wrexham in the play-off semis. Seven reserve team players in last Saturday's match against Grimsby (including the worst goalkeeper in professional football) ensured a 3-0 defeat and a play-off encounter with ...er... Grimsby (who will have learned absolutely nothing from the game).

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Got to admire the way Newport County avoided Wrexham in the play-off semis. Seven reserve team players in last Saturday's match against Grimsby (including the worst goalkeeper in professional football) ensured a 3-0 defeat and a play-off encounter with ...er... Grimsby (who will have learned absolutely nothing from the game).

All part of the masterplan...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Graeme Smith plays for Newport County!?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm sure I saw us get spanked 3-0 at the Goldstone by them, when Jimmy Case was manager. It was either the last season there or possibly the penultimate one. I just remember the away fans singing "We are the blues we're Stockport County" for 90 minutes.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are you some kind of fruit?

What kind were you thinking of?

There have been plenty of classics we've won as well, obviously Dagenham at Withdean is right up there for entertainment and drama... Swindon in the play-offs, Doncaster at the Amex...

It's just ironic that we've lost a few of the absolute humdingers. All clubs have them though. Spurs 3-5 Man Utd, for example. Is that not a classic? Or the 4-4 with Arsenal... the complete and utter collapse from 2-0 up to lose 5-2 this season.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Spurs 3-5 Man Utd, for example. Is that not a classic? Or the 4-4 with Arsenal... the complete and utter collapse from 2-0 up to lose 5-2 this season.

No. Not in my view, because I'm a Tottenham fan. To me being 2-0 up against your rivals, and losing 5-2 doesn't class as a classic? Nor does being 3-0 up at HT and losing 5-3.

Quite cleary on different wavelengths here, aren't we?

I suppose you're one of those people who clap other teams goals, if they're screamers?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I suppose you're one of those people who clap other teams goals, if they're screamers?

I have to hold my hand up to that. They've got to be absolute BELTERS though. I think there's only been about 3 to date.

I definitely clapped Ishmail Demontagnac's WORLDY for Walsall at Withdean, and I think I might have clapped the one Crofts scored for Gillingham (that was easy to be magnanamous though, as we were about 4 goals up, and they'd just had someone harshly sent off...)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No. Not in my view, because I'm a Tottenham fan. To me being 2-0 up against your rivals, and losing 5-2 doesn't class as a classic? Nor does being 3-0 up at HT and losing 5-3.

Quite cleary on different wavelengths here, aren't we?

I think of classics are games where the events and incidents of the game are so remembered that whether you picked up three points or not, or are through to the next round of a cup or not, somehow fades into the background. The Stockport game is one. The Crystal Palace penalties game is another.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Must admit, I clapped Carl Baker's drag-back and delicate lob over Kuipers in the Stockport game. Was rare to see such skill in the third tier at Withdean at that time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think of classics are games where the events and incidents of the game are so remembered that whether you picked up three points or not, or are through to the next round of a cup or not, somehow fades into the background. The Stockport game is one. The Crystal Palace penalties game is another.

Agreed. The Kelvin Morton game is the type that if you were there, you'll always remember fondly even if ultimately the result didn't go our way. Obviously in the here and now, its ALL about winning, but when it comes to reminiscing, it doesn't have to work like that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Must admit, I clapped Carl Baker's drag-back and delicate lob over Kuipers in the Stockport game. Was rare to see such skill in the third tier at Withdean at that time.

Good call. Great goal, AND (I think) it was to complete his hat-trick, too.

Stumpy Tim

One of my all-time favourite Goldstone games was one we lost... 3-4 to Millwall. Rocking atmosphere, we went down to ten men and Barry Lloyd just went for it. Gall had a fantastic game and we were unlucky to lose. I love Brighton, but I go to football to be entertained and occasionally Brighton do lose in entertaining fashion. The Arsenal game recently was one such game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here