Stockdale poor again

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe people get fed up with the abuse Stockdale gets on here, which is massively over the top. We had conceded one goal in five games before yesterday, yet apparently according to people on here he had no part in that yet is at fault for both goals yesterday. Personally, I get really annoyed by it because he's a great keeper who gets a lot more abuse from fans than he deserves. It is sad.

Exactly.

It probably stems from the very good defence we have that that on occasion has lapses,yet allows many games pass with Stockers with little or nothing to do,coupled with the fact that Stockdale often seems flat footed (no attempted dives) and the fact that we (for along time) seem have keepers at the club that never seem to play or if they do and do a good job are replaced straight away..

Maybe?

No. He hasn't had to dive recently, but when called upon, does dive well. A penalty save in the north goal comes to mind straightaway, as an excellent dive. When he does look 'flat footed', it's usually because the ball has taken a deflection on the way in.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No. He hasn't had to dive recently, but when called upon, does dive well. A penalty save in the north goal comes to mind straightaway, as an excellent dive. When he does look 'flat footed', it's usually because the ball has taken a deflection on the way in.

Well i would expect a keeper to dive from an penalty,but joking aside we all know he is No1and if it's all we can find fault with at the moment then we are not doing to bad....the Question remains when Walton comes back do we get rid of 2 keepers....

Personally i think the break has knocked us and we shall pickup on what won't be an easy evening tuesday (probably for the best).

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Maybe people get fed up with the abuse Stockdale gets on here, which is massively over the top. We had conceded one goal in five games before yesterday, yet apparently according to people on here he had no part in that yet is at fault for both goals yesterday. Personally, I get really annoyed by it because he's a great keeper who gets a lot more abuse from fans than he deserves. It is sad.
Of course he had a part in conceding 1 in 5 games. However I went to all of those games and 99% of the time I can't recall anything other than run of the mill goalkeeping/a few saves from long range efforts. I'd be interested to know what scores he got in the player ratings threads, I can't imagine he averaged more than a 7 despite all the clean sheets, when he has been called into serious action he has been found lacking this season

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Most of the goals conceded at home this season have been caused by Bruno

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Of course he had a part in conceding 1 in 5 games. However I went to all of those games and 99% of the time I can't recall anything other than run of the mill goalkeeping/a few saves from long range efforts. I'd be interested to know what scores he got in the player ratings threads, I can't imagine he averaged more than a 7 despite all the clean sheets, when he has been called into serious action he has been found lacking this season

Well try harder. He made a brilliant save at 2-0 at Sheffield Wednesday. It was going into the top corner. He also made a couple of good saves against Barnsley and did everything he needed in the other games. Again, it shows an anti Stockdale when you forget any good things he does and blame him for goals that aren't his fault.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You are allowing your bias to cloud your memory.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

If you say so.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Well try harder. He made a brilliant save at 2-0 at Sheffield Wednesday. It was going into the top corner. He also made a couple of good saves against Barnsley and did everything he needed in the other games. Again, it shows an anti Stockdale when you forget any good things he does and blame him for goals that aren't his fault.

A brilliant save? Was that from a 30/35 yard strike which was a save for the cameras? He did make one good save in the Barnsley game, that's it. I am not biased nor do I have an 'anti Stockdale agenda' the only game which I can honestly say he really played above average this season was the Derby game. He was very good last season but has reached nowhere near that level this season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You have a point, but ruin it by hyperbole. He isn't woefully out of form. The last minute goal at Wednesday was the first goal conceded for a long time. Our defence was at fault yesterday too. Shall we drop Duffy & Bruno too?

Morning @Thunder_Bolt. He is out of form IMO, he is indecisive when the ball is in the air, a little bit flappy at the moment and as per my earlier post, whilst undoubtedly 60/40 towards Bruno played a part in the first and arguably the second goal.

Interestingly like his first season with us when he was also not quite 'firing on all cyclinders', he missed pre-season and he does seem to be a player that benefits from a good pre-season.

Al of that aside, a good player does not become bad overnight, he is a good goalie but just going through a difficult period. But as has been pointed out, he was also the same keeper that didn't concede a goal for a significant time, but that wasn't just him it was also Bruno (who was shocking in the first half yesterday), Duffy who also was a little sloppy yesterday on the second, Dunk (brilliant all season), and Bong who may would have you believe is the worst left back in the division (but after a difficult start is coming back to form).

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's highly amusing when you ever dare to post a thread criticizing a player you get labeled a 'hater' and accused of 'not getting behind the team'. Stockdale is clearly a good keeper but is woefully out of form. And yes I acknowledge that there were big errors from other players leading up to both goals yesterday, that doesn't automatically mean Stockdale is blameless. I will still give him my full support if CH decides to pick him on Tuesday, just don't buy all this 'credit in the bank' shite. If we want to finish top 2 we have to be reactive with our team selection and we have the squad to do that. If a striker is not scoring goals you drop him, same should go for a goalkeeper who has conceded some soft goals this season.

Woefully out of form? Nonsense. Apart from what I've seen with my own eyes, he has made the Talksport EFL team of the season so far so can't be doing that badly. It's a strange quirk of some people that they simply can't wait to lay into certain players for reasons I'll never understand.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Woefully out of form? Nonsense. Apart from what I've seen with my own eyes, he has made the Talksport EFL team of the season so far so can't be doing that badly. It's a strange quirk of some people that they simply can't wait to lay into certain players for reasons I'll never understand.

Talk sport team of the season? You do realise they probably don't see any of the games and give it to the keeper in the team with the best defensive record?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm surprised by some of the anti Stockdale comments. Keepers make mistakes. The fact that he makes an individual mistake seems to me to be irrelevant. The first goal yesterday was a shambles but Bruno was as much to blame with that back pass. I can think of other errors by Stockdale (and other players) but more importantly I can think of crucial match winning saves and excellent
distribution (if I couldn't then I wouldn't write this post). The anti Stockdale stuff seems to be an agenda where every mistake is highlighted and everything positive ignored. There is usually a player being used as a target in this way (guess it's instead of kicking the cat).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's highly amusing when you ever dare to post a thread criticizing a player you get labeled a 'hater' and accused of 'not getting behind the team'. Stockdale is clearly a good keeper but is woefully out of form. And yes I acknowledge that there were big errors from other players leading up to both goals yesterday, that doesn't automatically mean Stockdale is blameless. I will still give him my full support if CH decides to pick him on Tuesday, just don't buy all this 'credit in the bank' shite. If we want to finish top 2 we have to be reactive with our team selection and we have the squad to do that. If a striker is not scoring goals you drop him, same should go for a goalkeeper who has conceded some soft goals this season.

Do you think we should also drop Bruno ? It could be argued that his form has been poor since reverting to right back ?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Not reading all this thread because it's basically a Stockdale bashing one.

You try dealing with a 20 yard lobbed in the air backpass. It was ridiculous from Bruno.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This comment is an absolute joke. Stockdale gets no credit for anything good but is blamed for everything bad. Whatever you say, Bruno is massively at fault for the first. There was no pressure on him to do that. He could have done anything. Stockdale didn't deal with it but I don't think many keepers would. As for the second, I've seen the replay and it is poor defending and the header is right in the corner.

Do you not see why comments like this make some think there's an anti Stockdale agenda from some posters.
The Preston keeper dealt with similar situation second half and headed the ball away your talking shite mate that was school boy stuff from Stockdale and he probably would be the first to admit it. He got caught in two minds when he worked out he couldn't catch the ball.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's well known I wasn't a fan of Stockdale when he first arrived, or times at the start of last season. But I've changed my mind, not to the extent that I think he's best in the league etc, but he's a good enough goalkeeper for where we want to be in the league. Part of that is his distribution, he made a mistake yesterday but I hope it doesn't dissuade him from trying the same thing again if required. Bruno felt comfortable playing that ball knowing 9/10, Stockdale takes it down on his chest and plays a long pass toward Murray. No problem. Yesterday was the 1/10, get off his back.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The Preston keeper dealt with similar situation second half and headed the ball away your talking shite mate that was school boy stuff from Stockdale and he probably would be the first to admit it. He got caught in two minds when he worked out he couldn't catch the ball.

Complete drivel. Another of the anti Stockdale brigade come along and join in the abuse. Pathetic.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A brilliant save? Was that from a 30/35 yard strike which was a save for the cameras? He did make one good save in the Barnsley game, that's it. I am not biased nor do I have an 'anti Stockdale agenda' the only game which I can honestly say he really played above average this season was the Derby game. He was very good last season but has reached nowhere near that level this season

I can't believe this. You actually think that was a regulation save. Clearly showing your bias. There's no point in debating with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports