Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale MoM

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is not how it appears by posts on here in fact I thought that you were a club employee until recently when you said not

Would club employee's views be popular? I very much doubt it, looking at responses to Chaileyjem (who isn't a club employee as far as I know)
It also goes to show that you don't follow my posts very closely because I have criticised Paul Barber just this week, and am also doubting the capabilities of Chris Hughton to play anything but defensive negative football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would club employee's views be popular? I very much doubt it, looking at responses to Chaileyjem (who isn't a club employee as far as I know)
It also goes to show that you don't follow my posts very closely because I have criticised Paul Barber just this week, and am also doubting the capabilities of Chris Hughton to play anything but defensive negative football.

I must admit to not reading all your posts basically those that differ with mine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale has to be released in the summer. No hope of the premier league with Mr calamity in goal.[/QUOTE

On his showing this season I would agree but we paid £1m for him it is said, so we have to stick with him or lose a lot of money. We can only hope that with improvements to the back four he may not be so exposed and shine next season.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
With Walton in goal we'd be mid table and not worrying about relegation.

Utter rubbish. The whole team's been terrible all year & the defence in particular while Sami was here were utterly useless. Putting a (good) young keeper behind that would've been disastrous & could have seriously hurt his confidence & development

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or possibly midtable without his mistakes. I wonder if a statician can work out whether he has gained or lost us most points. Adam Virgo said on the radio he has cost us more than he has gained but is that staistically correct.

It's not statistically provable.

You can hypothetically remove his mistakes or his notable saves. But why is a notable save more important than a mundane one? They both stop the ball going in the goal. How bad must a mistake be to be taken worth removing for this hypothetical? For me, while it his positioning and reaction to the free kick v Bournemouth last Friday was undeniably an error of his, I don't feel it is such an unusual error that it is worth listing as a points costing mistake.

Even if we agreed that the free kick thing was a big enough mistake to include, how can we say that cost us the game? You also have to be a clairvoyant. If we didn't concede from that free kick, who is to say we wouldn't have conceded what was the second goal anyway?

So it is very contentious and in no way a fact, or statistically correct or statistically incorrect.

For what it's worth, my reckoning is (limiting it to notable saves/errors with the idea that you assume any keeper makes mundane saves/errors, it's the notable ones that Stockdale contributes):
Charlton Admitted fault for first goal -2pts
Blackpool Saved a one on one +1pt
Nottm Forest Clean sheet, good save from a looping defelected shot +1pt
Cardiff Rashly ran out to the edge of the area needlessly leaving the goal open for Jones to score the equaliser a minute after we took the lead deflating the crowd and the team. Made a one-on-one save in the second half to keep it 1-1 -2/+1
Middlesbrough Beaten at the near post after parrying initial shot -2
Rotherham Great game, saved goal bound Greer clearance, NSC Motm +1
Norwich Threw the ball straight to a norwich player to set up their attack for the equaliser, several good saves at 2-1 to give us the chance to equalise -2/+1
Wolves Good reaction save at 1-0 in the first half, and a couple of alert saves late in the second at 1-0, joint NSC MotM with JFC. +1
Fulham Couple of good/great saves at 1-0 +3
Nottm Forest At fault for first goal, two minutes after we took the lead, very similar to the Cardiff incident -1
Sheff Wed Couple of great saves over the match to keep us in it, NSC MotM +1
Birmingham Early save parried the ball softly to the feet of Birmingham player who skied it, made himself big to keep it at 1-1. saved a penalty, was unsighted for goals two and three +3
Derby A couple of important saves at 0-0, calm and controlled when 1-0 and 2-0, NSC MotM +3
Reading Gifted Reading possession trying to pass to Ince who wasn't ready, leading to the goal. Great double save at 2-1 during a goal mouth scramble -1
Wolves Good save at 0-0 after Dunk slipped, good save just before half time, fumbled a shot to let Wolves equalise 1-1. Great save late in the last minute -2/+1
Blackburn Good save late in the first half to keep it 0-1, great save in the second to keep it 0-1 +3

20 in the plus column (points earned), 12 in the minus column (points lost).

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Feb 14, 2010
I dont get the "he made a save" so its a point to the Keeper. He is a keeper he gets paid make saves, now howlers. No more apologies, he also has not been good enough by a long way. If the argument is that "he has not been as bad as the striker" well, really, is that an argument worth having as the whole "they are worse than me" argument is futile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here