Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still think we’re safe?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree; I couldn't understand the gung-ho hubristic comments that some on here were spouting yesterday, including wanting Villa to beat Palace.??? That result and Bournemouth's win over Leicester has, no doubt , brought a more sober assessment to the fore.
With Watford, Hammers, Bournemouth and Villa all winning and us shipping goals, the situation has changed.Our three games are by no means easy and I just hope that our goal shy team can conjure up something and get us over the line.
I think we will get there, but this is the Albion we are talking about.:rolleyes:

You mean Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth and Villa all having games you probably would expect them to get results from, and us playing ManCity is a fair assessment of them being winning teams and us shipping goals?:rolleyes:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You mean Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth and Villa all having games you probably would expect them to get results from, and us playing ManCity is a fair assessment of them being winning teams and us shipping goals?:rolleyes:

The main thrust of my post was to agree with the previous poster that we weren't definitely safe and that I couldn't understand the gungo-ho overconfident views of some on here, that it was all done and dusted. In particular, I found it strange that they would prefer Villa to beat Palace rather than the other way round and thus aid our Prem. survival. I think it is fair to say that most took that view.
As far as the recent results are concerned, I didn't expect Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth and Villa to all win, but that is my view. How many would have forecast that? I reckoned Palace and Villa to draw, Newcastle to either beat or draw with Watford, West Ham to win and Bournemouth to lose to Leicester.Of course, I thought we would lose to City, but we were pretty poor.My point in saying things have changed, was that by our rivals all winning and us losing heavily, not only did we give up goal difference advantage to West Ham, but that the question of our safety or otherwise became rather more of a matter of debate than it may have been.
I am not saying they have suddenly become 'winning teams', but the results have certainly put some wind in their sails and made things tighter than might have been the case..Conversely, I hope that our confidence hasn't taken too much of a knock ( especially Ryan?) and that we can do what we have to do to stay up. After all, this is the Albion.:thumbsup:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The main thrust of my post was to agree with the previous poster that we weren't definitely safe and that I couldn't understand the gungo-ho overconfident views of some on here, that it was all done and dusted. In particular, I found it strange that they would prefer Villa to beat Palace rather than the other way round and thus aid our Prem. survival. I think it is fair to say that most took that view.

Great post! Excuse my editing. You say you found it strange. I could and did think of a few .. er .. rather stronger adjectives. I really couldn't believe it, and that was when they were posted and not after yesterday's results!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We are safe would take freak results to send us down and for us to be shit house last 3 games .I still have hope of catching Palace

I agree it would take freak results.

Watford probably need to beat West Ham because they have two tricky ones next (city and arsenal). West Ham will want to beat Watford because they have Man U away and then could be a winner takes all vs villa.

Villa have Everton and arsenal before West Ham and they probably need to win all of them. So if West Ham don’t beat Watford then they are likely to need to avoid defeat to villa which would mean villa unlikely to get above us Unless they beat both Everton and arsenal then a draw would take them above us.

Bournemouth have city away so surely they lose that?! Then they have to beat saints and Everton to get above us by a point.

So it is pretty tricky for three of those teams to get above us and that assumes we don’t get anymore points!

Of all the sides down there we have the easiest last three.

So erm....see you in the champo

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Our final three games are against teams above us. Normally, we'd take some points, but under stress, and with lowered confidence (?) we may not. I wasn't surprised we lost against the 3 big boys but I was surprised at the total hit on our goal difference: effectively we got minus 1 point from those three games.

We still have + 5 on Watford + 8 on PLB and + 11 on Villa.

Muff and Watford still have to play City.

I think our GD is still worth a point.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No way are we safe. We should be ok but that is far from definite. GP needs to get ONE winning performance from the team against opponents who have far less to play for and he has three games to do it.

TB will be watching and I would think will be at least a trifle disappointed with the showings against Man United and Man City which I expect went worldwide.

The team needs to deliver now and we should not be looking over our shoulder at other results and hoping.

Potter will have always been targeting wins in the next 3 games, which is why the 11 selected for City was weak with the realistic acceptance that we were never likely to win or even draw. Fully expect to see Burn, Lamptey and Maupey in the starting 11, and probably Biss and McArgie as well judging by their form so far in the last 6 games.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Said same to mate earlier. Never ever underestimate Albions ability to snatch defeat from jaws victory. If one team is capable of finishing in bottom threee against all odds a few games ago then it’s us. The number of short memory happy clappy rose tinted utter JCL goons who follow our club and don’t know it’s DNA pre 2011 is appalling. But those of us who’ve been in it for an age know precisely what we’re capable of doing!

Really? I remember great escapes under Gritt and Slade, staying up in tough situations under McGhee, Poyet and Hughton three times, and hopefully again under Potter - but I'm struggling to think of any seasons where we fell to relegation from a good position - where we "finished in bottom 3 against all odds"

We've been relegated six times in my supporting history and to my memory in each one we were crap and in trouble for many months before the end. 83, 87, 92, 96, 03, 06

But you've got the long memory so please enlighten us goons :lolol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Really? I remember great escapes under Gritt and Slade, staying up in tough situations under McGhee, Poyet and Hughton three times, and hopefully again under Potter - but I'm struggling to think of any seasons where we fell to relegation from a good position - where we "finished in bottom 3 against all odds"

We've been relegated six times in my supporting history and to my memory in each one we were crap and in trouble for many months before the end. 83, 87, 92, 96, 03, 06

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing reading through this thread. In the relegations I remember, we’ve been crap all season and generally been in he bottom 3 well before the season finished. Yet for some reason loads have been saying ‘typical Albion’, ‘we always do things the hard way’ etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Talking about generally. Using a general, lighthearted well know phrase that many fans identify with and use. Again. FFS, Dullard alert or wot punk:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Looking at Saints tonight the only thing we're going to get from them is another big reduction in our GD, these are a very good team.

:nono:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Looking at Saints tonight the only thing we're going to get from them is another big reduction in our GD, these are a very good team.

:nono:
Praying for Man City to have beaten Bournemouth on Wednesday, and Everton to beat Villa earlier on Thursday.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think that Southampton getting an equaliser in the 96th minute, pressing hard all game and playing us 72 hours later, after a long journey home tonight, should mean we are more rested. Whether that gives us an advantage is another thing. We'll need a quick start.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
It's amazing how Saints have turned things round after their 0-9 thrashing at home to Leicester and then losing their next three games including a 1-4 home defeat to Chelsea. And looking at them tonight they're playing some really attractive attacking football and it's paying off.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
It's amazing how Saints have turned things round after their 0-9 thrashing at home to Leicester and then losing their next three games including a 1-4 home defeat to Chelsea. And looking at them tonight they're playing some really attractive attacking football and it's paying off.

Maybe they have a manager that inspires confidence and he doesn’t make whole sale changes every week!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe they have a manager that inspires confidence and he doesn’t make whole sale changes every week!

They were utter shite through the first half of the season. Huss's job was hanging by a thread. Now he's a genius again. Players get confidence, make managers look good. Players lose confidence, make managers look bad. So much is put on managers these days it's untrue. They don't kick the friggin ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here